World Surtur vs Gorr - Battle of The Titans

BigThor

God of Thunder
Reaction score
This a thread dedicated to two of Thor's most dangerous villains engaging in head to head combat.

In the red corner you have the Undisputed Ruler of Muspelheim himself...

Surtur!

Info for those who don't already know his powerset - http://marvel.wikia.com/Surtur_(Earth-616)

Surtur_%28Earth-616%29.jpg

And in the blue corner you have the slayer of entire pantheons of gods...

Gorr!

Info for those who don't already know his power set - http://marvel.wikia.com/Gorr_(God_Butcher)_(Earth-616)

2953575-gorr-the-god-butcher.jpg

Have At Thee!

Last edited:
A really tough battle between two awesome villains.

I guess I should lean towards Gorr as Surtur basically is Odin's nemesis, while Gorr kills an elder god on his own and brings down countless pantheons, almost killing every god that ever existed. He's just a larger scale threat than Surtur, who is more closely tied to Asgard and Ragnarok. I'm assuming this is Gorr at the height of his power, as his power grows a lot during his arc.

There might be some caveat around that All-Black the Necrosword was directly created to slay gods, so I don't know if it would behave any differently against other kinds of beings.

It's certainly an intersting match up!
I really wonder how a battle between the two destructive forces would end?

Mjölnir;27106307 said:
A really tough battle between two awesome villains.

I guess I should lean towards Gorr as Surtur basically is Odin's nemesis, while Gorr kills an elder god on his own and brings down countless pantheons, almost killing every god that ever existed. He's just a larger scale threat than Surtur, who is more closely tied to Asgard and Ragnarok. I'm assuming this is Gorr at the height of his power, as his power grows a lot during his arc.

There might be some caveat around that All-Black the Necrosword was directly created to slay gods, so I don't know if it would behave any differently against other kinds of beings.

I do agree that Gorr might be a bigger threat than Surtur, but I think it's more to do with the fact that he's more homicidal than Surtur. Surtur doesn't go around intentionally trying to wipe out a race of beings, but he's no slouched in that department either remember what he did to Beta Ray's planet.

The Necro Sword vs the Twilight Sword would be a sight to see I don't know which one is more powerful.

I do agree that Gorr might be a bigger threat than Surtur, but I think it's more to do with the fact that he's more homicidal than Surtur. Surtur doesn't go around intentionally trying to wipe out a race of beings, but he's no slouched in that department either remember what he did to Beta Ray's planet.

The Necro Sword vs the Twilight Sword would be a sight to see I don't know which one is more powerful.

Yes, I could see it go either way as there are unknown factors and both are extremely powerful.

Mjölnir;27110017 said:
Yes, I could see it go either way as there are unknown factors and both are extremely powerful.

Gore vs Desak would probably be an even better battle, but for some reason not that many ppl care for Desak.

I think Surtur takes him.

Surtur for sure. After all, he can contend with Odin.

Gorr is good, but he is matched by the three Thors. Admittedly Old Thor wields the waning Odin-force (he calls it the Thor-Force now) but it is made pretty clear that it isn't as powerful as it once was.

Gorr is good, but he is matched by the three Thors. Admittedly Old Thor wields the waning Odin-force (he calls it the Thor-Force now) but it is made pretty clear that it isn't as powerful as it once was.

Good point, Old Thor is probably about half as powerful as Odin
and two Thor's still don't make up the difference.

It'll still be a good fight though, what about Gorr vs Desak?

The three Thors couldn't beat him in battle, his defeat comes from modern day Thor's effort when the God Bomb detonates.

As for the Thor-Force, the old king though it was gone but it comes back to him and I don't think anyone states anything about lessened power. He's wielded it far longer than Odin did so he's certainly good at using it. After the battle he both brings modern day Thor back to life, and he throws a planet into a black hole, all without making a big deal out of it. The Thors also have two Mjolnirs.

Surtur is very powerful and can contend with Odin, but Gorr slays an Elder God (plus all the pantheons he's completely wiped out alone).

Hence why I said "matched" as they were giving him one hell of a fight. In fact, the Thors were winning until Gorr had all those gods sacrificed to amp his power.

As for the Thor-Force being weaker, Old Thor certainly implies it is finite and less than it once was. Saying, "I daresay I even feel the rumblings of Thor-Force within me once again, which I have long since thought forever spent."

Yes, Gorr's weapon gets stronger by the blood of gods. That's one of his traits so why does it matter how he does it? Gorr still killed an elder god, which stands above a Sky-father.

It doesn't say that it's less powerful, just that he had lost contact with it (or it had replenished from a spent state). Odin took help from Surfer to bring Beta Ray Bill to life once, King Thor revived Thor on his own without making much of it. All this shows that comics aren't consistent so it's always problematic to compare. Thor becomes a more powerful god than Odin as Thor has elder god blood in him, so even while the King Thor in this story is broken he was likely more powerful once but Gorr was the one who broke him, purposefully prolonging his agony.

This is furthered in that Aaron even pushed Thor to, for a moment, be the god of the gods but said he still won't have Thor use the God-Blast and such abilities because he thinks that the stories are better when he writes Thor with limits.

I'm saying Gorr isn't going to be able to amp himself up against Surtur.

Read what he says. He implies that the Thor-Force is a finite power as evident when he suggests it can be spent. This, plus the fact that even he is unsure if it is back, implies it it has been diminished due to his use of it.

As for killing an Elder God, it's impressive sure. But the one Gorr killed was an infant that didn't bother defending itself. That's a far cry from killing someone like Set or Atum.

Don't get me wrong, Gorr is incredible powerful. But I'm going with the guy who destroyed a galaxy when forging his sword.

Nothing says what preparation they have. If you make that up you could just as well say that Surtur is fighting Gorr before he becomes one with the weapon, having him far weaker.

The Thor-Force and the Odin-Force is the same thing, it's just called after who has it. Whether it's diminished is hard to say but his feats at the end, which we are only told of, sure implies that it's there in it's old glory.

And as I said, Thor is certainly a greater god than Odin was (at respective times in their lives) and Gorr doesn't beat King Thor when he's broken, he's the one that originally defeats him and kills the entire Asgardian pantheon. That suggests that Gorr beat a god that was greater than Odin.

I'm certainly open to Surtur's chances, I'm just discussing the material because it's fun.

Mjölnir;27131247 said:
The three Thors couldn't beat him in battle, his defeat comes from modern day Thor's effort when the God Bomb detonates.

As for the Thor-Force, the old king though it was gone but it comes back to him and I don't think anyone states anything about lessened power. He's wielded it far longer than Odin did so he's certainly good at using it. After the battle he both brings modern day Thor back to life, and he throws a planet into a blahorck hole, all without making a big deal out of it. The Thors also have two Mjolnirs.

Surtur is very powerful and can contend with Odin, but Gorr slays an Elder God (plus all the pantheons he's completely wiped out alone).

King Thor threw a planet into a black hole, do you have scans because I would really like to see that. :wow:

King Thor threw a planet into a black hole, do you have scans because I would really like to see that. :wow:

It isn't shown unfortunately, it's just told in hindsight. King Thor does that because no one dares even touch the weapon Gorr used (well, Viking age Thor does but he's dumb ;) ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"