TDKR vs Civil War

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Kobra, May 12, 2016.

?

The Dark Knight Rises vs Civil War

1. TDKR

2. CW

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Awest66 Registered

Fair enough. I'm not really a huge fan of IM3 and it has a solid critical rating.

2. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

TDKR didn't suck IMO. Compared to the first two, it was the weakest (IMO). Still, it was at the very worst, a decent movie with spectacular cinematography.

I just thought CW was, overall, a better movie.

Over, out, and tired.

Cheers.

3. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I thought IM3 was probably the weakest MCU entree.

4. Steamteck Registered

Well said. If there some way to upvote you on these boards, I would.

5. Neil McCauley Registered

I understand why this poll is close but Civil War is far better for me.
    • Plot: Civil War but both had great highs
    • Characters: Tie
    • Pacing: Civil War by far
    • Visuals: Rises
    • Acting: Tie or Rises
    • Cinematography: Civil War
    • Score: Rises
    • Entertainment: Civil War
    • Action: Civil War by far
    • Villain: Rises by far
    • Themes: Tie or Civil War
    Overall, Civil War. It's my 4th favorite CBM meanwhile Rises is 9th.

#630 Neil McCauley, Sep 8, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Awest66 and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  6. Gothamsknight Registered

The Dark Knight Rises by far, for me.

KaijuDude1992 and Filmfreak like this.
  7. Neil McCauley Registered

Could you explain why? Civil War had two important themes and they executed them well plus a stronger and more emotional ending and better action.

TDK and BB are better yes but i'd only put them and TWS above Civil War.

8. Gothamsknight Registered

a few reasons, but for me the main thing is the emotional punch TDKR has for me over Civil War. Civil War definitely had it too, particularly in the fight between Iron Man and cap/bucky. That scene was incredible, but overall I feel like Civil War sort of confused me in terms of what it was trying to tell me. Like, the airport fight, which was good, ended up not meaning anything (to me at least). The stuff between Iron Man, Cap and bucky had far more of an emotional punch and that wasn't until later. TDKR, for me, felt like the complete circle of Bruces character arc. We start his journey in BB falling down a well, and in Rises, Bruce is rising out of that pit, which is just so symbolically powerful to me.

I didn't get that from Civil War. Also I feel like it less a Captain America movie and more of Captain America with the Avengers.

9. Rorschach2012 Batman is my Dad

Civil War is way better

TDKR is probably the least enjoyable Batman movie ever. It’s objectively good but god it’s a slog. Not enjoyable.

10. Neil McCauley Registered

Okay, I understand and disagree with some of the stuff you said.

The airport fight was really well done and fun, besides a few jokes it was a great scene, and well choreographed. I think that Civil War did hit its mark where it needed tone wise. For instance,

I mean except Black Panther, no one's trying to kill each other. They were trying to get a non-lethal fight, i can't expect for people to forget about the moments they had in the past films and just go at each other's throats like generic vigilantes. Plus, we had some people getting hurt so there were high stakes there. With Panther or Cap vs IM again, they were exactly trying to portray what they did. Humor is appropriate and being serious is appropriate aswell.

I think that the pit scene is powerful and great and the third best scene in the movie alongside the opening and the sewer fight but I wouldn’t put it above Civil War's airport fight or Cap vs Panther talking scene. We had a symbol of politics, hope and revenge in these scenes and they are still a great fun to watch.

Bruce's arc was solid but I liked him more in BB and TDK (which are better than CW) meanwhile CW had T Challa’s, Tony's and Cap's arc completed and managed to handle a lot of characters and give us a very important theme: registration.

It was a Captain America movie and a kinda an Avengers 2.5? But the protagonist is clear; it's Cap. Every action of the movie changed because of Cap and the conflict was because of their ideals and their friends.

Bane was amazing, no doubt and on par or better than CW's best characters, Catwoman was solid but there's some stuff that bothers me a bit on rewatch. TDKR was a bit a drop of quality compared to TDK meanwhile CW was extremely close to TWS quality-wise, and while TDKR is probably a better trilogy ending, CW had a better ending because how the movie went. You get what I mean?

I can totally understand why you prefer TDKR, hell I did before but I think CW is overall more entertaining and a better film.

#635 Neil McCauley, Sep 8, 2020
    metaphysician likes this.
  11. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I like TDKR although I was expecting even better from Nolan given how well he ended Inception and TDK. I though he’d end the trilogy on a supreme, all conquering note rather than good.

I prefer Civil War, which was my favourite from Marvel until Infinity War.

12. Rorschach2012 Batman is my Dad

Agreed on all points. My two favorite marvel films are those as well

13. Filmfreak Registered

Civil War is great and one of the top MCU movies and yet TDKR is leagues above for me.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  14. Neil McCauley Registered

Agreed and I think that Zemo was overall a good villain and his plan is believable, with comicbook logic.

TDKR is still the 2nd best trilogy/franchise ending in my opinion besides CW tho, so he did not disappoint me

Nolan's last amazing film was Interstellar, I feel Dunkirk and Tenet while being solid, aren't as great as his other works.

TDKR is basically between these, a bit worse than Interstellar but better than Tenet by far.

15. KaijuDude1992 Registered

Honestly, I think both are equally great in there own ways, but if I had to choose one it would probably be Civil War only because its less convoluted and the story flowed a lot better to me. I also loved the introductions we got for both Spider-Man and Black Panther.

Zemo was a good villain, but Bane was far more memorable and as far as endings go TDKR's was easily stronger, but CW's wasn't exactly a conclusive ending, so its hard to compare IMO, but that final fight between Tony, Cap and Bucky is fantastic and emotional as hell.

Kev4000 and Neil McCauley like this.
  16. Neil McCauley Registered

I kinda agree with this^

Both films are a lot rewatchable and can be argued to be "all-time greats" I think, so you can't really go wrong with either.

I think that BB vs Civil War is close and I would give the edge to BB due to being a bit better in terms of cinematography, soundtrack and acting.

#641 Neil McCauley, Sep 8, 2020
  17. Awest66 Registered

Less than the Schumacher films, BvS and the New 52 animated Batman movies (Son of Batman, Batman vs Robin, Bad Blood and Hush)? I find that very hard to believe.

18. MCU King Registered

TDKR has the better cinematography.

Civil War has the better script, performances, and fight sequences.

TDKR's script might be the sloppiest one Nolan has ever been attached to as director.

19. Dede Registered

Tdkr it’s better in every category imo. Civil war is a top 10 cbm and top 3 mcu movie. It has the best fight scenes of the mcu by far for me. Zemo I just wish was a little more comic accurate

20. The Batman The Dark Knight

You're responding to a BvS fan.

21. noob Registered

im surprised tdkr is actually winning after all this site is obsessed with bashing rises

22. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Eh, while this community does seem to love hating on Rises, it definitely loves praying to the Nolan Batman movies as a whole more.

23. The Batman The Dark Knight

^ That would make sense if this were a "TDK Trilogy vs" thread...and even then, TDK trilogy lost a poll against the Cap Trilogy. This community also loves "Praying" to certain MCU properties, especially if it's Cap/Russo Bros related.

24. Neil McCauley Registered

I checked the thred yesterday and it's 50/50.

Anyways, still Civil War.

25. The Batman The Dark Knight

The Cap Trilogy has 75 Votes.

The Dark Knight Trilogy has 74 Votes.

That's not 50/50. 50/50 would be them having an equal number of votes. Which, currently...they don't.