The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

Well, BVS does show that people built a statue of him which the news calls a beloved monument. Keefes wall is covered in news articles of about rescues and Perry mentions the end of the publics "love affair" with him. We see people painting his symbol on their roof, screaming fans wearing clothes "Superman Saves". Bruce mentions the Daily Planet writes puff pieces about him and Kahina says "they say he's a hero".
And as in Grant Morrisions New 52 run, he has a crisis of faith when the public turns against him.
It's all very well showing that he is loved, but, we want to see the meat on the bones.

I agree, He took a huge step back with superman in BVS.
Instead of a hero that honestly cares about people, for me, superman in BvS came across as a movie or rock star that 'can't' be bothered until he is pushed to.

The point I was trying to make is that by not showing us Clark in his happiest and warmest moments, it challenges our natural predilection to judge people based on only small interactions with them. We rarely consider a persons life outside of what we ourselves see. "The one time I met someone they were angry, so they are probably an angry person". But everyone gets angry sometimes. We more readily prescribe someones actions to their character, discarding the myriad situational factors that could be involved.
This is what Batman does, his first impression of Superman is a negative one, he decides Superman is a force for ill and stubbornly refuses to consider alternate possibilities.

Misunderstanding and misjudging people happens throughout the film, it's trying to make the audience consider whether it is too quick to judge, too willing to look at a few snippets of someones life and assuming that's all there is too them.
Look at the first appearances of several characters in the film. Superman is presented as a disaster, Batman as a monster, Wonder Woman as a thief, Lex Luthor as a fun people person seeking to protect democracy. It's showing that first impressions can't be trusted.
In a single scene we have Lois clarifying that she isn't a lady but a journalist, a CIA agent posing as a photographer and Luthors goons pretending to be there to help the rebels then executing them. This scene coming very early in the film is a primer, to demonstrate that we shouldn't make assumptions about anything that is to come because we may be having wool pulled over our eyes.
BVS repeatedly reinforces the idea that we shouldn't take things at face value, that we should take more time to imagine what we haven't seen.
Just because we don't see Superman take cats out of trees and be lauded by the public, doesn't mean it didn't happen. There is plenty of evidence throughout the movie to show what kind of person he Superman is, but there are also people like Luthor, Bruce and Keefe who dismiss it or try to twist it.

The idea of Superman as a god is Luthors, he pushes that concept throughout the film. He has scripted Kahinas testimony "a sound like the sky cracked open, then came fire... he answers to noone, not even I think to God."
He himself say things like:
"The basis of our myths, gods among men"
"the kindness of monsters"
"devils don't come from hell beneath us, no, they come from the sky"
"There was a war between gods and men"
"The problem of you on top of everything else. You above all. Because that's what God is; Horus, Apollo, Jehovah, Kal-El, Clark Joseph Kent."
"If man won't kill God, the Devil will do it"
"Ding Dong, the god is dead."
Luthor is fixed on framing Superman as a god in order to make him seem less human, and I think it's fair to think he manipulated the media and public opinion just as he did Bruce.

But as the film stresses, things aren't always as they appear, we need to look past Luthors propaganda to find the truth, we shouldn't accept Luthors point of view, we should consider other perspectives.

that's not what a want from a batman/superman movie...

that's not what a want from a batman/superman movie...

I think it’s fair to say most people didn’t. What we got was a niche take and the first film with Batman & Superman needed to be a crowd pleaser. They really blew it.

I think it’s fair to say most people didn’t. What we got was a niche take and the first film with Batman & Superman needed to be a crowd pleaser. They really blew it.

totally... i think it was too soon to tell that story, with that director, maybe wrong in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, that story, told to a bunch of execs, i can see why they got excited, the layered narrative etc, i get it. But, it needed to be translated to screen in a different way, for the first movie, in my opinion.

Had we had a solo batman where we knew he was good, but could see superman and lex took it's toll, you can understand, but Bruce's hate for superman, from that movie alone looked forced even tho i am sure a lot of us could see where snyder was coming from.

Trouble is, had they tweaked BvS ever so slightly, could have been a great movie.

totally... i think it was too soon to tell that story, with that director, maybe wrong in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, that story, told to a bunch of execs, i can see why they got excited, the layered narrative etc, i get it. But, it needed to be translated to screen in a different way, for the first movie, in my opinion.

Had we had a solo batman where we knew he was good, but could see superman and lex took it's toll, you can understand, but Bruce's hate for superman, from that movie alone looked forced even tho i am sure a lot of us could see where snyder was coming from.

Trouble is, had they tweaked BvS ever so slightly, could have been a great movie.

I can see why they got excited too but the warning signs were there from the of Steel (which I love mind) that Snyder (at least with free reign) wasn’t the right man for this project.

I do agree though that some changes could have fixed the issues of the film quite easily. Which maybe if Snyder had had someone there with him reigning stuff in it could have worked.

I can see why they got excited too but the warning signs were there from the of Steel (which I love mind) that Snyder (at least with free reign) wasn’t the right man for this project.

I do agree though that some changes could have fixed the issues of the film quite easily. Which maybe if Snyder had had someone there with him reigning stuff in it could have worked.

The trailer for MOS was amazing, the movie i saw... wasn't amazing, but it was good, to me it felt.. i left feeling empty like i had just watched a super trailer of a trilogy... it didn't have time to breath and expand on stuff... i guess pacing was the key and it didn't flesh out key moments... who wouldn't have loved to got to know clark, whilst on that fishing trawler, interacting around the table, akin to the movie jaws - why he was a nomad, where was he headed etc.

The bar, who was that girl, how and why was he there, another missed oppertunity.

I wanted to see the 'flight' montage extended to him interacting with kids, a rescue... catching a home run mid flight over kansas - how the world reacts. Is it a hoax?

But going back to BvS it should have been such a lighter tone, show us the city and world loving superman see him be this champion - then cut to this cold and calculated man luthor, who hates seeing that, but also, upon his screens, he has access to everything, cctv, files the lot - have him know who the batman is, after all, what does he care if some man with ptsd in a cape stops clowns from causing havoc - he's got bigger fish to fry and we see him playing them both off each other.

Metallo could be the big bad at the end, not doomsday. But finish the movie with a lexcorp lab full of embryo's and clark clones.

I like the idea of Lex being more of a supporting character and an emerging threat as opposed to being the big bad right off the bat and coming after Superman head on. I like the L&C, Smallville, and STAS type of Lex who's as important a supporting character as Lois Lane ,and who, while being up to something, is not always behind everything.

I'd first establish some of Superman's other foes and rogues, to establish that Superman has more enemies than just Lex and Zod, and that there are other threats in Metropolis which aren't connected to Lex Luthor or other Kryptonians.

Aside from Superman 3 , which had Ross Webster, Nuclear Man and Doomsday as a weapons, Steppenwolf who appeared in crossover films, the other Superman 1,2,4, Superman Returns, Man of Steel, Batman vs Superman, have basically exclusively featured Lex or Zod as the main villain.

I'd want to see foes like Intergang, Metallo, Livewire, Brainiac, Parasite, Toyman etc, first before building up to having Lex be the sole villain in a Superman film.
Exactly how I'd like to see it handled. Build up the big guns over time while taking the opportunity to introduce villains we haven't seen before, before the main guys take centre stage.

Not confident we’re getting a movie any time soon now that we know he’s getting a TV series next fall.

Not confident we’re getting a movie any time soon now that we know he’s getting a TV series next fall.
Honestly, I don't think it'll happen for some while now. With rumours/speculation that Melissa Benoist won't renew her Supergirl contract, I can see Supergirl moving to the big screen whilst Superman takes her place on the CW.

Honestly, I don't think it'll happen for some while now. With rumours/speculation that Melissa Benoist won't renew her Supergirl contract, I can see Supergirl moving to the big screen whilst Superman takes her place on the CW.
Yeah this seems like the more likely scenario to me at the moment. But dammit, they’d better include Superman in some form in that Supergirl film. I’m not here for a Supergirl origin that ignores his existence.

Ugh. They should co-exist at best. I don’t begrudge Supergirl for getting a chance to shine, but I don’t want it to come at Superman’s expense. I’d feel a lot better about the show if it were on HBO or Netflix or something, but for it to be a CW series is...well...kind of beneath the character IMO. But I could settle for him being an important supporting character in a SG franchise.

My concern is WB using Supergirl to replace Superman on the big screen rather than using it to expand the Superman universe.

So tired of Lex and Zod; I really hoped Braniac would appear in a Superman movie first, but if the Supergirl movie is awesome I won't complain.

Ugh. They should co-exist at best. I don’t begrudge Supergirl for getting a chance to shine, but I don’t want it to come at Superman’s expense. I’d feel a lot better about the show if it were on HBO or Netflix or something, but for it to be a CW series is...well...kind of beneath the character IMO. But I could settle for him being an important supporting character in a SG franchise.
The positive I see it's Superman really going mainstream on a major network. It doesn't have the prestige of an HBO or even Netflix but it's potential for a big audience. That probably will affect the type of stories we get but I am curious to see Superman in that context, since he is such a big character and a lot of people have an opinion on him.

I think Superman on the big screen was on hiatus regardless of the new show or even the Supergirl movie. I think when the Cavill contract talks broke down that’s when WB decided rather than try to correct the mistakes made with that version they’d just put the breaks on Superman on the big screen. I think think the CW producers who has been pushing for the Superman show got the greenlight. So it’s rather instead of having a long break with no Superman they decided they could go ahead & make a TV show with a version of Superman that has been well received.

And I think the Supergirl movie was going to happen anyway even if Cavill has signed. It may just be that they had to tweak their approach to that project when they knew they no longer had a Superman.

I kind of love it? Still not sold on Pattinson but I love everything else

Henry Golding would be great in the role. When I saw the trailer for Last Christmas he really gave off that #Superman vibe.

J.J. Abrams and the Secrets of ‘Skywalker’
Abrams just struck a massive production deal with Disney rival WarnerMedia, which could get his hands on Superman, Batman, and the rest of the DC Comics pantheon — there are a notable number of Superman toys among the whimsical decorations downstairs. “We haven’t had those discussions yet,” Abrams says, not quite convincingly.

If nothing comes of this, I'm coming for you, Rolling Stone. :argh:

Abrams on Superman would be fine I suppose but the idea just doesn't excite me. I feel like the next Superman director should be fairly young filmmaker who is ready to make that leap after a few interesting smaller films. Someone like Nolan, who was exactly what Batman needed at the time. Or Ryan Coogler on Black Panther. Not saying more established directors couldn't work magic on the character but I'm not that interested in Abrams' potential Superman at this time. Perhaps I will feel different about having seen TROS.

I feel like if any IP has ever needed the safe hands of an established director who knows how to make a crowd-pleaser and seems to specialize in revitalizing flagging franchises and making them feel fresh again with the GA, it's Superman. I'm all for giving the reins to an up-and-comer for the 2nd installment (JJ has a short attention span), but Supes needs a surefire hit for his next return, imo. I'm lukewarm on JJ as a filmmaker but the dude is in-tune with what what works for mass audiences in a way that very few writer-director-producers out there are. He could introduce a new Supes that the people could get behind, I'm sure of it. And then he can help choose his successor, much like he did when he passed the reins on to Brad Bird and Chris McQuarrie on Mission: Impossible.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"