Talking animal movies

Ultimatehero

Life is infinite
Reaction score
I personally really love Homeward Bound and Cats & Dogs. What ones do you like?

I know some people can't stand talking animal movies though, so I'm also wondering -- what don't you like about them? And what would you personally like to see from them? Or what would you like to see improved in them?

Homeward Bound, Dr. Doolittle, the cartoon version of Jungle Book(might not count), and Cats & Dogs.

Maybe I'll think of some more later.

Hot to Trot! About a talking horse, and the horse is voiced by John Candy. It's one of them stupid funny movies.

[YT]cUAZjsooYZ0[/YT]

I wouldn't count Narnia or any of those fantasy movies like Harry Potter or Neverending Story, since the talking animals are never the main characters. Say what you will about Aslan, but the Pevensie kids are front and center in those movies.

There are very few good live action talking animal movies. They almost always come off as gimmicky and cheesy.

In regards to family movies, if we're talking non-animated, I'd have to go with Homeward Bound. I was never much of a Babe fan, but it was still good. The first Stuart Little movie was okay. The Eddie Murphy Doctor Dolittle movies were meh. I hated Cats and Dogs. I actually feel like the live action 101 Dalmatians movie could have benefitted from talking animals (in the Homeward Bound style) to make that movie less boring. I never saw the live action Charlotte's Web but it seemed okay from the trailers.

And there is one talking animal film out there aimed at adults. I really liked that live action made-for-TV adaptation of Animal Farm that aired about 15 years ago. Pete Postlethwaite played the farmer and Patrick Stewart and Ian Holm voiced the pigs. They used a lot of puppetry and it looked pretty good.

I wouldn't count Narnia or any of those fantasy movies like Harry Potter or Neverending Story, since the talking animals are never the main characters. Say what you will about Aslan, but the Pevensie kids are front and center in those movies.

There are very few good live action talking animal movies. They almost always come off as gimmicky and cheesy.

In regards to family movies, if we're talking non-animated, I'd have to go with Homeward Bound. I was never much of a Babe fan, but it was still good. The first Stuart Little movie was okay. The Eddie Murphy Doctor Dolittle movies were meh. I hated Cats and Dogs. I actually feel like the live action 101 Dalmatians movie could have benefitted from talking animals (in the Homeward Bound style) to make that movie less boring. I never saw the live action Charlotte's Web but it seemed okay from the trailers.

And there is one talking animal film out there aimed at adults. I really liked that live action made-for-TV adaptation of Animal Farm that aired about 15 years ago. Pete Postlethwaite played the farmer and Patrick Stewart and Ian Holm voiced the pigs. They used a lot of puppetry and it looked pretty good.

I didn't see anything in the OP post that said that the animals had to be the main star, I just saw talking animal movies, and well, Narnia is a movie featuring talking animals.

What about mutant animals like the 1990 Ninja Turtles. It had a talking rat and turtles.

Were there ever any specific aspects that stood out to you as gimmicky or cheesy?

Were there ever any specific aspects that stood out to you as gimmicky or cheesy?

I could type out a list of reasons, but since it's late and I'm tired, here's the trailer to Racing Stripes:

[YT]bjYd51_zoVk[/YT]

Not really my favorite type of movie but I mostly prefer the live action Scooby Doo movies, & Alvin & The Chipmunk movies with a few other movie exceptions here & there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"