Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was juvenile humour in the first movie as well though.

But as I said I enjoy both.

so did anyone every see all the rumored easter eggs in the technodrome now the blu ray is out

Anyone else remembered 'peanuts in the bar' scene from Superman III while watching angry Casey in a bar?

I felt that in a lot of ways Out of the Shadows was a worse movie than the first. Sure it's story made more sense because it didn't have jarring reshoots, the CGI is better and the film actually focuses on the titular characters. But it all seemed so try-hard to me. Think what you will about the first terrible movie but it at least seemed like it was trying to do it's own thing mostly and not just poorly pandering to whims of the fans of the 1987 show.

Has anybody watched the show recently because it doesn't hold up from what I can gather. Taking pieces from that show was fine but making a live-action version of it mixed in with Michael Bay Turtles was a very bizarre mishmash that just didn't work. The vast majority of the jokes were groan worthy, totally unclever. The turtles disagreements and dilemmas were, again, poorly fleshed out, Megan Fox gave a worse performance than in the first film and Stephen Amell was horribly miscast and sattled with a truly terrible version of Casey Jones that completely misses why the character is appealing.

I'm not some huge fan of the 1990 film but Casey and April were ten times more interesting and lively in that film and that was thanks to the actors. Tyler Perry was obnoxious, Shedder was bland, he did absolutely nothing and Brad Garrett should not have been voicing Krang. And let me not forget to mention that the plot is completely bland and by the numbers and nothing in the film makes up for that. So many bad choices were made. So many. I still maintain that I feel bad for people who enjoyed it but I will not miss this version of the turtles universe. They can't reboot fast enough.

Has anybody watched the show recently because it doesn't hold up from what I can gather.
Honestly, the majority of 80s cartoons don't hold up at all.
I hate that this show has bad human designs, arched down buildings at certain points, ninja that don't act like ninja.

Shedder was bland, he did absolutely nothing
I guess you can call him a footnote. :oldrazz:

I feel bad for people who enjoyed it but I will not miss this version of the turtles universe.
You don't have to, most of us recognize how bad it is, and probably don't mind the cancellation of this series.
Michael Bay doesn't need more ego boosting.

Just watched this again, my brother hadn't seen it yet and he absolutely loved it, he couldn't believe it when I told him it flopped and was sad to hear there won't be a 3rd movie as he enjoyed it that much. I was obsessed with the Turtles as a kid, my 2 older brothers ended up watching and loving the cartoon as well and my brother said this reminded him of the cartoon and he loved it. It's a big reason I loved it as well. But I also think it improved on every aspect of the first movie. Better action, better CGI, the Turtles were more rounded as characters this time and had the focus on them. As a Leo fan I was much more satisfied with his role here as well, as he seemed to get the least focus in the first movie. I even think the score was an improvement and I liked the one from the first movie. But the sequels score improved even on that.

I loved seeing Krang and the technodrome and of course Bebop and Rocksteady. It's a real shame as it seemed those things were going to be in the 3rd movie even more.

At the same time though, maybe that's why this failed. It catered to fans of the old 80's cartoon a lot and maybe we are the only ones who went to see it. Newer fans were perhaps turned off by that, which again is a damn shame. But I suppose it's a lesson learned for the inevitable reboot down the line. Which I hope comes sooner rather than later.

It's unfortunate that it really did improve upon the first movie and I really did enjoy it, but it loses the magic when they come "out of the shadows". They are ninjas, they gotta keep that kick ash and disappear element.

Just like the first Transformers movie, the magic is there until they come out at the end for city battle.

I hope for the next reboot, we get Leo's inner-monologue about strategy, precision and stealth. (Ala Mirage comics)

It's unfortunate that it really did improve upon the first movie and I really did enjoy it, but it loses the magic when they come "out of the shadows". They are ninjas, they gotta keep that kick ash and disappear element.

Just like the first Transformers movie, the magic is there until they come out at the end for city battle.

I agree it improves on the first movie so much. If things had improved again for a possible threequel and beyond this could have turned into a decent franchise.

They didn't really come out of the shadows that much though in this movie. Even at the end it's only the police who know about them. And when the chief says they could come out more and live a normal life they turn it down in favour of the life they have. They were shielded from the public by the police as well so by and large they were still pretty unknown.

I can't agree about Transformers either as that final battle is still amazing. Just wish they hadn't killed off Jazz :csad:.

I hope for the next reboot, we get Leo's inner-monologue about strategy, precision and stealth. (Ala Mirage comics)

More Leo is always a good thing with me.

I agree it improves on the first movie so much. If things had improved again for a possible threequel and beyond this could have turned into a decent franchise.

They didn't really come out of the shadows that much though in this movie. Even at the end it's only the police who know about them. And when the chief says they could come out more and live a normal life they turn it down in favour of the life they have. They were shielded from the public by the police as well so by and large they were still pretty unknown.

I can't agree about Transformers either as that final battle is still amazing. Just wish they hadn't killed off Jazz :csad:.

More Leo is always a good thing with me.

I don't know maybe it's fighting in the city during daylight that kinda screws with the magic if you know what I mean. Even the first TMNT had a broad daylight city battle but it wasn't as crazy as the Krang battle.

Regarding Transformers, ofcourse it was amazing and I was pissed Jazz died, and I still love the movie (it did to me what Star Wars did to most geeks), it's just the magic is lost after the first movie.

You know what I'd like to see similar to the comics?
Baxter Stockman, not an employee of Shredder, and has nothing to do with that bloody nutjob.

Just watching this trailer for Attack The Block and cant help but imagine it as a TMNT film.

[YT]cD0gm7dHKKc[/YT]

Put this in 80s New York and I would be over the moon with.

Last edited:
I don't know maybe it's fighting in the city during daylight that kinda screws with the magic if you know what I mean. Even the first TMNT had a broad daylight city battle but it wasn't as crazy as the Krang battle.

Personally I love daylight battles in CBMs and feel there aren't enough of them. So that didn't bother me and I love the battles in question. But even disregarding that the magic usually disappears after the first movie anyway.

Regarding Transformers, ofcourse it was amazing and I was pissed Jazz died, and I still love the movie (it did to me what Star Wars did to most geeks), it's just the magic is lost after the first movie.

Well again, that's why few sequels better the original, the magic usually goes after the first movie no matter what.

Just watching this trailer for Attack The Block and cant help but imagine it as a TMNT film.

[YT]cD0gm7dHKKc[/YT]

Put this in 80s New York and I would be over the moon with.

Joe Cornish would be a great pick for the reboot.

]

Joe Cornish would be a great pick for the reboot.

Totally

I cant get this idea out of my head so I used some youtube mash up site to see it visualized

Im really into this idea that I was suggesting before about my imagined TMNT film being set in the early 80s and featuring lots of 80s punk and hip hop and I obviously think the Attack The Block trailer makes for a great imaginery TMNT trailer.

So anyway I merged a Ramones song with the preview which I think works pretty well. I cant seem to get it to show up merged so you will just need to play both videos at the same time.

[YT]cD0gm7dHKKc[/YT] [YT]dnzzMZWsx9w[/YT]

You know what I'd like to see similar to the comics?
Baxter Stockman, not an employee of Shredder, and has nothing to do with that bloody nutjob.

Agreed. But don't turn him into human fly. Didn't like that idea. Like him better as crazy scientist.

I fail to see how this improves upon the first movie. I thought it was much worse, and that they focused too much on pandering to the fans of the 1980s cartoons, instead of trying to tell a story feat. the Turtles. If there had been a plotline about April's friend being turned into a giant it wouldn't have been out of place. For anyone complaining about Shredder in the first one - are you happy now? He felt like he sprung out of a bad cartoon and was completely wasted - same with Casey Jones: who the bad place thought it was a good idea to write him as an idiot? And don't get me started on Bebop and Rocksteady and Baxter Stockman, who were unbearable. This movie was so tone-deaf and over the top that I got flashes of 'Batman & Robin' (which has a little more going for it) while watching it. After a middling but enjoyable first entry they could've really tried to improve upon it, by having a stronger script. Instead they came up with - THIS. If the first one was juvenile, this one was completely childish. Ugh. What a waste of film/digital space. The CGI was good, though.
4/10

Steve Barron's 1990 pic still remains the perfect TMNT movie (and one of the best and most underrated comic book adaptations ever!).

Last edited:
so question is, where do we go from here? will there even be a demand, in say 2018 for a new TMNT movie?

I said this before and i will still say it again, they need to make an R rated movie, or there abouts - with real ninja's - preferable smaller in stature or teenagers, in suits. The tech has come a long way and a little bit of cgi can do wonders. Have a character driven movie, this isn't aimed at kids. Can almost be like a B movie in some respects but with decent suits. 40 mil is enough. If Deadpool can make profit, so can this.

Anyone has any idea about why the second movie didn't meet expectations. It was just as fun as the Transformers films which bring in a billion dollars. I am genuinely curious to know what they can do to make a TMNT movie that succeeds. Honestly I am not the biggest TMNT fan, but I grew up watching the animated shows and 1 or 2 movies and the last animated film with Sir Patrick Stewart which I really enjoy. The recent movies more or less captures the essence of what I remember. So what actually went wrong? Is it because of the Turtles hulking design? The story was never the best from previous iterations from what I remember so that can't be that.

Anyone has any idea about why the second movie didn't meet expectations. It was just as fun as the Transformers films which bring in a billion dollars. I am genuinely curious to know what they can do to make a TMNT movie that succeeds. Honestly I am not the biggest TMNT fan, but I grew up watching the animated shows and 1 or 2 movies and the last animated film with Sir Patrick Stewart which I really enjoy. The recent movies more or less captures the essence of what I remember. So what actually went wrong? Is it because of the Turtles hulking design? The story was never the best from previous iterations from what I remember so that can't be that.
I haven't seen it, but a major problem for the second was how people received the first. They were burned and didn't show up a second time.

As to the problem with the movies, I'd compare it to the new tv show. Which is fun and genuine, and explores the idea of the Turtles as goofy, growing teens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"