Supernatural - The Final Season

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Sawyer, Jul 14, 2019.

1. javonstokess Registered

I can't convince you to not feel cheated, I can just tell you what I'm assuming the writers were trying to do. I can take back the "Short lives" part, but think about how many hunters died from "random monsters".

FWIW, Ellen didn't die young because she had stopped hunting. Remember, that's why she had the bar and didn't want her daughter hunting. What happens soon after she starts hunting with her daughter again: dead.

Bobby seemed to be less directly hunting and more assisting prior to the Boys extended association. Not only that, he died randomly too. Not eaten by a monster or saving someone's life, but by a stray bullet.

Jody didn't start hunting until, relatively, late in her life.

Rufus died late, but he also got taken out by a "random" monster. Charlie got killed, young, by some random baddies. Even Dean's first real death wasn't sacrificing himself for anyone, it was being killed by Hellhounds. They don't all go out in a blaze of glory and, frankly, Dean doing so what have felt monotonous because we've seen it before. Dean got a random, "quiet", non-supernatural death. He died a human.

Erik20, Flash525 and Prison Mike like this.
  2. Teelie Jokerface

And just to throw this out there in espanol:

In South America, after Cas says “I love you”, Dean says “and I you, Cas”, romantically.

No doubt several Twitter and Reddit Supernatural fans will be having a meltdown it was cut from the US version once word spreads further.

Of course it is possible this is fake, but it looks legit and if you can believe that Reddit link, there are several different sources confirming the scene is legitimate so I guess it will be up to someone on cast or crew to confirm it happened but was cut.

3. Prison Mike Don't drop the soap!

When I first saw that scene, I got the feeling it was more romantic than they led on. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was true.

4. Teelie Jokerface

Prison Mike and Flash525 like this.
  5. terry78 My name is Stefan, sweet thang

The The fanfic community will keep it going I'm sure.

6. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Good.

Fools.

7. MilkmanDan Registered

I haven't actually watched SPN for some time. But I've come across a lot of reactions to the final season, so thought I'd see what people here have to say.

So, I have a question regarding Castiel. Wasn't his confession of love supposed to be a moment of true happiness dooming his faith due to a magical deal he made earlier? I don't think telling your best friend you love him like a brother would qualify. But admitting your feelings to someone you love romantically but have previously been afraid to say it out loud might. Especially if it includes you realizing that you're okay even if the other person doesn't feel the same way.

Like I said, I haven't actually seen it. I'm going by second hand knowledge. But if that moment was meant to be a great emotional thing that apparently sent Cas in to Super Hell, or whatever... Then I don't know if it makes sense for it to be just a "I love you, bro" moment.

8. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

@MilkmanDan Misha Collins has clarified it that it wasn't a romantic gesture, but more a brotherly one, and yes, that was the reason for his demise as he found his true happiness.

It was implied in the final final though that Jack had revived Castiel (again) from the empty and enlisted his aid in rebuilding heaven.

9. MilkmanDan Registered

I thought Misha had only denied the rumour that the foreign dub where Dean said something along the lines of "I love you" back was based on actual script. I haven't heard about him taking a strong stand on what Cas meant by what he said. But anyway, I guess it's possible that Castiel's big dramatic moment of happiness was a verbal equivalent of a fist bump with someone who already knows they're close friends.

10. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Well yeah, that was it, but to me, that was implying that the notion of romantic love was debunked. I guess it's open to interpretation, but people who want to read too much into that scene are going too, regardless of what the actual scene was supposed to mean.

I took it as brotherly love. At no point in the show had I ever got the sense there was anything more than that between them.

11. MadVillainy C'mon Son

I haven't watched the show in years, but i thought it was a great finale and a very fitting way to end it. Thought some of the old person make up was bad, but it was still a good send off. Don't really think there's another way to end it. Someone mentioned it earlier but it did remind me a lot of The Vampire Diaries ending.

I am surprised that they didn't leave it a little more open for a revival since those seem to be all the rage. But I'm kinda glad it didn't

Great send off

12. MilkmanDan Registered

I think the show left that moment open to interpretation on purpose. They are definitely aware that lot of fans "ship" Dean and Cas. And they probably wanted to please those fans without actually making it clear that Cas is gay/bi because that might upset some other fans.

A lot of others did, though. And I don't think it was just wishful thinking on their part. The show wouldn't have been accused of queerbaiting as often as it was if it had been just a case of fans thinking two characters would make a cute couple.

13. javonstokess Registered

FYI, this conversation right here is why some men don't tell their male friends that they love them lol

Prison Mike and Flash525 like this.
  14. LoganGambit87 Registered

finally finished final season i liked the way it ended since all they've been through its nice to see them at peace with the people they love even if its in death

but not a fan of how it happened didn't love how dean went out on some random monster hunt with rusty metal in his back not dying in the blaze of glory that dean deserved and Sam's life after the fact was way too rushed and just unimportant

but i feel it was a mistake not to have some sort of family dinner with sam,dean,jon,mary as a final send off

15. MilkmanDan Registered

They're worried that tv-executives have intentionally chosen to have their friendship be presented in a suggestive light to appeal to a subsection of an audience? How common of a concern can that be?

#240 MilkmanDan, Dec 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  16. Teelie Jokerface

More common than you think.

[canned audience laughter]

MilkmanDan likes this.
  17. Ken-Kaniff MyCommonSenseIsTingling!

I've said a couple of seasons back that this show should just end, but now that it did, I must say that I'm quite sad, because it's been 15 years and even though I haven't watched from 2005 when it began,I've started watching from quite a while now (I started with Season 1, but back in 2010 when the show was already at Season 5 or so). I'd like to point at a few things regarding this last season and the ending of the show:

JACK - he just didn't convince me as the New God, even though I quite like the character and I'm glad what the writers did with him being "adopted" by the boys, I just felt that this was such a big role and big shoes to fill in by a character who was born "yesterday" and didn't have much experience of life on Earth, let alone the Universe!

GOD AS THE VILLAIN - I've never quite felt him as an evil character, so this thing they did with turning him into a baddie, seemed a bit forced and not just because of what I mentioned, but also because it was the last season and they ran out of big baddies. I felt that it was just for the sake of ending the show with a big player (but they might have used Death or The Empty for this role);

THE OCCULTUM - So was this the real Heaven? Apparently not, as it was explain in the last episode that Jack & Cas sort of broke the walls of the original Heaven and freed all of the souls. But then what was the purpose of this? Just so Jack could regain his soul? We never really got a proper explanation.

AMARA/THE DARKNESS - she was just awful, for a powerful cosmic being, she just seemed this rich diva, going for massages in Dubai and such places, who doesn't really know where her "heart" truly is, considering a couple of seasons ago, she tried to destroy everything. THE EMPTY was kind of disappointing too, but I guess the fact that it got played by the disappointing Meg 2.0 took away a lot from such a powerful character. In fact, the main problem with all of these powerful cosmic beings in the last seasons is the fact that they lack intelligence, they are naive, they all seem weak and they don't know what they really want. I think the writers really toned them down after season 5, in every aspect, whether we talk about power or intelligence. Take Billie for example, I really enjoyed her as Death, but compare her to the Death Character of Julian Richings and you'll see what I mean!

DEAN/CAS ROMANTIC RELANTIONSHIP - personally I find this cringeworthy and I don't really get why some really love to force this down our throats. I always viewed it as a strong friendship and always thought of Cas as the third brother, so they really shouldn't have gone down that road and I'm kinda glad they didn;t, because they way they handled it, Cas almost seemed that he was about to kiss Dean lol! I get it, I get that the fanbase has a lot of lonely fangirls who love to dream up homoerotic stories between these characters (after all, it was a show with good looking men, let's admit!), but please don't ruin this for the rest of us who view it for what is is. I mean I'd be really pissed if they went down that route just to please that strange amount of fans.

THE ENDING - This one I quite enjoyed! I have to say that coming up with a proper ending for this show would have been hard and you can't please everyone anyway, so what they did was good enough and pretty much one of the best things they could do. I also don't have a problem with Dean dying (for good this time), because it makes sense as this could have happen on any hunt, but the brothers kept bringing each other back before. What I didn't like is the fact that Dean didn't met John & Mary in Heaven, that we didn't see a final scene with Cas in Heaven since Bobby mentioned that he helped, meaning Jack saved Cas from The Empty, but then again, I can't complain too much, since this may have been due to the Coronavirus and not the writting.

Overall I would give this last season a stretched 8 out 10, it was a good ending to a very good show with a good last season, but certain things could have been handled better. I will miss the show though and these characters!

18. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

Its not Supernatural but Jared just bested all of TheCW with his reboot of Walker. Opened to a 2.4/0,4 in ratings

MilkmanDan and Prison Mike like this.
  19. MilkmanDan Registered

I sort of assume Walker is terrible but I also really wanna watch it. And to be honest, that's consistent with the classic appeal of Walker Texas Ranger.

20. batdude Registered

I saw it, to be perfectly honest Lindsay Morgan upstages Jared. It's not horrible though. I wonder how long it will take Jensen and/or Chuck Norris to show up.

21. Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

I would propose the notion that once Jack became God, he didn't need a soul.

The soul, as I understand it in the Supernatural world is a by product of human development. I never got the impression that Chuck had a soul. He created them. It's possible he now has one (being reduced to one of his creations) but I doubt he had one. In the same theme, if Jack had one, it simply became irrelevant and/or obsolete once he transcended.

As for Heaven, unless I am mistaken, previously each person/soul in Heaven had their own personal heaven, reliving their best memories and such. Jack and Cas broke down those walls so that everyone in Heaven can interact with each other and make new memories - for eternity.

22. Sawyer High King

RIP. Between him and Kim Manners that’s two frequent SPN directors who’ve passed.