Superman: The Movie Superman the Movie = STILL the greatest superhero movie

Yeah MOTP is brillent, I dont know how you can find it and Begins boring really if you a serious Batman fan. Im guessing your not lol...?

Yeah MOTP is brillent, I dont know how you can find it and Begins boring really if you a serious Batman fan. Im guessing your not lol...?

The parts I like most about MOTP were the batman joker interaction... like begins i didn't care much for the soapy opera stuff...
Fan? I'm one of the only serious batman fans on here but don't ask batfans that.

That has nothing to do with it.
It all comes down to
-What superhero you like the best
-how well you liked the movie
-and how its put togethor

And thats it. And in the end all of this is subject to opinion. Though if a good majority says that Superman is a better film, then its just that, a good majority which I can accept. But it doesn't change the fact that I don't think thats true.

Well said.

The Internet is such a dogmatic place that people forget that opinions on art are just that -- opinions. Of course, I reserve the right to believe that some opinions are more informed than others, but if someone were willing to argue their case for "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie" being the greatest film of all time, I'd still listen, even though I'd almost certainly disagree. That's how this net thing should work, but so infrequently does.

Well I don't know what else to say except I respect your views though I disagree completely.

edit: no, actually I don't respect them. That's bloody ridiculous. STM set the bar and hasn't been touched yet. spidey's a silly kiddie cartoon full of dancing and crap. Batman Begins has a boring storyline but overrated because it came after batman and robin. STM reigns supreme!

I like comic book movies to be more like the comics as opposed to less like the comics. I think BB and the SPider-Man movies are much more like the comics than any of the SUperman movies. As I said before, the third act of S:TM is well, mostly lame, as is the whole 'Land Scheme Lex.' The turning back time is just ridiculous.

I thouhgt R'as Al Guhl's scheme was much better and much more like his comic book counterpart.

All the SPider-Man films have used story lines from the comics.

The parts I like most about MOTP were the batman joker interaction... like begins i didn't care much for the soapy opera stuff...
Fan? I'm one of the only serious batman fans on here but don't ask batfans that.

Dude, I thought you were above the whole, "I'm a proper fan and you're not" nonsense.

The animated movie....Mask Of THE Phantasm.

The animated movie....Mask Of THE Phantasm.

Thank you. I liked that film a lot the last time I saw it a few years ago (at the time thought it possibly the best Batman film). I should watch it again one day. Though it explains why I didn't know it 'cos I was trying to think live action.

Angeloz

Mant people think of it as the best Batman film....even over the live action ones. It's been a few years since I saw it too....guess I need to dig it out.

Yeah, well said Kev. STM still stands atop the mountain in my estimation. The character interaction in that movie flows so seamlessly. I've never seen a leading man/lady combo share such effortless chemistry onscreen in a superhero flick.

Maybe a good part of my bias resides in the nostalgic memories it conjures up for me, but I'm certain that's only a small part of it. Everything about that movie was just spot on. The musical score. The casting. The pacing of the story. It was just a majestic effort put forth by Donner and Co.

I'm even going to give 'Otis' a free pass.:up:

Absolutely correct, for so many reasons. They kept the costume true to the comics, they did not muck around with the origin or Superman's powers, and the plot was pretty well written. I still consider Superman, the Movie to be the standard for all other comic book films.

Spider-Man I is close, but 1989 Batman, while enjoyable, and a great resurrection of the character in the minds of non fans, has many plot flaws that cannot be denied.

I think Batman 1989 is better, simply because it has stood the test of time. Superman: The Movie is pretty dated and is really obvious when you watch it.

It's still a fantastic film though, and should be remembered as such.

I guess it is a bit dated, but I don't really see that as a big problem. Batman 89 has a bunch of plot holes, though. Date notwithstanding, 89's plot just doesn't hold up.

I guess it is a bit dated, but I don't really see that as a big problem. Batman 89 has a bunch of plot holes, though. Date notwithstanding, 89's plot just doesn't hold up.
It's the characters that make Batman 1989, not the plot.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of Superman: The Movie. I've always found it to just be TOO campy and outdated. Donner presented some great ideas and a true and tried plot, but I think how he reduced the villains to little movie than a joke hurt any drama or greatest the film could've hoped to achieved. I wouldn't even list it in my top ten best, personally.

Qwerty©;11853975 said:
It's the characters that make Batman 1989, not the plot.
It's the characters, acting, art direction, cinematography, subplots, and character analyzation that makes B89.

Superman: The Movie is the Citizen Kane of comic book movies.

"They may make superman films in future generations but I dont think they will ever get it quite as right"
-John Williams

Characters are important, but you have to have a plot to make a good story. I will admit, there were a few memorable lines in 89. Superman had WAY more great dialogue, though. Jor-el's speech alone had a bunch of them.

B89 did have a plot; Joker's creation and his attempt at destroying Gotham. It simply wasn't the main focus of the film. And thusly not everything was explained, and thusly what appear to be plot holes emerge.

I believe STM was surpassed but it definitely served as a template for other superhero films. Had Donner not created such a universe, I doubt we'd even have a successful Spidey franchise.

STM's plot was definitely copied by both Spider-Man and Batman Begins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"