Shazam Tawky Tawny... Yea, or Nay?

KRYPTON INC.

Incorporated Kryptonian
Reaction score
He's a gentleman, talking, anthropomorphic tiger in a suit... Is that TOO much for a modern SHAZAM route in a 21st Century film adaptation or has Rocket Raccoon shown that you can do such characters? Include him in all his goofy glory or tweak things? Personally I very much liked the version from the Black Adam/Superman Shazam short from a few years back. More the Wizards magical familiar than the three piece suit wearing living cartoon character from the books. Thoughts?

A million times yea. Tawky Tawny is great. I mean, the movie is inherently going to be about mysticism. Have him be Billy's dapper as **** spirit guide.

No says I.

He's too kiddified IMO. We don't need tawny or hoppy or the Lieutenants mucking things up.

I can only see him as a big tiger, the new version of Geoff Johns.

Absolutely yes.

A nod to Tawny in the first film would be okay, but eventually they need to "go there".

to use the words of the late macho man randy savage
OH YEAH

Yes.

Just make him into a badass buff man-tiger. Not the cat in a suit version.

A million times yea. Tawky Tawny is great. I mean, the movie is inherently going to be about mysticism. Have him be Billy's dapper as **** spirit guide.

Absolutely.

They could keep that Battlecat wannabe version in the pages of Geoff Johns comics and away from the movie thank you very much.

Absolutely.

They could keep that Battlecat wannabe version in the pages of Geoff Johns comics and away from the movie thank you very much.

:up:

Perhaps, not in the first movie but he certainly needs to appear some time.

Anyone ever see the series Wonderfalls? That was how I saw Tawky Tawny as. A more Calvin and Hobbes style relationship.

Yes, I wouldn't mind seeing him.

He's a gentleman, talking, anthropomorphic tiger in a suit... Is that TOO much for a modern SHAZAM route in a 21st Century film adaptation or has Rocket Raccoon shown that you can do such characters? Include him in all his goofy glory or tweak things? Personally I very much liked the version from the Black Adam/Superman Shazam short from a few years back. More the Wizards magical familiar than the three piece suit wearing living cartoon character from the books. Thoughts?

If they did him like the Asthlan character from the chronicles of Narnia franchise, sure, but I think they character would be a little too campy as a talking anthropomorphic tiger. Sure, Marvel can get away with that, but I doubt DC could do the same.

I say thee Yay,

if it's this version of Tawny... just imagine this with a Sean Connery Bond type of voice.

2555353-tawky_tawny_underestimating_tigers.jpg

Magic Talking Tiger > Regular Tiger > Anthro Tiger with Tiger Features > Anthro Tiger with cartoon features.

I would be fine with him, maybe he is a cat that shazam uses his magic to supe up into a badass (big but normal looking) Tiger similar to battle cat.

Last edited:
I'm all for Tawky Tawny. Done right he could be the Groot or [insert popular non-human ensemble dark-horse character here] of the film and its sequels.

This was Sandberg's first Instagram post with that tiger toy

DIr_B-_I1_Xg_AAumw_G.jpg

This is probably a hint for Tawky Tawny's appearance in Shazam. ;) ;)

If they take the Wizard and Billy's mentor relationship seriously I can see them adding Tawny in to be a bit of comedic relief. Maybe the Wizard can be stuck on the Rock and he sends his "familiar" out to advise Billy in the mortal world?

Something like New 52 would work; Tawny is a tiger Billy visits by sneaking into the zoo at night.

Something like New 52 would work; Tawny is a tiger Billy visits by sneaking into the zoo at night.

If that's the case I'll gladly pass on this movie.

Was always interested in a Captain Marvel movie but not like this. I get that Johns' work is more appealing to "new" fans and modern sensibilities (in light of Stranger Things and IT why not MORE kids besides Billy, Mary and Freddy?) but it's not what I'm interested in.

I'll just read Thunderworld again to see a great and unapologetic modern take on those classic Fawcett sensibilities. Unless the movie ends up being unanimously exceptional. Which I doubt since this is the DCEU we're talking about here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"