The Daily Planet - Superman News and Speculation Thread

This'd be a huge W

Sorry, this is what I got out of that:
Lindelof: [JJ]’s had a long-term obsession with Superman. I guess what I would say is I would love to see a J.J. Superman movie, but I don't have a take on the character that would be better than that."
:D

This'd be a huge W

Not everything Lindelof writes is gold (looking at you Tomorrowland) but after Watchmen they should just give him whatever property he has an interest in. No questions asked, just let him bring his Leftovers/Watchmen team and do whatever they want.

I'll give JJ this, he definitely seems... passionate about the character, haha.
Despite JJ's passion for constructing an interesting story and then surgically removing all the narrative meat 'til the story becomes at best a flashy skeleton I... Wouldn't mind him relaunching Superman? We'd get a great cast and I do think there are some aspects he'd nail. Wouldn't want him to direct a whole trilogy or anything because JJ's track record with sequels is atrocious - Into Darkness is a weird 9/11 truther parable and Rise of Skywalker felt like he was deeply ashamed of his own creations and was more of a desperate, cloying apology than an actual story.

Not everything Lindelof writes is gold (looking at you Tomorrowland) but after Watchmen they should just give him whatever property he has an interest in. No questions asked, just let him bring his Leftovers/Watchmen team and do whatever they want.
Him and his Watchmen crew already used Superman's origin as a jumping off-point for a beautiful origin story of their own

While a complete reboot would probably be the simplest route, I'm cool with Cavill possibly coming back. Maybe I'm biased because he was my choice for the role going back to the Flyby days, but I've enjoyed him in the role despite the movies him appearing in having serious flaws.
Please God, no. I've had enough with reboot talk. They have their expanded universe, save trying to recreate it, they just need to fix what they've got.

It's been said already, but they've got solid performances out of Jason, Gal and Zack (Levi) who are undoubtedly still on board for future films, and Cavil is still interested in portraying Superman. You've got four members of the Justice League nailed down, be that independent films or not.

I don't know if they're going to have Patterson's Batman enter the fray here, but that can be done via time travel shenanigans if they really wanted too - although I suspect that his Batman would be a self contained trilogy, much alike Phoenix's Joker film. I can't even think what they're going to do with Batfleck, short of an actual recast. Successful or not, I don't see Affleck returning after the Snyder cut, not unless he signs a deal similar to Cavil and comes in more as a cameo/supporting role, but they're going to need an actual Batman for an eventual JL sequel, and I doubt very much that Ben is on for that, unfortunately.

WW84, the Suicide Squad sequel, Patterson's Batman, Black Adam, the Flash, Shazam 2 and Aquaman 2 are the next films to be released, and in that order, although one does wonder whether the Flash will be postponed (again). I know also that there's a bunch of other projects in early development, but honestly, WB should be looking to get a Green Lantern Corps going before anything else. Whether it's within the next five years or longer, a Justice League sequel is going to need an active member of the Lantern Corps, among other characters (such as Hawkgirl, and maybe Martian Manhunter if the Snyder Cut allows for that transition).

With reports suggesting cavill is not actually in negotiations i don't think reboot talk should be out of the question and in all honesty same goes for flash. WB/DC should be on a "keep what works, flip what doesn't" mentality right now imo, especially if they still what connective tissue.

And I know the Snyder cut has everyone all excited. But thats still just a new cut of a plot and a reworked scenes of a movie that we've already seen. Its not releasing in theaters or even across all streaming platforms. Its not a completely new movie.

He is still kind of in negotiations though, it’s talks that’s what negotiations are. It’s pretty clear if Cavill ends up signing up for something then he’s staying on and it won’t be rebooted before he’s done another solo.

Bringing Cavill back brings back all of the baggage that goes with him, rebooting it would be far easier, less hassle.

Cavill has an already built in fan base, he will actually bring more positives coming back than baggage. As we are seeing with the Snyder Cut too, there’s demand which means there’s money to be made with these actors in the roles.

With reports suggesting cavill is not actually in negotiations i don't think reboot talk should be out of the question and in all honesty same goes for flash. WB/DC should be on a "keep what works, flip what doesn't" mentality right now imo, especially if they still what connective tissue.

And I know the Snyder cut has everyone all excited. But thats still just a new cut of a plot and a reworked scenes of a movie that we've already seen. Its not releasing in theaters or even across all streaming platforms. Its not a completely new movie.
Flash needs a re-cast. That film is gonna bomb to kingdom come if they keep Ezra on-board.

I like Henry Cavill and think he could be a great Superman if given great material. I would be interested to see David Sandberg get to work with him, as Shazam! was able to tackle some of the baseline tone a Superman movie could have. Also just to see him work under a different director would be good, this would be his chance to show it was Zack Snyder's vision that was holding him back.

Wouldn't mind if they redesigned the suit a bit either...

Bringing Cavill back brings back all of the baggage that goes with him, rebooting it would be far easier, less hassle.
That baggage didn't seem to hurt Momoa or Gadot in their solo ventures

I'm not opposed to a reboot but lets be real, a reboot wouldn't generate the same buzz continuing with Henry would

Mamoa and Gadot were pretty well received before their solo movies though. Gadot only having an extended cameo. Where as there has been vocal criticism of cavill and the movies he headlined. I like cavill a lot but im not so attacted that I would be sad to see him go. It was the same for ben.

That baggage didn't seem to hurt Momoa or Gadot in their solo ventures
There was no baggage to bring. Their lore, setting, and supporting cast, were barely presented if at all.

I'm not opposed to a reboot but lets be real, a reboot wouldn't generate the same buzz continuing with Henry would
Henry's popular...outside the role. Superman is in fact his only main role that's actually held back his popularity and trajectory upwards.

Hitting the reboot button once more may seem repetitive and desperate, but a full-on reset means a brand new slate. A blank canvas is always exciting because anything is possible.

It absolutely would.
The mere mention of Henry being back in talks and 'MOS2', 'Superman' and 'Henry Cavill' all became big trending topics despite Corona and the ongoing riots dominating social media circles

A reboot with some unknown actor wouldn't do that

The mere mention of Henry being back in talks and 'MOS2', 'Superman' and 'Henry Cavill' all became big trending topics despite Corona and the ongoing riots dominating social media circles

Yeah because Pattinson hasn’t trended at all after being cast as Batman. :o A new face being cast in an iconic role in a major blockbuster always gets attention and buzz. Reboots get plenty of hype, generally speaking.

That's a short-sighted view.

How much hype did Gal or Jason have when they were respectively cast? Didn't set off Twitter trends. But their solo ventures eventually came out, and now they're the saviors of this franchise. Arguably the two biggest reasons the DCEU is still technically continuing.

Henry alone couldn't inspire and lift this universe in 3 films, with what Gal and Jason did with their one. And if you wanna go by social ticks, Jason has almost 4 million more IG followers, and Gal is over triple Henry's. Look at what unknown's can do. ;)

Yeah because Pattinson hasn’t trended at all after being cast as Batman. :o A new face being cast in an iconic role in a major blockbuster always gets attention and buzz. Reboots get plenty of hype, generally speaking.
That's Batman tho. Anything Batman related gets people talking. People are used to him being recast and rebooted all the time anyway

That's Batman tho. Anything Batman related gets people talking. People are used to him being recast and rebooted all the time anyway
And? Superman’s iconic, and just because Henry’s version was a disappointment doesn’t mean there’s not an appetite for the character. A new face/reboot would arguably get MORE buzz, just like MoS had before people actually saw it and were underwhelmed.

The comments in the "Variety" article about talks weren't very supportive of Cavill at all. He and his Superman do carry a lot of baggage, some of it not his fault. Also they would be starting this series with an actor who is almost 40, seems somewhat late in the game. If Cavill comes back, at least we get Amy Adams as well, she at least can act.

Starting new after the Snyder disaster would cleanse the palate.

The article states nothing specific anyways. We have no idea what's going on. But I'm going to believe they are getting Henry back on board cause of everything we've witnessed so far.

Ben Affleck's departure and recasting is a completely different scenario than Cavill's. The Rock and him have such a close relationship with them having the same managers. I highly doubt that they won't at least put him in one of Shazam movies.

For the solo film we have no idea right now. But JJ Abrams definitely has been wanting to do it for years now. It seems like his passion project. The reason I don't think they'd recast for that is that they won't have multiple Supermans when Cavill is most likely going to appear in Shazam or a Black Adam movie both of which are produced by the Rock anyways.

It doesn't seem like the logical approach to do so, when they are most definitely having him appear.

I feel like since the Shazam movie doesn't have a script, the second Shazam movie will deal with Superman being a mentor for Billy. That'd be great cause it would give the character the respect it deserves by actually showing him respect. Also, cause it'd generate more revenue for the film to have him in it.

I've actually moved to the multiple Superman approach myself. In others words, I'd be fine if Cavill returned as Superman in spin off films, while Corenswet plays a rookie Superman in his own trilogy of films.

The way I see it, we already have basically have two Supermen : One on the big screen and one on Tv. We basically already have two Jokers on film , Leto's Joker in SS , The SS and BOP, and Phoenix. And that's not counting Reeves potential Joker

We have two Flash's , Gustin and Miller. If not Miller , its gonna be someone else who could be a reboot.

WB and DC have basically already created a de-facto multiverse spanning Tv and Film. Crisis on Infinite Earths has pretty much confirmed this so at this point, we're already there.

General audiences have shown they're willing to go with these different versions so long as they're good.

For all the fan moaning about Phoenix's Joker being its own thing post the Joker's film announcement, GA didn't care at the end of the day. The product was good and the audience didn't get hung up on " Why isn't it Jared Leto?" , " Where's Ben Affleck?!".

I think WB/ATandT has come to the point in which they are gonna be about making good films and not be hung up so much on every film being connected or potentially even the idea that one actor holds the role at a time.

Back in the day they were stickler's about that stuff. But that was a different time and the landscape was much different than it is in the 2020s.

It may be that they're niche will be that their filmmakers will have more creative freedom and that we will see multiple versions of these characters at once as opposed to the MCU , traditional Superhero film model of one Batman , one Joker, and one Superman, at a time.

Now , whether all this means we will have potentially a rebooted Superman while we also have a Cavill Superman in spin off films , etc. That remains to be seen.

At this point, i've learned to never say never in Hollywood. I think there's gonna be alot of possibilities in superhero tv and film, from DC ,Marvel, and Sony, that fans and geek pundits would say i the past " That's never going to happen!".

I think the landscape for the genre is going to evolve in the coming years , and I think the studios are gonna broaden their outlooks when it comes to how to approach these properties in film, tv, and streaming.

Joaquin as Joker seemed to go down well. I think people (especially the GA) are open to this as long as they feel that the new project is going to deliver on quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"