The Dark Knight TDK blue filter

The orange filtering gave the movie more of an Autumn look, which makes sense to me. They even had a fall-themed villain in Scarecrow, if that's not reading too much into it.

The blue filter is much more winter-like, which makes sense since this is the sequel to an Autumn tinted film and is meant to be chronological.

last i heard nolan is one of the few directors that "filters" his set lighting to give specific scenes an atomosphere

other than that most productions save all the colouring untill post where the film itself goes through a chemical process that dyes everything on screen and even inverts elements of the colour within the film into something new (bluing a blue coat will change the blue)

most directors are forced to do it this way cause if u do anything to the film/frame before post production, ur pretty much stuck with what you've got..and it's risky

but nolans got this flirtation with danger about him...

note eventhough minority report was blue as bad place the actually dailies were very indifferent.

nolans dailies are pretty much the final...as far as tint's concerned

that being said, i found begins very lame/tame in many aspects weather it be action, colour timing, and even plot...and sure as bad place in the bruce/batman characterization...
guess i watch too much dexter and love my year one issue too much
(maybe it was the lack of internal dialouge)
(or real fight scenes)

tangent much

i think nolan will keep his universe consistent looking!
he's a good filmmaker that way..

this isn't LA to Prague ala blade to blade 2

next, green?
hmmmmmmm

LOL, i was thinking that too, since WB's also did the Matrix movies as well. but there WAS a scene in BB where there was a heavy green matrix-like tint, the scene when crane and rachel get off the elevetor. i saw that and immidetly thought "matrix".

anyway, i have said this from the begining, blue fits batman better then piss yellow or brown, and if this down turn out to be the primary color for the film, i will be happy. last time they did this was in Batman Returns, there was a heavy blue/black tint to the film that i thought fit perfect in batmans world. but i still see shades of brown in TDK, so im not sure yet. the posters indicate a blueer color, so who knows...

I was just watching the trailer again. It's hard to tell because of the quality, but some of the scenes appear blue and some appear orange tinted. It's very possible that the color progressively changes as the plot develops. This also goes with my seasonal theory as stated further up the page.

i guess it depends on the time of day...

day: yellow/white/orange
night: blue/grey/black

i guess it depends on the time of day...

day: yellow/white/orange
night: blue/grey/black

I don't know...that shot of Bruce sitting in front of the window looks like it's daytime, yet the tint looks blue.

it's pretty obvious that this movie is going for a more natural look than BB. BB was VERY MUCH inspired by Blade Runner with all the orange and warm colors. TDK looks to incorporate not only blue tints, but green as well.

from the poster it looks like that they will use now the blue filter.

i made manips to see how it would look. what do you think? i like it. and i think in a way it is nice that they are changing it since they are telling a different story.

This is the most interesting point thats been made on here for a while, nice observation.
Begins felt really warm and claustrophobic due to the brown filter, the dark knight is just going to be so much cooler all round
:brucebat:

The Dark Knight does appear to have blue tones to it. This will give it a totally different feel from Begins.I like it.Blues always make a movie appear to be more realistic to me.The Joker will be scarier looking under a blue filter.

I think it works much better than the yellow/orange of Begins -- never was too much of a fan of that hue. They have rectified my only, very small, complaint.

:)

Co-sign.

But I'm bias as I tend to prefer blue filters to any other kind.

So this thread is based on the bad quality video of the trailer and the blue tint on the posters, eh?
OK...All i can say is wait untill you see the trailer in HD before making more assumptions

In the trailer and prologue..the only scenes that look particularily blue filtered are batman standing on the sears tower, the joker cards, and the prison scenes (although there more greyish..), the rest seems to be consistent to Begins colour scheme..especially the street battles.

I think it's just lighting..this movie will probably be pretty consistent tonally to Begins.

So what will SotB's hue be? Purple? Green (Matrix)? Pink (Two-Face teol)? :p

What the bad place is sotb...

Shadow of the Bat, a supposed (or totally made up) title for the potential (hopefully likely) 3rd Nolan Batman film :)

Though I'm astounded that so many people didn't like the yellow/black aura of Begins. I thought it gave the film a very Halloweenish/face-your-fears kind of feel.

I think both hues are currently equal, but blue is my favorite color, so... :whatever:

Blue is a cold color, so it works perfect for the tone they wanna set

Blue will look good, but I like the urban orange better. It's grittier looking.

And the tint has to be one of the easiest things to change. It's just a matter of giving it a pass through Color (part of the Final Cut Pro Studio suite of apps) at any point. Could even be the last thing they did (I doubt it, but it could be).

Once they have the hue they want, you just apply it in a blanket manner to every bit of digitized film you have. It's a few hours rendering time depending on length and definition of the film.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/color/

Dude, I think you're totally jumping the gun.

The trailer is full of nighttime shots that are just as amber as BB.

There was also a LOT of blue in the trailer. I think there is going to be more contrast in the lighting than before. We'll get the amber but also blue. The prologue is neither.

The yellow/brown tint in Begins grew on me after a while. I love blue tints, but I hope the film's not too monochromatic either way. I wanna see a good blanaced mix. Different scenes, different but appropriate looks.

The blue tint fits Gotham better, but I still see hints of the Batman Begins orange tint.

The orange tint made Gotam look more like a city from bad place, where as this new tint shows off the misery of the people in it, its gloomier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"