The Dark Knight TDK's Joker: The best film villain of all time?

I think Magneto is the best comic book villain of all time. From there , Joker is the best villain in Batman's rogue gallery. I don't think TDK was the best villain in cinematic history but I'd rank him high on the list.

Depends on the mood, he's mostly one of the best

You guys thinking the Joker is the best villain or tied for must be children. You need to see more movies. Is he awesome yes, but best no way.

He isn't, but he's miles ahead of Nicholson's Jokah.

This came from a Nicholsonfan, neva forget that.

The best movievillain ever for me is...

Gary Oldman in Léon, followed closely by Anthony Hopkins as Lecter.

I'd say Norman Bates is my personal favorite, but I love Ledger's Joker.

He certainly left an impact on people. Hell, I recently bought this shirt:
image-tsbatdkjkrclose-primary-watermark.jpg

Normally, I'd say Darth Vader is the best villain ever, but Heath Ledger's performance I think surpassed any other villain I've ever seen.

Even Hannibal. Hannibal was great, but at the end of the day, he's just Anthony Hopkins turning in a great performance. Same with Vader and JEJ.

Ledger wasn't Ledger in TDK. He transcended himself and truly became someone else. Without question, one of my favorite performances of all time.

In recent years yes he is the best. Personally though he is tied with Vader.

I think if we are talking in recent years he is not even the best. Bill the Butcher or Anton Chigurh should fight for that honor

I would not hesitate to say that TDK's Joker is the best film villain in the superhero genre. But if we were to look at film villains as a whole, there are a few I'd put above him.

Norman Bates
Hannibal Lecter
Jack Torrance
Walter Kurtz
Darth Vader
Anton Chigurh
Hans Landa

Also, it was a very small role, but I have a soft spot for Delbert Grady. Philip Stone is so damn unnerving in that bathroom scene.

"My girls, sir, they didn't care for The Overlook at first. One of them actually stole a pack of matches and tried to burn it down. But I corrected them, sir. And when my wife tried to prevent me from doing my duty, I corrected her."

Last edited:
The joker has won top spot in my books. This would be my list of top villains.

Joker - heath ledger
Darth Vader
Darth Sidious
Hannibal Lector
Lex Luthor

Honestly theres way too many movies to single out the Joker. But he would def be on a top 10 list.

I think dude from the Hitcher was pretty creepy....

Am I wrong in saying that Joaquin Pheonix's Commodus is absurdly underrated? Why do i never see people mentioning him on lists like these? He was a fantastic villain. Better than both Jokers.

And it seems a lot of people need to watch a lot more movies. For example, One Who Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Nurse Ratchet. Best villain of all time.

Agreed... it seems like a lot of peopes "best villain of all time" lists consists of polled movies from that last 20 years.

And it seems a lot of people need to watch a lot more movies. For example, One Who Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Nurse Ratchet. Best villain of all time.
Nah, not really. She was just one of those "kill the ***** already" characters.

Agreed... it seems like a lot of peopes "best villain of all time" lists consists of polled movies from that last 20 years.
As apposed to movies made 30 years ago? :rolleyes:

I've seen Rachet, I've seen Lecter, Vader and Jaws (the later two being from 30+ years ago too, btw), I've even seen Frankstein, Dracula and the Phantom of the Opera...and all things considered, IMO, Ledger's performance is better those all of those mentioned.

Don't go and try to discredit my opinion - and in the process insult my rather extensive knowledge of film - by saying I haven't seen any old movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"