Suspiria (2018) Dakota Johnson & Tilda Swinton

Out of how many reviews?

Last edited:
"Falls flat", "Fails to bewitch"....these are not disconcerting from two out of three reactions posted so far?

Good possibility it will fall flat or will fail to bewitch... Happens even with praised to the sky films.

Even from how the more negative reviews describe it this movie sounds incredible and intensely my jam.

The more divisive, the more excited i get. I only care about my opinion in the end, but good horror should shake people up not have them exit a theater raving about the good time they had. That's all fun don't get me wrong, i enjoy the Conjuring movies with a big crowd too. But from the trailers and reactions alone, this is MY bag. By far the most anticipated horror movie in my lifetime anyway. I want weird, i want eerie, i want patient, i want everything that goes against modern horror. Even my favorites like Kubrick's Shining still went down a predictable route, and gave us some of the biggest moments of over-acting i've ever seen. Luca's film at least looks character driven and the acting is being praised in these reviews. That's a good sign. Most horror isn't classy enough it seems, and falls under the "well, it's a trashy genre to begin with, so don't expect much intelligence from the themes or characters' choices...oh and expect bad acting cuz that's just the genre!"..

I watched the original finally, and besides the set design and cinematography, it's really a terrible film. So i also want this to throw away the majority of what made Argento's so appealing to so many people.

BRING ON SUSPIRIA. Hopefully the sissies keep walking out haha.

Do you understand what 'divisive' is?

Yes, I do. What's your point? Is divisive your definition of glowing response? Also you didn't answer my question above. You said "3 100s on metacritic is pretty glowing". Out of how many reviews is that so far?

Gullermo Del Toro, Aronofsky and Tarantino loved this. That is enough for me.

I wish I was that easily swayed.

Last edited:
Yeah, this being divisive is neither surprising nor off-putting to me. It was always gonna be weird and not everybody's cup-o-tea, and that just makes me more interested. It's encouraging to see that those who liked it REALLY liked it. I'm avoiding spoilers on this one so I haven't read any reviews, but have any mentioned Thom Yorke's score yet? Very curious how that turned out, as I thought it was super effective in the trailer.

David Ehrlich has high praise for the score in his review and on Twitter but it should be noted that he is also a huge, huge, fan of Radiohead.

Yorke himself put out a tiny snippet of a piano track.

Yes, I do. What's your point? Is divisive your definition of glowing response? Also you didn't answer my question above. You said "3 100s on metacritic is pretty glowing". Out of how many reviews is that so far?

It has a 76 on metacritic after 13 reviews.
10 positive, 2 mixed. 1 negative.
For such an apparently divisive film, it's actually getting pretty good reviews so far. Most of even the negative reviews haveany things to praise even if they aren't on board with it overall. The positive reviews have been extremely positive.

By no stretch has the initial reaction been overall negative.

And on another note, the most negative review I've seen, from Owen Gliberman refers to the original film as "trash". Place however much stock you want in his reaction you want I guess.

Personally, I have a few critics I follow who even though their tastes differ from mine, I have a pretty good idea of how their reactions tend to compare to my own. Indiwores David Ehrlich is one of them and his review has me hyped.

Nah, it has to do with their taste in film is similar to mine, so i'm going in hyped. I can easily read the script for this right now, but will hold out. I recently rewatched the original and it still plays very well.

David Ehrlich has high praise for the score in his review and on Twitter but it should be noted that he is also a huge, huge, fan of Radiohead.

Yorke himself put out a tiny snippet of a piano track.

:up: Thanks, I like that snippet.

It has a 76 on metacritic after 13 reviews.
10 positive, 2 mixed. 1 negative.
For such an apparently divisive film, it's actually getting pretty good reviews so far. Most of even the negative reviews haveany things to praise even if they aren't on board with it overall. The positive reviews have been extremely positive.

By no stretch has the initial reaction been overall negative.

Now see that's good. Especially for a horror movie.

Nah, it has to do with their taste in film is similar to mine, so i'm going in hyped. I can easily read the script for this right now, but will hold out. I recently rewatched the original and it still plays very well.

Fair enough.

And yes the original still holds up. Has a good creepy factor to it. The music and visuals are terrific.

Having seen the original finally, I can say that the acting and dubbing is downright awful. None of the characters are interesting or layered. Nothing is really developed well. The script is really weak. Goblin’s score works on its own but I found it too distracting and obnoxious within the context of the film. Such a great premise that was poorly executed for the most part. Obviously the colours and lighting is exquisite but that’s as far as I’ll go with complimenting that movie. I literally gave it a 1.5 out of 5 stars.

All the new reviews I’ve read seem to fix the issues I had with Dario’s work, while taking it to new & fresh places.

Having seen the original finally, I can say that the acting and dubbing is downright awful. None of the characters are interesting or layered. Nothing is really developed well. The script is really weak. Goblin’s score works on its own but I found it too distracting and obnoxious within the context of the film. Such a great premise that was poorly executed for the most part. Obviously the colours and lighting is exquisite but that’s as far as I’ll go with complimenting that movie. I literally gave it a 1.5 out of 5 stars.

All the new reviews I’ve read seem to fix the issues I had with Dario’s work, while taking it to new & fresh places.

I want to say you're kind of missing the point of the original (it's a poetic horror mood-piece, and a ground-breaking one at that in its aesthetic approach) but that sounds condescending and, like, to each his/her own.

So I will just say that if I like this new Suspiria half as much as I like the original (albeit for different reasons), I will be pretty happy with it.

It's below 60% on RT at the moment.

This is a pretty good breakdown of the reaction so far and, yeah, it's pretty conflicted. I can't say this alleviates some of the concerns I had for the film but it sounds like an interesting watch, if nothing else:

‘Suspiria’: What the Critics Are Saying

We can post tweets on here now? :wow:

David Ehrlich's review has me pumped.

I am surprised there is such polarized reactions on this. It will be interesting to see the movie. Will it end up being ridiculed like Mother!? Is the original italian filmic production worth checking out?

This thing pulling in extreme reactions from both ends of the spectrum is about the least surprising thing ever.

Is the original italian filmic production worth checking out?

CB45.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"