Superman: The Movie Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Even in Superman III, Reeve gave a great effort even though he wasn't able to save the film.

For me, just perfect viewing. It has a very special place in my heart, it always will, not just as a massive Superman fan but as a piece of film making, it stands up today as a strong film. It's charm and beauty far out live the SFX and set design upgrades we now have.

I watch it as an adult and it has the same impact as it did on me in the cinema as a 4 year old watching it with my dad.

It encapsulates all that the character stands for and represents, means to so many people.

Too me, Superman: The Movie is up there with films like The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Gone with the Wind, and the first Star Wars film.

The other day I was watching Chris Reeve on the Johnny Carson show promoting STM. They showed a long clip of Superman's interview with Lois.

Sat watching it now, wouldn't be Christmas without Superman the Movie.

I've been watching the first two Superman films lately, and Reeve really gave the character an inspirational and feel-good aura. He was a natural.

"No, sir. Don't thank me, Warden. We're all part of the same team. Good night."

A piece of dialogue like this would probably be a no-go these days. People would say how camp and cheesy it is. But for me, it captures just how unapologetically modest and well-mannered Superman is. Mix in a beaming smile and you have a man humanity can respect and admire.

I actually want to start a new thread for STM.This thread is just people debating whether or not its the best CBM of all time. I'd like to start a thread that just talks about the movie itself.

I actually want to start a new thread for STM.This thread is just people debating whether or not its the best CBM of all time. I'd like to start a thread that just talks about the movie itself.

Do it!

And why debate? All scientists agree: "Superman the movie is the best one".

I love the sequence in the extended edition with Superman walking through Lex's gauntlet of machine guns, flame-throwers and the ice machine, and Reeve being so calm about the whole thing. I also like how it makes Superman more of an ominous threat to Lex. That he's coming to his hideout and that's that. He rips the door off the hinge and then Luthor has to resort to clever talking instead of weaponry which has no use.

I love the sequence in the extended edition with Superman walking through Lex's gauntlet of machine guns, flame-throwers and the ice machine, and Reeve being so calm about the whole thing. I also like how it makes Superman more of an ominous threat to Lex. That he's coming to his hideout and that's that. He rips the door off the hinge and then Luthor has to resort to clever talking instead of weaponry which has no use.

It's a brilliant sequence, I was always surprised they didn't keep it in the original release.

I felt Superman Returns tried to recreate the atmosphere of that moment with the scene where the guy on the rooftop shoots Superman right in the eye ............. and he doesn't even blink.

For me, just perfect viewing. It has a very special place in my heart, it always will, not just as a massive Superman fan but as a piece of film making, it stands up today as a strong film. It's charm and beauty far out live the SFX and set design upgrades we now have.

I watch it as an adult and it has the same impact as it did on me in the cinema as a 4 year old watching it with my dad.

It encapsulates all that the character stands for and represents, means to so many people.

Well put.

I'm a big fan of both Superman the Movie, and Man of Steel. For me - as an adult - I prefer MOS, for my own personal reasons. However, my son is currently 18mths old and when he's old enough to watch and understand a superhero movie, the 1978 one is the version I'll show him so that he gets introduced to the character in a warm, lighthearted and endearing way.

I enjoy this movie more as an adult than I did when I was younger. This is definitely a film that appeals to people of any age.

Jack Gene Joker Lex Old School Something I Did.

Last edited:
This played in my local cinema last night. Had to go, was surprised to see it quite full (given for Covid restrictions).
Great to see so many enjoying this on the big screen.

Found this old ad. I'm disappointed. I was around when this came out (I was 22 years old)....I never saw the ad or the glasses. I would have bought them.
AVvXsEhUbMlmTvKabW8xCLYaDmurGo1EKI1xcDJodJid2mEINihYDjUgDy3-WIWyvoasXerjlddFOIajfU-D_5C-bdrWMHB5AZhbw6SCNYcWKQnMMq-9nlcufeAQHRRwJAkN_FRoGqDb_ZamxfjLg4tp2VLximX8QhGPOLbf99k1bSwRUuH9UA3YMVEutGS9=s400

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"