The Rise of Skywalker SW: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER - The Rotten Tomatoes thread

Not out to get SW directly. Im talking about the organisation behind it . Disney don't really know what there doing with this franchise. Lets be honest.
Wait by critics do you mean the actual movie critics or people who just didn't like or weren't that big on the movie.

Either way the point is dumb. People who don't like the movie just don't like the movie. It has nothing to do with hating Disney

Last edited:
Wait by critics do you mean the actual movie critics or people who just didn't like or weren't that big on the movie.

Either way the point is dumb, some people just don't like the movie. It has nothing to do with hating Disney

Agreed. The last thing I wanted to do after watching the movie was come here and tell people that I found it mediocre at best and bad at worst. I wanted to come in here and proclaim my love of the movie and rejoice in the mutual love I have of Star Wars with everyone here. Sadly, I then watched the movie and I just did not feel the way I wanted to. That's on the movie, not some agenda. Believe me if people see my track record of loving MCU movies, the last thing people should accuse me of his being someone with an ax to grind against Disney.

Either way the point is dumb, some people just don't like the movie. It has nothing to do with hating Disney

Rotten Tomatoes is the only site where you can have political influence in your reviews. Funny how these same critics were spreading constant negative rumours about the post production/leaks of ROS months ago then surprise surprise they give it a rotten rating when released. there minds were made up already they just went through the motions. They want change and thats the way to do it give it a rotten rating and inflict some disturbance on how disney are going about things. They gave TFA and TLJ a pass because of honeymoon period syndrome . The payoff with ROS didn't work so now they want there voices heard.

Don't be so naive. It has everything to do with Disney Star Wars. This trilogy has failed ,someone needs to take accountability. So who's it going to be JJ? Rian Johnson or Kathleen Kennedy. Kathleen has had input in all 3 films. The buck should start with her.

Sorry dude, this conspiracy doesn't track. Most of the bad reviews for this movie and even many of the positive ones have the same pros and cons basically. Having seen the movie myself I agree with them. There is no conspiracy. This is just making excuses for people disagreeing with you, and that does not a conspiracy make

There is no conspiracy, no agenda or any of that BS. Fact is that 45ish% of critics didn't like the movie, and that's okay.

It also makes sense since most people agree that this is a repudiation of the TLJ, and that a lot of the fans of TLJ will hate it for that reason. Critics LOVED The Last Jedi, so it should be no surprise that some of them dislike a movie that takes a dump on it.

There is no conspiracy, no agenda or any of that BS. Fact is that 45ish% of critics didn't like the movie, and that's okay.

It also makes sense since most people agree that this is a repudiation of the TLJ, and that a lot of the fans of TLJ will hate it for that reason. Critics LOVED The Last Jedi, so it should be no surprise that some of them dislike a movie that takes a dump on it.
Or maybe they just don't think the TROS is a well made movie. Maybe they don't like the pacing, maybe they don't like the story.

I don't get why disliking something always has to have a conspiracy or agenda behind it. Most people just don't like something because it's not well made, not entertaining, etc.

Last edited:

I really think it's overstated how much this movie craps supposedly on the last one. I get why it's read that way, but honestly several things do you properly track based on where that movie ended. There's only really one absolutely major contradiction, but even that they try to explain in a way that makes some logical sense with how it with how it was portrayed previously. I think people who hated what Johnson did will probably gravitate toward and read it as a big middle finger, and vice-versa for those who enjoyed it. But for me, wasn't a big deal honestly and I didn't feel malicious intent. Course correction? Sure.

I don't see taking the story the direction you want to take it really as a betrayal or middle finger to anybody. I don't think Johnson was giving the middle finger to Abrams with his movie either. He just had his own ideas and how he wanted to approach the story, and honestly I read the same thing with this movie. I don't think either of them was trying to offend the other.

Last edited:
Rotten Tomatoes is the only site where you can have political influence in your reviews. Funny how these same critics were spreading constant negative rumours about the post production/leaks of ROS months ago then surprise surprise they give it a rotten rating when released. there minds were made up already they just went through the motions. They want change and thats the way to do it give it a rotten rating and inflict some disturbance on how disney are going about things. They gave TFA and TLJ a pass because of honeymoon period syndrome . The payoff with ROS didn't work so now they want there voices heard.

Don't be so naive. It has everything to do with Disney Star Wars. This trilogy has failed ,someone needs to take accountability. So who's it going to be JJ? Rian Johnson or Kathleen Kennedy. Kathleen has had input in all 3 films. The buck should start with her.
"Naive" Sure I am being naive.
But you are not operating on any plane of reality, logic or reason.

Really now, we're at the "there's a conspiracy against Disney?" This is where we've gotten to?

Let's use logic, which you aren't using currently. IF critics, or at least enough critics that it warrants discussing, want Disney to fail, why have all the MCU movies gotten largely positive reviews? Why have a majority of Pixar movies gotten mostly positive reviews? Actually, look no further than November, if critics want Disney to fail why did Frozen II get mostly positive reviews?
Again looking at it logically, there's no evidence of that and your point is delusional.

Let's even say: "Just Disney Star Wars." Sure. Let's do that.
-The Force Awakes= 93%
-Rogue One= 83%
-The Last Jedi= 91%
-Solo= 70%
-The Rise of Skywalker= 57%

So let's see...out of the 5 things Disney has released for Star Wars since acquiring it, 4 of them got a majority positive reviews. Maybe not all glowing, but the majority of the review percentages on RT were positive. Even if we say there are critics who are against Disney, if we look at Solo's reception, up until now only around 30% of them are there (by RT's barometer).
And so are all the other 4 Disney SW movies, just the "honeymoon phase?" It took until now in 2019 for them to say: Enough is enough. Because even that can't be true because critics love the other major Star Wars release this year with The Mandolorian. And don't come here with the "Well that's TV" excuse. If someone has a vendetta against Star Wars, they're not gonna take a break because it's TV. Also don't come with that "Critics disliked TROS because they loved TLJ too much" TFA was more liked, going off the average critics score, than TLJ and it didn't stop them from loved TLJ which subverted a lot that was built and hinted at with TFA.

So looking at logic and reason, it's very easy to see that:
1) There's no conspiracy against Disney
2) There's no conspiracy against Disney Star Wars
3) There's no conspiracy against recent Disney Star Wars.

You're just not being rational. You don't have any evidence to back up your claim. In fact there's tons of evidence to disprove your claim.
So there's no real reason for you to think this unless you just can't fathom that anyone dislikes this movie or if you, again, just don't think on any plane of reality.

That's all

Last edited:
Not out to get SW directly. Im talking about the organisation behind it . Disney don't really know what there doing with this franchise. Lets be honest.

That's been pretty clear over these last three films. Hence, the rating.

EMSfNNTUEAAavvQ

This is the lowest Cinemascore for a live-action Star Wars film(even Last Jedi had an “A”). I’m actually kind of surprised considering the most I hear of people who see it in the theater with a crowd, is that audiences were really were into it. This seemed like a bonafide crowd pleaser but it has the same Cinemascore as “Joker” but Joker is rated fresh on Rotten Tomatoes while this isn’t, lol!

EMSfNNTUEAAavvQ

This is the lowest Cinemascore for a live-action Star Wars film(even Last Jedi had an “A”). I’m actually kind of surprised considering that most I hear of people who see it in the theater with a crowd, is that audiences really were into it.
Are you talking about people you know in real life or people on here.
When it comes to people on here, they always try and move the audience reaction needle to back up their point.

What the hell has the MCU got to do with this. Why do fanboys keep bringing up that crap . You think the same people behind those films are behind SW . The SW trilogy is nowhere near the level of films mentioned. Disney have there fingers in so many pies they can get away with anything they want. That's how much power they have . Disney knew about the problems this film was having they need someone to throw underneath the bus when it failed . So now they get the ball moving and have review moles in the RT infrastructure to give this film a rotten badge. They don't care about the audience rating because this film will make bank still(people will watch again due to the film being decisive, that means more bank) Now Disney have a reason to fire someone because deep down they know they have to get rid of a few links in the chain to make the bicycle run again for the new chapter after this one. Its ****ing genius in my opinion. JJ, RJ and KK , writers,producers will be in a meeting speaking about what potentially went wrong with the WHOLE franchise. I expect someone to get fired so they start from fresh.

Fan A " Ohh i hated this film "
Fan B " this film didn't do it for me "

Now how many of you had that mindset before the film started. You watched your favourite reviewers bash the film to death and looked at the RT score. They implanted the seed right there and then . You allowed yourself to be consumed by negative thoughts when that scroll intro hopped on screen. You've allowed your fandom to conflict your emotions. It was game over as soon as went to screen 5 row J seat 15..

Now to the 86% audience that liked this film. Those type of people went in with no expectation, no RT watching , no critics deciding the film for you. Just a nice , blank slate . Surprise Surprise you enjoyed the film( like me)

Most of these critics never had that mindset (the ones that weren't payed off) They knew they were going to write a negative review as soon as they got back home. There the ones constantly gassing about mary sue rey,political agendas etc they knew this film was the end of the road so wanted to signal to Disney with a rotten rating" Either fix up the creative differences for the next set of films or we bury this franchise into the ground " Thats means get rid of the vegetables spoiling the soup or we won't support Disney Star Wars films in the future.

Now the finger pointing will start and heads will roll. If you want Star Wars to hit new heights. Kathleen Kennedy and her peers HAVE to leave. They have drove this franchise in a direction no one wanted. If Disney keep the same setup, expect the same results . Simple as that people.

I really think it's overstated how much this movie craps supposedly on the last one. I get why it's read that way, but honestly several things do you properly track based on where that movie ended. There's only really one absolutely major contradiction, but even that they try to explain in a way that makes some logical sense with how it with how it was portrayed previously. I think people who hated what Johnson did will probably gravitate toward and read it as a big middle finger, and vice-versa for those who enjoyed it. But for me, wasn't a big deal honestly and I didn't feel malicious intent. Course correction? Sure.

I don't see taking the story the direction you want to take it really as a betrayal or middle finger to anybody. I don't think Johnson was giving the middle finger to Abrams with his movie either. He just had his own ideas and how he wanted to approach the story, and honestly I read the same thing with this movie. I don't think either of them was trying to offend the other.

Agreed. I feel like the two movies, TLJ and this one fit together perfectly fine. They even build off each other in their emotional mystery box storytelling. I get that fans don't LIKE certain things in TLJ, but people act like ROS suddenly course corrected in a way that doesn't make any sense, and that's just not accurate.

What the hell has the MCU got to do with this. Why do fanboys keep bringing up that crap . You think the same people behind those films are behind SW . The SW trilogy is nowhere near the level of films mentioned. Disney have there fingers in so many pies they can get away with anything they want. That's how much power they have . Disney knew about the problems this film was having they need someone to throw underneath the bus when it failed . So now they get the ball moving and have review moles in the RT infrastructure to give this film a rotten badge. They don't care about the audience rating because this film will make bank still(people will watch again due to the film being decisive, that means more bank) Now Disney have a reason to fire someone because deep down they know they have to get rid of a few links in the chain to make the bicycle run again for the new chapter after this one. Its ****ing genius in my opinion. JJ, RJ and KK , writers,producers will be in a meeting speaking about what potentially went wrong with the WHOLE franchise. I expect someone to get fired so they start from fresh.

Now how many of you had that mindset before the film started. You watched your favourite reviewers bash the film to death and looked at the RT score. They implanted the seed right there and then . You allowed yourself to be consumed by negative thoughts when that scroll intro hopped on screen. You've allowed your fandom to conflict your emotions. It was game over as soon as went to screen 5 row J seat 15..

Now to the 86% audience that liked this film. Those type of people went in with no expectation, no RT watching , no critics deciding the film for you. Just a nice , blank slate . Surprise Surprise you enjoyed the film( like me)

Most of these critics never had that mindset (the ones that weren't payed off) They knew they were going to write a negative review as soon as they got back home. There the ones constantly gassing about mary sue rey,political agendas etc they knew this film was the end of the road so wanted to signal to Disney with a rotten rating" Either fix up the creative differences for the next set of films or we bury this franchise into the ground " Thats means get rid of the vegetables spoiling the soup or we won't support Disney Star Wars films in the future.

Now the finger pointing will start and heads will roll. If you want Star Wars to hit new heights. Kathleen Kennedy and her peers HAVE to leave. They have drove this franchise in a direction no one wanted. If Disney keep the same setup, expect the same results . Simple as that people.
People bring up the MCU because it's a clear example of critics not hating Disney.

Anyway I say we just ignore this guy. He's not using facts or even rational thinking. Or he's just trolling. Reads like this dude is on the zoinkys.

People bring up the MCU because it's a clear example of critics not hating Disney.

Anyway I say we just ignore this guy. He's not using facts or even rational thinking. Or he's just trolling. Reads like this dude is on the zoinkys.
The only facts you need are the countless videos trashing this film with Kathleen Kennedy's face on the thumbnail. You choose to put your hand in a hornets nest . Prepared to be stung.

This is a completely idiotic conspiracy theory. Just on the basic principle that you are proposing that they want somebody out so on one of their most high-profile franchises, they're going to purposely give it bad press and thus potentially tank its profitability just so they can get someone fired? That would be the stupidest business decision Disney could make. Especially given that they just opened a new theme park ride to complete they're very expensive addition to their theme parks, of which people were giving bad reviews. Your conspiracy makes no sense. Sorry. No company on purpose is going to try and harm the reputation of one of the most valuable assets just out of spite for somebody else. They would just fire said individual.

The company by firing said individual even if they sue would save way more money then they would buy trying to game the system so they have a reason that won't result in any kind of lawsuit, but earns them less money on the merch, the ticket sales, Etc. Devaluing the brand cost the company for more money. This isn't sports where tanking is a legitimate strategy in order to get your team better in the long run.

Last edited:
This is a completely idiotic conspiracy theory. Just on the basic principle that you are proposing that they want somebody out so on one of their most high-profile franchises, they're going to purposely give it bad press and thus potentially tank its profitability just so they can get someone fired? That would be the stupidest business decision Disney could make. Especially given that they just opened a new theme park ride to complete they're very expensive addition to their theme parks, of which people were giving bad reviews. Your conspiracy makes no sense. Sorry. No company on purpose is going to try and harm the reputation of one of the most valuable assets just out of spite for somebody else. They would just fire said individual.

The company by firing set individual even if they sue would save way more money then they would buy trying to game the system so they have a reason that won't result in any kind of lawsuit, but earns them less money on the merch, the ticket sales, Etc. Devaluing the brand cost the company for more money. This isn't sports where tanking is a legitimate strategy in order to get your team better in the long run.
Bruv...let it go. Read his posts he's either a troll or just completely out of it

I’m actually kind of surprised considering the most I hear of people who see it in the theater with a crowd, is that audiences were really were into it.

At the showing I went to, people were actually laughing at the movie when the credits started rolling. Not with the movie, but at it. You could hear people making fun of it on the way out. There was one particular moment near the end that made nearly half the theater audibly groan. I even saw a couple of people throwing their hands in the air when it happened. You could also hear individual people scoffing at several other big moments and reveals. When it wasn't a scoff, it was nothing but dead silence, no reaction at all. I'm not exaggerating. I hated the film, but I was actually very surprised by the overall audience reaction at my screening.

It wasn't all negative and cold though, as there were a few positive reactions from a couple of individuals at certain specific moments:
Poe's flashlight bit and the trio going back and forth over their questionable backgrounds got quite a few laughs. Babu Frik was a hit. The guy sitting next to me started sniffling and wiping tears when Han showed up, and there was one particularly loud weirdo who seemed to really love that big moment during the final space battle when Lando returns with all the ships that answered the call. But that was it as far as positive reactions go.

I think audience reaction largely depends on the theater too. I saw Endgame at the Chinese theater in Los Angeles on opening night and people lost their minds at every little thing, but I saw all the others on opening night as well at various smaller theaters and nothing was anywhere near that reaction.

For this one, there were audible groans during the "I am...all the jedi" line and Ben's death, and only a couple of people clapped at the end, whereas the entire theater erupted with applause when the opening crawl came on. It's going to be all over the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw Avengers Endgame and TROS at the same theater the same night of the week at nearly the same time, so probably a similar crowd. Crowd was super reactive for Endgame and it was pretty much flatline for TROS.

Anybody else think it's kind of weird that the audience score hasn't changed at all since last week?

It's been at 86% since Friday morning. Which is good but I would have expected it to change one way or the other at least a bit.

The audience score is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of people that actually saw the film. It's not a valid metric IMO. Just like political polls.

I think audience reaction largely depends on the theater too. I saw Endgame at the Chinese theater in Los Angeles on opening night and people lost their minds at every little thing, but I saw all the others on opening night as well at various smaller theaters and nothing was anywhere near that reaction.

For this one, there were audible groans during the "I am...all the jedi" line and Ben's death, and only a couple of people clapped at the end, whereas the entire theater erupted with applause when the opening crawl came on. It's going to be all over the place.

Thanks for the spoiler dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the spoiler dude.
Thanks for quoting it so thus posting the spoiler AGAIN dude.

FYI....I put the original AND your quote of it in spoiler tags.

At least when a long post is quoted, you have to click on it to see the whole thing. I doubt anyone was spoiled by my post but I sure as hell was spoiled by the original one so that's great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"