The Dark Knight Rises Talia al Ghul

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's absolutely no reason, story-wise, for Talia to masquerade as someone she isn't, the way that there was with regards to the Henri Ducard/Ra's al Ghul scenario.
Aside from the fact she's the daughter of a deceased terrorist who is well recognized in Gotham's underworld, almost leveled Gotham in the first movie and was also responsible for the economic depression years earlier? Aside from the fact that if this is truly a revenge plot against Wayne or Batman (through seduction or otherwise), that he'd probably be able to deduce who she is and what she's up to right away if she went by "Talia" thus making the whole thing collapse on itself?

That's not even going into the fact that it works as a nod to how Nolan approached the "immortal" aspect in the last movie, or the fact that she's probably the new "leader" and thus would be practicing those methods of disguising her identity to continue the tradition we were shown in Batman Begins if they want to stay true to that concept. If anything she has more reason than Ra's to be masquerading as someone else if she's going to be living in Gotham City; perhaps it would be a stretch for it to be Catwoman/Selina, but the notion is still far from ridiculous.

So some people, in order to see Talia, would bastardize not only CW (who, like her or not, is a huge part of the mythos), but also Talia herself?
Talia being introduced in a sequel after the permanent death of Ra's Al Ghul, as a villain on a "revenge" crusade no less, is already a bastardisation of her role in the comics. As for Catwoman, I'd like to stay true to her character, but do we really want to see a jewel thief again? :o Last I checked, Batman wasn't trained by the League of Assassins... but in Nolan's vision, that was necessary in order for Batman to pick up the skills he needed for his theatrics in Gotham. Catwoman too is a very theatrical and skilled character, so unless we want some half-baked reason for her being able to go toe to toe with Batman (that would probably take up a lot of unecessary screen time explaining), we could give her background into the League of Shadows too and give her a simple motivation that gets rid of all the contrivances that comes with introducing a character like her so late with only one film to go by.

Last edited:
We don't need to get the jewel thief (although I don't see the "again" complaint you're making), but to merge her with Talia is 100% asinine.

I don't want her to go toe to toe with Bats, not in the sense others are going against him. He hunts, she runs. If they face each other, I expect acrobatics of a nature completely different than Batman's. The explanation can be interesting.

I also don't want Talia in the film, at least not with the revenge story. So, there, I don't see why the merger has any merits.

We don't need to get the jewel thief (although I don't see the "again" complaint you're making), but to merge her with Talia is 100% asinine.

I don't want her to go toe to toe with Bats, not in the sense others are going against him. He hunts, she runs. If they face each other, I expect acrobatics of a nature completely different than Batman's. The explanation can be interesting.

I also don't want Talia in the film, at least not with the revenge story. So, there, I don't see why the merger has any merits.

Yeah, it should be a cat and bat...I mean mouse game between the two. Catwoman should be a x-factor for Batman. In his greatest hour of need when the odds are against him, Catwoman should come blazing in to assist. Kind of like Han Solo coming to help Luke when he was trying to blow up the Death Star.

Come on now . They are not going to merge Selina Kyle into Talia thats so damn awful . . You could gert away with that with Henri Ducard bwecause his character doesn't have the hisory that Catwoman does .

If they were to merge Talia with anyone ity would be a Julie Madison type character , and again I think its wishful thinking on Talia supporters because Nolan doesn't seem like he would want to rehash the same exact twist as Begins , but if he did you can bet it won't be Talia.

Selina= Talia is just insulting and implasusable

People do know that Asian actresses aren't just east coast of Asia, right?

You do realize that "Asian actress" doesn't mean anything right? It's not a racial description since there are caucasians, orientals, blacks, Indians, polynesians and every other ethnicity in the continent of Asia. It's not a demographic description because American nationals such as Chinese Americans are also "asian." It's not a cultural description since Asian encompasses any number of disparate traditions and cultures.

Grats you were literally anal in your PC *****rdly nitpicking about a largely generic and meaningless term while the larger point (that specifically Talia's mother is part CHINESE) escapes you.

Lol, my post wasn't supposed to be a complaint Nolan/Posters not adhering to the Comic Book so specifically that someone with Talia's EXACT ethnicities should be hired, but to merely show my disappointment with the lack of Asian actresses in cinema. Of course it doesn't have to be exact (and it shouldn't) but Talia looks like she is of Eurasian descent. A lot of portrayals of Asians in cinema are made using white actors (21, Airbender, etc. etc.)...and I'm going to shut up before I go on a tangent.

As for good asian actresses that come to mind: Maggie Q, Kelly Hu, Mylene Jampanoi? (not sure if she even speaks english though). And I'm sure there are dozens of other Hapa actors right now that aren't coming to mind right now.

First of all those are not good actresses. Just chicks who have had small parts that you are aware of and who are partly of Asian descent.

Second, Talia is part Asian but hasn't traditionally been portrayed as "Asian" just generically exotic in Batman mythos. She often looks kind of Italian or Central Asian. In my mind the look of an actress like Mexican actress Barbara Mori (who is a very small part Japanese) is more inline with how Talia has traditionally been drawn... exotic enough to be obviously not white-bred but certainly not distinguishably "asian."

For what it's worth Talia is 1/8 or less Chinese. The rest is basically white. Of course you're right how Hollywood is racist against Asians (and latinos, and Christians, and Arabs and muslims... basically anyone not Leftist WASP or Jew) but saying Talia should be portrayed by an "asian" actress is like saying Nate Robinson must be played by a Filipino in the TV movie of his life. It's a very small part of what she is and certainly not a defining characteristic of her character.

You do realize that "Asian actress" doesn't mean anything right?
Umm, yes it does, it means Asian actresses.....:dry:
It's not a racial description since there are caucasians, orientals, blacks, Indians, polynesians and every other ethnicity in the continent of Asia. It's not a demographic description because American nationals such as Chinese Americans are also "asian." It's not a cultural description since Asian encompasses any number of disparate traditions and cultures.
True, which is why I don't understand why when someone brings up Asian actresses, they only mention east coast Asian actresses as opposed to all of Asia.
Grats you were literally anal in your PC *****rdly nitpicking
My what nitpicking? :huh:
about a largely generic and meaningless term while the larger point (that specifically Talia's mother is part CHINESE) escapes you.
Didn't escape me; Talia's mother is also part Arab, which is more prominent in terms of how Talia has been portrayed.

So excuse the fans that are used to a more Arab looking Talia than a Chinese looking one.

Umm, yes it does, it means Asian actresses.....:dry:

:funny:

Didn't escape me; Talia's mother is also part Arab, which is more prominent in terms of how Talia has been portrayed..

Very true. And the same goes for Ra's, yet our Ra's appeared more French/Irish. This makes me wonder why everyone is so uptight about Talia's ethnicity.

How would people here respond at the idea of someone like Marisol Nichols portraying Talia Al Ghul? I think she has that "Eurasian" look that I've seen some people wanting in the character's features.

I am hoping to god that she's not in TDKR, but if there really is another female role that needs to be filled, and is a villain role, then I don't have much hope.
Damn you, Nolan.
(And I voted Rhona Mitra).

I guess you're right that she could do that, but it's not likely that they'd cast her anyway, since she wasn't on the 'short list' of actresses who were up for consideration for the two female leads as reported by THR's Heat Vision blog earlier this week. Hathaway was on that list, alongside Gemma Atherton, Kiera Knightley, Charlotte Riley, and Jessica Beal.

I think it could be Gemma, Knightley or possibly Watts as Talia. Green may still have a shot.

I think Weisz maybe out, because it looks like she will in the next Bond film.

We don't even know for sure if Watts, Weisz, or Green were even screen-tested; their names might've been on early 'want lists' for the role(s), but, if they were, it is likely that their names were crossed off as those lists were whittled down, since they weren't mentioned by The Hollywood Reporter back on the 11th; if there is in fact a second casting announcement concerning another female character coming, my personal feeling is that it will involve one of the other actresses who were mentioned in THR's report: Knightley, Mara, Riley, Biel, and/or possibly Atherton (if she was able to make her schedule work and do a screen-test with Bale). If there is a second role in the offing and it is Talia, my personal pick of those actresses would be Knightley, as I've said before.

Knightley or Weisz please.
I think Weisz maybe out, because it looks like she will in the next Bond film.
:csad: Bond is cool but Batman is more important! :woot:

We don't even know for sure if Watts, Weisz, or Green were even screen-tested; their names might've been on early 'want lists' for the role(s), but, if they were, it is likely that their names were crossed off as those lists were whittled down, since they weren't mentioned by The Hollywood Reporter back on the 11th; if there is in fact a second casting announcement concerning another female character coming, my personal feeling is that it will involve one of the other actresses who were mentioned in THR's report: Knightley, Mara, Riley, Biel, and/or possibly Atherton (if she was able to make her schedule work and do a screen-test with Bale). If there is a second role in the offing and it is Talia, my personal pick of those actresses would be Knightley, as I've said before.

Knightley just replaced Marion in Cosmopolis and she's in London right now so I think the part she was being considered for was the one she lost to Hathaway.

Not gonna lie, Naomi Watts with a tan and dark hair can easily pull of Talia. :o

I can see both too, but again, I think the other female character is either gonna be Talia or Sofia.

Knightley just replaced Marion in Cosmopolis and she's in London right now so I think the part she was being considered for was the one she lost to Hathaway.

That is what I think has occurred as well.

Marion Cotillard Cast in ‘The Dark Knight Rises’?

It’s starting to become a reunion for the cast of “Inception.”

A new rumor has been circulating that actress Marion Cotillard joined the cast of Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight Rises.”

Le Figaro, a French newspaper, reported “The actress, who is expecting a child in the spring with Guillaume Canet, will be scarce this year. She’ll do a single film and her choice fell on Batman 3.”

The actress is due in May and the Batman film will shoot from May until November.

Could this be French news that was lost in translation? Or would we see the rumored Talia al Ghul in the third Batman film? So who’s next? Maybe Leonardo DiCaprio will make an appearance in the film. Let’s file in this in the very large Batman rumor file.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/marion-cotillard-cast-in-the-dark-knight-rises-12601

After all those months of the "Cotillard for Catwoman" crowd always dismissing other candidates as being "good Talias," I gotta say, this is really rich! :pal:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"