Ted Turner's colorization of B&W movies

Hordakfan

Civilian
Reaction score
Remembered in the 80s when he was doing that? i remember that as a kid watching some of the movies on TBS especially King Kong colored but did saw the B&W versions later on when Turner changed his mind.

Actors and directors like Spielberg, James Stewart, John houston, George Lucas, Woody Allen and others were against this and protested. However in 1989 the National film Registry and AFI were born to protect/preserve films in their authentic state and Turner changed his mind.

Any thoughts on Ted Turner's coloring?

Well I have no real comment on Turner or his colorizing black & white films, but I do find it incredibly funny that George Lucas protested colorizing old black & white films on the grounds that it destroyed our "national heritage" and then he did pretty much everything he could to try and destroy the original theatrical versions of his own Star Wars trilogy while trying to force (no pun intended) multiple special editions on the general public even though the fans didn't really ask for the special editions or want them. :hehe:

Spielberg was also protesting too and i think he also made a speech to congress as well.

Have you seen "These Amazing Shadows"? great documentary on film preservation of American cultural classics of importance and in the beginning it shows the Ted Turner controversy on news footage including some footage of Woody Allen and James Stewart against this. It's about the National Film registry and institute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"