The Dark Knight Rises TDKR Reviews/Reactions (SPOILERS/Read At Your Own Risk) (NO DISCUSSION!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NateHevens

Social Justice Warrior
Reaction score
This for reviews and reactions to the film only. there's another thread to discuss the reviews and reactions in.

Please do not discuss them here. Just post them. Make sure to use spoiler tags!

Last edited by a moderator:
9Iqix.png

theShape's reaction:

Here we go. Before I start, I can't handle the questions. I'm not answering them. I'm not spoiling the movie for anyone. No PMs with spoilers.

Having said that, HOLY MOLEY DEPUTY COMMISSIONER FOLEY, this is a great film. It's not a summer blockbuster by any means, and yet, it totally is (if that makes sense). The biggest question everyone asks: "is it better than TDK?" and I'll answer that by saying it's really different. Everything's different. The characters are different (even Bruce at first), the tone is different, and the story is different. But everything is BIGGER and, in my eyes, better. I love the Joker as much as anyone else (my favorite villain in any medium) but Bane's plan is more creative, better executed, and a little more fun to watch as it all unfold.

I also don't want to get into story specifics because there's really no need, but listen...if you've followed this forum like I have and read most of the "spoilers" over the past few months, I can tell you that many of us have guessed correctly on many of the various story tidbits that have come our way. Still, that doesn't make this film any less exciting to watch and there are PLENTY of surprises still in store (scenes, moments, plot points). I beg you all: DON'T READ SPOILER REVIEWS. You're all so close! Why would you want to read specific quotations and the fates of characters and the film's ending? I'll never understand that.

More to come...

The first reactions/reviews so far...

From The Shape - ''Wow. Quite speechless at the moment, but i'll say that TDKR was everything I wanted it to be. I'll post up on SHH when I get home.

There was no mention of any embargo but I assume the professional critics know the deal anyways. Don't read spoilers if they come afloat''

From theShape:

I really don't want to answer questions right now lol and I refuse to spoil anything for anyone. When I get back on SHH, i'll write up a little something - still no spoilers - about the film overall, the characters, and the actors who were all spectacular.

https://twitter.com/TomMcAuliffe/status/221288483812159489

Just finished the screening of Dark Knight Rises...so much awesome...can't wait to see it again. And again.

As far as audience reaction, there were only 40-50 ppl in attendance (mostly critics), but there was applause and I leaned over and shook Michael Uslan's hand and congratulated him when his name appeared in the credits. I, myself, cried twice...once out of sadness and once out of pure geeky uncontrollable happiness.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DKRSHH/

Tom McAuliffe ‏@TomMcAuliffe
@sridhar1396 9 out of 10 for me. I'd put Amazing Spider-Man at a 7.5 and Avengers at an 8.5
Here's our first score.

"I really don't want to answer questions right now lol and I refuse to spoil anything for anyone. When I get back on SHH, i'll write up a little something - still no spoilers - about the film overall, the characters, and the actors who were all spectacular." ·

Another one:

I'm almost afraid to post this after KOF's reactions, but i just got out of an exhibitor screening in Dallas of TDKR. It was absolutely incredible. Better than TDK in almost all ways. Whoever gave this a 9/10 is being too harsh. If this isn't a 10, then a 10 does not exist.

Let me start with the story. The story is tied in perfectly to the other two films and I do believe this is a perfect trilogy. Quite a bit of the speculation on these boards is very close to the truth, but there are many aspects of the story that have not been speculated about. Expect a few good surprises.

The performances of the actors are magnificent. I can't decide if Anne Hathaway, JGL, Hardy, or Bale give the best performance. Anne Hathaway flirts the line between sexy and vicious very well. She is a bad broad. She captures the ambiguity of her character very well and looks sexy as bad place in her get-up. JGL is basically the heart of Gotham during the film. He is a young cop who quickly earns the respect of Gordon during this time. His character is VERY important to the story. Bale gives his best Batman performance yet. The voice is perfect the entire time and you see him go through several
changes as a person in this film. Hardy is a bad bad dude. His performance is truly brillaint when you consider the obstacles of the mask. There are a few takes that the audio seems a little off from his expressions but all in all, he is great. The emotion he shows with his eyes, particularly towards the end is really something.

The score, cinematography, and editing are top notch. I unfortunately did not watch this in the best of theaters and that may have taken away from some of the brilliance of it. I can't wait to watch it again in IMAX, because there are several scenes that were obviously paired down for the smaller screen.

Rest easy everyone, Chris Nolan has outdone himself and has created a masterpiece. This may go down as one of the best movies ever. Certainly in my top 10 for best movies I've ever seen. If this does not break the mold and win Best Picture, no comic book movie ever will.

Let the flaming begin.

More from theShape:

One HUGE thing everyone will want to know is that Bane is completely audible. I saw the prologue at the same theater I saw this film (Lincoln Square iIMAX NYC) and I can tell you that right from the start, I noticed that Bane's dialogue had either been boosted up or re-dubbed (some lines seemed a little different). And there was no problem hearing him through the rest of the film, maybe one or two lines I missed. Overall, though, Gordon is the person I had the most trouble making out a times, and I also had this problem during TDK in theaters.

All of the actors are at the top of the game. Anne Hathaway completely blew me away, and this is coming from a guy who really isn't a fan of any of her other movies. She has her own little musical theme and represents many of the film's most comic-booky moments. I practically fell head over heels in love with her during the film. Selina's motivation during the first half of the film is a little lame, but she plays an intricate role in the entire film and it wouldn't be the same without her. The dynamic between her and Batman is wayyyy better and more fleshed out than it was in Batman Returns, mainly because Selina is a much more believable character and more like her comic book counterpart.

Other quick things: The Bane>Batman beatdown that we all know is coming completely blew me away, more than I thought it would. There's no music backing this scene at all, which makes it all the more powerful.

I LOVE the way Batman fights in this film whenever he does. When he fights, he roars and screams with anger and range, especially when he faces Bane. I also think his suit looks 100x better than it did in TDK for some reason.

The music was incredible, as we all knew it would be. Can't even begin to explain this to you but the final minutes had me in tears.

I really liked Blake's character. Not spoiling anything about him, but he is strongly tied into the story and has interactions with pretty much all the major characters. He will certainly represent one of the biggest talking points about the film...and no, his name is not Dick Grayson.

More...

Some fans will find the ending controversial, but I don't buy into that at all and I loved it. It fits with the over-arching theme of the series and specifically this film, and it's seeded and built up throughout the entire story.

Also, the ending is done very well. I personally did not think it will be too controversial. I think it was pulled off great. It puts a very good ending to Bruce Wayne's story. The very very last scene will cause serious speculation about the future of the franchise, but it is pulled off well. Everyone in the theater applauded at the end.

It's long but doesn't feel too long. TDKR tops Avengers in every category: acting, writing, cinematography, musical score, direction...but it really does boil down to personal preference. The action in TDKR is not as over-the-top or computerized.

And Bruce Wayne owns this movie. You guys will be surprised just how badly Bane beats him down, and how epic his journey is.

I thought she was pretty amazing and she showed true range in the role. Not sure about Oscar chances though. Maybe.

Less Batman scenes, plenty of Bruce scenes though. Batman's scene pack a punch.

Bale killed this one. He was great.

Last edited:
From Zach Pincus:
https://twitter.com/ZachPincus/statuses/221339209905078272

The Dark Knight Rises is not only easily the best Batman movie yet, but now one of my favorite movies I've ever seen. It was unbelievable!

From Niko Tiapula:
https://twitter.com/#!/NikoTiapula

It's official. #TheDarkKnightRises is ****ing amazing. It received a standing ovation from the screening this morning (all critics).

"All I can say is....be ready to be hit REAL hard in The Dark Knight Rises. Very emotional and powerful. Blows TDK out of the water."

Last edited:
More positive reactions:
Victor J DePasqual ‏@AustinMovieSnob
@AdmMoody Knightfall is classic. I read that as it was released. Talk about being riveted. TDKR is a masterpiece.

Victor J DePasqual ‏@AustinMovieSnob
@BLopez527 It’s a masterpiece. No doubt about that. TDK and TDKR stand head & shoulders above everything else.

FilmSamurai on Twitter:
That was… that was a thing of beauty. Amazing visuals, the tension, the emotion. Wow! The bar has truly been raised! #TDKR

@spleenter "TDKR tops Avengers in every category: acting, writing, cinematography, musical score, direction..."

@spleenter
"Best conclusion to a film I have seen since ‘The Shawshank Redemption"

‏@spleenter
"Literally in the same league as ‘The Godfather: Part II’ in terms of story-telling and character"

@spleenter
"Bane, whilst nowhere near as impressive as Joker, was an excellent choice for a bad guy. This guy is pure malevolence."

@spleenter
Hathaway nailed her character and made her own interpretation but there are many little traits from past origins that come into play

@spleenter
"Best than TDK, the last 15 min are unbelievable"

Translated by goodwill2011
http://weibo.com/lazycatlovemovie

Blacked out lines contain spoilers. You are warned.

TDKR (B+) It keeps the style of the previous installments. The IMAX city skyline shots are spectacular (especially for the bird's eye views). However, it lacks astounding, stunning characters such as the Joker, played by Heath Ledger. It is hard to exceed what TDK has archived. The villiain pales in comparison. There is hardly any expressions seen, just a bunch of muscules punching and mumbling. The first half of the film is quite dull with too many dialogues and not enough highlights. It is until the [BLACKOUT]siege[/BLACKOUT] when the pace picks up. [BLACKOUT]There is a small twist at the end though the audience will find it hardly surprising. [/BLACKOUT]
Fans of Nolan knows the characteristics of his movie: He likes IMAX so make sure you watch it in a IMAX theater. He uses a lot of foreshadowing in storytelling. Many details and subtleties are conveyed through the dialogues. You should pay good attention to the dialogues unlike most other comic book movies, or you may be confused in the end. This is a more serious film and with very few humourous moments , don't expect pure entertainment like the Avengers. It feels less heavy than TDK tough.
Nolan tried very hard to make this less a popcorn movie but a serious crime movie. But the villain is not particularly attractive and the fighting is monotonous. The pacing is imblanced. Only relying on[BLACKOUT]the mass destruction of the city[/BLACKOUT] is not gripping enough. In the end, [BLACKOUT]when the "truth" is revealed.[/BLACKOUT] The audience is like "well, ok" and [BLACKOUT]not as surprised as Batman in the movie[/BLACKOUT]

The only highlights are Hathaway (very sexy) and JGL(plays a important role)
At the time I saw TDK at IMAX, I was so stunned that I literally rushed to everyone telling how great it is. But I don't feel such groundbreaking feeling with TDKR. It may be because the performance of Ledger and the tragic atmosphere brought by his death is not here anymore.
The audience had little reaction this time. The choreography and the score are excellent, espically some bird's eye views over the city. It feels like as if you will fall straight into it sitting in front of an IMAX screen. The Bat looks a bit bulky. I prefer the Batpod.
Hathaway's character is the most facsinating one in the movie. She is sexy all the way down, escpially her tone. There is not much action though. Her action/fighting scene are not as good as the Black Widow ones in the Avengers. In TDKR the fighting of Batman, Bane, Catwoman are all quite dull. What differs most from the previous catwoman is that [BLACKOUT]it is only in the news reports she is referred as "the catwoman". [/BLACKOUT]She doesn't have too many traits of cats either, but still a very interesting character. Her ambiguous relationship with batman is also a highlight. The cat ears actually come from the goggles.
To avoid spoilers on character relationships I will keep this light. JGL is not only a passer-by, he has screen time [BLACKOUT]not less than batman[/BLACKOUT]. Marion Cotillard must be the kind of[BLACKOUT] deluding female[/BLACKOUT] figure in Nolan's mind. She was [BLACKOUT]casted twice (inception and TDKR) to play the beauty who is the source of trouble.[/BLACKOUT] There are[BLACKOUT]some characters from Batman Begins returning [/BLACKOUT]so the trilogy is all tied in with each other. But what Nolan cant bring back is the classic Heath Ledger.
TDK made me stunned at the very fist minutes. However, TDKR is mostly foreshadowing in the first half, only the scenes with the catwoman mades me excited. I understand what Nolan fans think. The story and effects are top-notch in comic book movies definitely.The film is unlikely to exceed the Avengers in the Box Office to due poor release time (in Mainland China she means) and ordinary folks who don't know who nolan is.
The fans of Tom Hardy please don't rage, I feel sorry for him. He only [BLACKOUT]shows his face once[/BLACKOUT] and you can't see his expression with the mask. It makes the character dull. His dialoge are with noises and sometimes unclear. The Bane character is not addressed too much. Without sufficient background and foreshadowing it's hard for the audicence to connect with him. I do not intend to compare him with the Joker, but a movie pales without a great villiain.
I think there is a lot of misunderstanding from the commenters. I didn't say TDKR is trash by giving it B+! Why do you think I am trying to defame it? I am just trying to say it doesn't exceed the previous one and is with flaws. But I certainly believes it has its merits. Could it be said that i think TDKR is trash because I didn't give it an A?
About some commenters mentioning that there was a standing ovation after a press screening, what I am trying to say is, it doesn't happen in my screening. There was clapping in the end, but it is short. The audience just started to leave then. A few stayed til the credits end but no clappings as well. Back at TDK there was a continuous clapping. I didn't see many discussions after I got out. There wasn't much reaction during the movie. It's a fact, not my comment.
Only talking about the performances, I would say Christian Bale did the best job in TDKR. Perhaps it is because Batman went through the most in the film. Hathaway is also good as Catwoman, being both seducive and complex. The supporting characters are good as well.

Jamie Ottley ‏@JayOttley
The Dark Knight Rises was the masterpiece of all comic films, the best was saved for last... Oscar for Best Picture and Bane as Tom Hardy

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur23582121/comments
*** This review may contain spoilers ***

I had the honor of watching TDKR during a screening and was completely blown away! Christopher Nolan's third film in his Batman trilogy doesn't disappoint. The movie is incredibly well made, its huge production is quite breathtaking to view. This is a true cinematic experience, to behold. The movie exceeded my expectations in terms of action, and entertainment. The movie's score high-lites many of its incredible scenes, and at times, it takes your breath away.

The film featured excellent performances, by all the cast. Christian Bale, as always is great as Batman. Anne Hathaway was completely engrossing, she became "Catwoman", just like Michele Pfeiffer did, although their interpretations were very different, both were equally effective. Tom Hardy was the main villain "Bane" completely shattered my expectations. One of the best superhero movie villains, I've ever seen. The terror caused by him, is completely believable and quite menacing. Marlion Cotilliard, Michael Cane, Gary Oldman, and others all did well in their respective roles. Now I know most will miss Heath Ledger as the Joker.(I know I do) I hope people don't compare Tom Hardy's performance to Heath Ledger's, its completely unfair and the two characters are very different. Just read the comics.

The colossal size of the film is a spectacle to behold, but surprisingly you don't get lost with all the explosions and extravagant action scenes, like in other films,(AKA Transformers, or POTC.) If one were to gripe, and I suppose there will never be a film made that one cannot find a point at which to grip, it is painfully long running time here. I found myself more worried about the pain in my posterior than the emotional final minutes after 3 hours (including ads and previews) that I had spent in a cramped seat, but that's just how I am. However the ending is just fantastic, so emotional and bring the trilogy to a very satisfying end.

Sorry if I'm being all fan-boyish and kissing this movie's behind, but I really admire it. It may not be among my personal favorites but generally this seems to be the movie event of this year. As a film though, this is amazing. A true lasting legacy in superhero story telling and summer-blockbusters.

I cannot recommend this film anymore than I have, I just have to say everyone and anyone should see it. 10/10

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/enterta...es-on-the-sound-stage-with-christopher-nolan/

For two and a half hours, I was completely taken into another world. I experienced that larger than life sensation of watching a perfectly constructed story play out, it really was a palpable feeling. After watching the film, I had a renewed sense of childlike wonder. It felt like I saw “Batman” again for the very first time.

As we left the screening room, and parted ways with the PR people, The intuitive Mr. Connelly let me have it. “Ok, now you can let it out” he said. I screamed, like an excited school girl.

Criticschoice.com 72/100 so far without the docum. reviewer 85/100

Nancy Jay

Primary Outlet:EXTV and Radio The Dark Knight Rises100

Claude G. Budin-Juteau

Primary Outlet:TV5Monde/France Television 2 The Dark Knight Rises50
one other 100, 90(speculative), 20(documentary reviewer)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"