Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Discussion in 'Misc. Superman Films' started by Kevin Roegele, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Kevin Roegele

Kevin Roegele Do you mind if I don't?

Simple as that. And I think if you asked Sam Raimi or Bryan Singer, they'd agree.

[​IMG]

2. Furious Styles

Furious Styles Well-Known Member

It's amazing how this film still resonates with me today and I'm sure many others. Richard Donner's vision, John Williams' score, the acting of Glen Ford/Gene Hackman/Margot Kidder/Marlon Brando etc. Many people look at Superman as a dull and boring character; but the purity, nobility, likability and heroic qualities of Superman are brought to life by Christopher Reeve.

I can't think of another scene that embodies the essence of superheros and comic books more beautifully than the final scene when Chris Reeve flies across that screen and flashes that smile. I'm embarrased to admit it, but man, that scene still gets me to this day!

3. blind_fury

blind_fury Well-Known Member

My favorite movie of all time! :supes:

4. MST3KPIMP

MST3KPIMP Well-Known Member

Whats so amazing is nobodies topped or eqauled it in all these years. Even the Spider-man movies can't hold a candle to it.

5. Cass-el

Cass-el Guest

Christopher Reeve is a hunk bag...now and forever.Superman always!

6. dude stannis

dude stannis Well-Known Member

Your arguement is infallible (No sarcasm intended). Often imitated never duplicated (Nolan, Raimi, Singer, Johnson I'm looking at the lot of you).

From the class of Marlon Brando's Jor-El, the grace of Lara, the soothing presence of Martha, the goofyness of Ned Beatty's Otis, the diabolical and self parodying nature Gene Hackman ot, of course the charm, herioc presence of Christopher reeve's Superman the performances are perfect. Not a bad one in the whole film.

Also I'm fascinated by Krypton in the film. By all rights the pace is a barren wasteland, but it's so beautiful. I spend alot of spare time pondering what that place was like to live on. It's probably why I love Superman Returns so much, because it goes into a touch more detail and New Krypton island wa just as fascinating as Krypton itself. Even Kal-El's grey flight suit in Returns is cool as I'm interested to see where he got that and his traditional suit from. All that steemed from S:TM.

Then there was the music. My Zod what a heavenly overture. Da da da da da SU-PER-MAN.... The Planet Kryton is easily one of if not the the greatest peice of music ever. It's like sex really.

7. Catman

Catman Well-Known Member

At the end of the day it comes down to taste. Superman is a GREAT movie! Definitly in my top 10 superhero flicks. However, I don't think its the best. I prefer Batman (1989), Batman Returns, the Spider-Man films, and heck...even Darkman over this!

Too each his own, I guess.

8. Kevin Roegele

As much as I respect your taste and opinions....please, please explain why you think Darkman is better than Superman-!

9. Justice Bringer

Justice Bringer Well-Known Member

The film is out of date and has its fair share of flaws. There are many modern superhero films way better than it.

10. Kevin Roegele

Out of date? What does that mean? No CGI?

11. MargotFan

MargotFan Well-Known Member

Superman the movie is the BEST!!!!!!!!!

12. cronosred

cronosred Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure this movie gave us the best actor that has played Superman so far. I have yet to see anyone bring the presence to the role Chris Reeve did.

13. Justice Bringer

Justice Bringer Well-Known Member

The metropolis chunk of the film with the cheesy 70s elements and dialouge; its pretty lame watching it now.

14. SuperFerret

SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

Chistopher Reeve's performance as Superman is still the greatest, but other than that, it's not that good a movie. Superman II is far superior.

15. Catman

Catman Well-Known Member

Why do you like Batman Forever more than the Spider-Man movies? Because the movie is alot more fun to watch? Would that be your answer because thats my answer to you!

16. Kevin Roegele

Batman Forever is fun, but that doesn't make it a good film, just good entertainment (for me, atleast). I think it's better than the first Spidey movie because it has a better script, cinematography, and direction. I think the pacing is superb, and all the character arcs are balanced perfectly until the climax.

Personal taste, I enjoy Fantastic Four, but I'd never call it more than a very average piece of film making.

17. Catman

Catman Well-Known Member

Darkman is more than good entertainment for me. Its great entertainment!

Okay, Darkman doesn't have a better script or direction than Superman but the cinematography is definitly more creative! That was Raimi in Evil Dead mode!

I second that! But, getting back to Darkman I simply think its a really fun movie to watch! Superman is a great film but Darkman is just so much fun to watch. Maybe it isn't better but I definitly enjoy watching it more.

18. silentflute

silentflute Well-Known Member

Hands down,Suprman The Movie is still is the greatest on screen super hero adaptation.

Followed very closely by Batman Begins and then Spider-Man 2.

19. Kevin Roegele

:up: I've never liked Darkman - except for the crazy pink elephant scene - but I like the concept. I love the idea, like a Universal monster movie crossed with the 70's Hulk TV show. But execution is awful. IMO.

20. mego joe

mego joe Well-Known Member

I don't think so. It's definitely the best Superman film hands down. However, I think Batman Begins and the Spider-Man films are all better than S:TM.

S:TM is great up to when the missiles launch, then it starts to falter. THe ending is bad. Also, Luthor could have been done much better, even in Pre-Crisis mode, w/o the businessman angle being around yet.

21. afan

afan Well-Known Member

STM, most definitely is at the top of my list.
    As far as runners up go "The Incredibles" is not far behind. Truth be told it's probably on the whole the best "superhero" film ever, but since Superman is my favorite character I have an enduring prejudice for STM.
    By the way should Tarzan films be included???

22. Thot

Thot Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. As much as I love films like the Spiderman series, a few of the Batman films and other great efforts like Superman II (Donner Cut), I still have yet to see a superhero film that equals or surpasses Superman, The Movie. It was full of joy, adventure, romance, ground breaking special effects and a respect and love for the character that shone through. Reeve, to this day, is the unrivaled champion of superhero casting/portrayal. He looked as if he stepped right out of a comic. He is sorely missed.

23. Kevin Roegele

Tarzan is a pulp hero, which are forerunners to superheroes (like the Shadow and Doc Savage). He's not commonly counted as a superhero, but then some people don't count Batman as a superhero either. My own definition of a superhero is simply a character based on Superman.

24. Shawn_Short

Shawn_Short Well-Known Member

Batman Begins owns this film.

25. Kevin Roegele

Care to eleborate?