Tales from the comic book store...*cue scary music*

Darthphere

Kneel before 'Drox!
Reaction score
Am I the only person on here that is afraid to walk into their comic book store? Ever smell something odd but just pretend its the old comic book paper? Do you think the creepy guy standing in the corner who looks like hes 45 and hes really hairy reading Marvel Adventures is a serial killer? Share your stories.

P.S. If this has been done, sue me.

I get you on the smell sometimes--I stopped going there on Saturdays when they have the teens do the Yu Gi Oh games--nothing like the smell of BO and hard paper to make you wonder if there is a God. :o

My shop is pretty clean, and they don't sell Yu Gi Oh.

But in the back issue room, they have a trash can that hasn't been emptied in years. It even speaks sometimes. And they have a huge cooler shaped like a coke bottle, and like little baby aliens or something is growing in there I swear....:(

I hear horror stories quite frequently about comic stores around the country from the 'net, which leads me to believe I'm extremely lucky, as my LCS is fantastic. There's a huge selection of pretty much everything, there's a great sense of community from the employees and other regulars. the store is designed in such a way so as not to be geek exclusive. Mothers and their kids, as well as women, are all common. My only complaint is there's this one big, sweaty,creepy guy with some sort of mental deficiency who comes in every week (usually checks out the adult section), but hey, what're you gonna do about that? He has the right to shop there.

I've been to every store in my region, as well as most in Manhatten, and several elsewhere around the country, and I've never walked into a place and said "wow, I wish this was my shop, it's so much better."

I actually was at a new store today making a pull list( forgot a couple of titles) anyway, its a lot cleaner, and friendly than my old LCS, and closer to home as well. No more cigar smoke and apparently no sweaty guys, as of yet. I mustve written over 30 titles on my pull list and the guy was just staring on me, I dont know, I always feel weird walking into a new comic book store.

My shop is pretty friendly though, can't complain.

PWN3R RANGER said:
My shop is pretty friendly though, can't complain.

Yeah, mine is super-nice to the customers. They've taken 10% off or so when I was just a dollar or so short of buying something. They even let you just read in the store.

They also have all these anime DVDs to rent, which is pretty cool. I was able to watch the entire Neon Genesis Evangelion saga for under 20 bucks. :up:

My store's actually quite nice. Very clean place. The guy's who work there are quite sociable, and alot of the customers are in and around my age group. We even get some female customers from time to time.

Yeah my shop has a wide range of people that come. Teens, middle aged guys, mommies, Dad's with their little boys, and omgz! girls!

But the guys who work they are really nice and help out with anything. Like I said, can't complain.

This new store im going to mostly deals with Anime but they have enough comics to appease me. I mostly get my back issues from under the table deals with the mob anyway.

The Question said:
My store's actually quite nice. Very clean place. The guy's who work there are quite sociable, and alot of the customers are in and around my age group. We even get some female customers from time to time.

Yeah. Hell, on Free Comic Day, there was this one chick in this Star Wars cosplay thing...I think she was one of the dancer girls in Jabba's palace in Jedi, but red. She was, to be frank, in so little clothing that I'm surprised the police didn't close us down.

To say the least, I had a smile on my face the rest of the day. :o

Darthphere said:
This new store im going to mostly deals with Anime but they have enough comics to appease me. I mostly get my back issues from under the table deals with the mob anyway.

My store is pretty half-in-half--literary, when you step in, the left side is devoted to comics, the right is devoted to anime, with other little things sprinkled along-side them.

My store is so anti anime, I love it. :O

MaskedManJRK said:
My store is pretty half-in-half--literary, when you step in, the left side is devoted to comics, the right is devoted to anime, with other little things sprinkled along-side them.

Same. Most of the people there are anime kids, they look at the comic rack weird, and ask dumb questions, how do you read these stories, they dont go right to left, odd.

Is it me, or are the shops that sell CCGs considerably geekier than other shopps that just sell comics?:confused:

Darthphere said:
Same. Most of the people there are anime kids, they look at the comic rack weird, and ask dumb questions, how do you read these stories, they dont go right to left, odd.

People have actually asked you that? And you didn't slay them? :o

I have 3 nearby (2 within 100 yards of each other) and none of them are that bad, except for one on saturdays when all the high school kids gather to play Magic and Yugioh (is that how you spell that?). Theres even this one guy from I knew back in high school, he was a bit older than me then and I graduated last year and he dropped out and he calls himself "Dumpster Hobo"... (I'm still WTF???ing about that), he still plays yugioh and he's around his mid-20's. Other than that the shops nearby aren't that bad.

Well my store is great everyone is nice and my friends with the owner and one of the guys who work there. Everynow and then when I don't have enough money that will give me another 20% off or let me pay later.And free stuff I got GI:Joe number 1 signed by the writer.:up: There used to be an old guy around his 40s from the way he looked who would play yugioh only against kids 10 and under. I don't think that guy has been around the store in 2 years.He was creepy.

The comic shop I go to isn't grungy at all. I did used to go to one that was but it's closed down now. The employees were grungy.

Orko Is King said:
Is it me, or are the shops that sell CCGs considerably geekier than other shopps that just sell comics?:confused:
It's just good business, really. NO store can survive just selling comics, there's not enough money to be made. Selling CCGs, or RPGs or miniature games are ways of divirsfying one's business and making it healthier and more lucrative.

Th' most I ever had was I'd be missing a comic or two from my pull list, an' rarely would they get it. Otherwise, my store rocked.

MaskedManJRK said:
People have actually asked you that? And you didn't slay them? :o

No, but ive seen kids open the comics back page first.

Darthphere said:

That's pathetic. Haven't these kids read a real book before?

Darthphere said:
No, but ive seen kids open the comics back page first.

I would have slapped them up-side the head, quite frankly.

KingOfDreams said:
That's pathetic. Haven't these kids read a real book before?

Exactly! Now, were these, like, little kids that would do this, or were they teenagers/adults?

MaskedManJRK said:

I would have slapped them up-side the head, quite frankly.

Exactly! Now, were these, like, little kids that would do this, or were they teenagers/adults?

Id say they were like 8-9 years old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"