TENET

Nolan is a master at wrapping up his films, but Dunkirk's ending is his best IMO.

I'll never quite get people calling him cold. I literally hit play on that on my phone while folding laundry and I now have goosebumps head to toe. Jesus. :funny:

I get his movies are intense and sometimes a lot to process on first viewing, but there's always such a cathartic release at the end.

Interstellar is still an absolutely incredible and powerful film to me. It never ceases to bring tears to my eyes

It's his most emotionally resonant and heartfelt film IMO. Say what you will about the ending or the story, but no movie has ever hit me harder than the ending of that movie did when I saw it for the first time.

Exactly my feelings. As a WWII buff, I am familiar with the Dunkirk evacuation and between that and being a Nolan fan, I was excited to see it being given central focus in a big Hollywood movie given it hasn't gotten much attention besides being briefly touched on in Atonement, but like you said, I left the theater feeling nothing.

I didn't feel that way about Fury Road though. For me, Furiosa and Max are more substantive protagonists than anyone in Dunkirk.

Me neither. Fury Road ain't perfect, but everything from the world building to the visuals and the pacing is all nothing short of excellent IMO. Furiosa also got a lot of great character development in that movie even more so than Mad Max himself which is pretty much my biggest qualm with the movie honestly.

I'm genuinely shocked that American audiences took to Dunkirk so well. I would've bet most of US moviegoers would've walked out shrugging their shoulders but it did very well at the BO. lol

That's the power of Nolan my friend on top of the great marketing campaign. I don't believe hard to sell films like Inception, Interstellar or Dunkirk would have done nearly as well if his name wasn't attached or if he didn't already have so much goodwill built up with general audiences after his Batman films.

I really wish I could go with y’all on Dunkirk but man i left that theater feeling absolutely nothing. Im thinking part of it is because im an American and had no familiarity with the battle of Dunkirk whatsoever but as a film there was nothing to sink my teeth into, especially no characters to ground me into the film. But admittedly i think the unconventional storytelling method Nolan used was probably what jarred me and it may be one of those kind of movies i need to watch two more times to “get.”

Tbh, though, I had a similar issue with Fury Road. I’m the type of person that needs characters and character arcs to anchor me into the story.
Well, for Fury Road, I think you weren’t in the right head space. You don’t walk into a comedy searching for character arcs etc. You’re there for laughs. Fury Road is about the energy, adrenaline. There’s humour in it too (and you’ll catch more emotional moments on second viewing) but it’s more about the crazy ride. Like a rollercoaster.

Tarantino said he marveled at Dunkirk the first time but that was it. It was only on second and third viewing that he caught the emotion in it, and now sees Dunkirk as an incredibly emotional movie. So I would suggest seeing it again when you have time. I had a similar experience the last time i watched it. I mean, I saw it in IMAX and I literally agreed with my friend. We looked at each other and said “that was fantastic but I don’t need to see it ever again”. I’ve seen it 3 times now.

Well, for Fury Road, I think you weren’t in the right head space. You don’t walk into a comedy searching for character arcs etc. You’re there for laughs. Fury Road is about the energy, adrenaline. There’s humour in it too (and you’ll catch more emotional moments on second viewing) but it’s more about the crazy ride. Like a rollercoaster.

Tarantino said he marveled at Dunkirk the first time but that was it. It was only on second and third viewing that he caught the emotion in it, and now sees Dunkirk as an incredibly emotional movie. So I would suggest seeing it again when you have time. I had a similar experience the last time i watched it. I mean, I saw it in IMAX and I literally agreed with my friend. We looked at each other and said “that was fantastic but I don’t need to see it ever again”. I’ve seen it 3 times now.

That's fair and I'm now motivated to watch it again this week and give it another shot to see if it lands with me this time. But just to further clarify what I meant by character arcs, I just mean give me a character thats my...avatar so to speak throughout the story. I like Fury Road but on the first watch I remember I struggled because Max is such a hard protagonist to like and there really is no arc for him in the movie (nor the other Mad Max movies for that movie).

Like, I'm a big fan of kung fu/martial arts movies, I watch those for the incredibly choreographed action and fight scenes but I still at least need some kind of basic story or character motivation so that I'm rooting for the guy whose doing all the ass kicking, know what I mean? It doesnt have to be a super deep character arc or story but just give me something so I'm emotionally invested in going from point A to point B. That's where I chaffed with Dunkirk because its not about characters, its about a specific event and Nolan assumes your natural empathy to characters onscreen without delving into who they are.

Exactly my feelings. As a WWII buff, I am familiar with the Dunkirk evacuation and between that and being a Nolan fan, I was excited to see it being given central focus in a big Hollywood movie given it hasn't gotten much attention besides being briefly touched on in Atonement, but like you said, I left the theater feeling nothing.

I didn't feel that way about Fury Road though. For me, Furiosa and Max are more substantive protagonists than anyone in Dunkirk.
Dunkirk is the only Nolan film that made me cry.

Hardy’s Max is likeable. By the end he’s less selfish. He definitely grows, but i feel like it’s Furiosa’s movie. She’s a great character imo.

Agreed on both counts. Exhibit A, the fact that when Furiosa asks his name earlier, she gets this curt “does it matter?”, versus the end where he’s desperately trying to save her and gives her a blood transfusion and he tells her his name, like not only does he want her to know his name, but he’s also rediscovered his own self.

I don't like Hardy's Max, especially the fact that he couldn't find an accent and just pick one. Furiosa made that movie for me.

I know Hardy is like a tortured artist and was likely a handful during this production, but Miller really should've advised him to tamp that down or just settle on one.

I loved both Dunkirk and Fury Road. And while I think both had characters I could empathize with, I think what they have in common is that they are both very much about the visceral audience experience - that is, they don't give the audience an obvious "avatar" because YOU are it - they want to put you in it. To feel like you're the one there. That's what they're going for, imo, which is why I think both were best enjoyed on the biggest IMAX screen with the best sound possible, because they are truly immersive film experiences. They are rides, as much as they are movies. I enjoy them both at home as well, but it's not the same. So I'll go see them again anytime they're re-released in (IMAX) theaters, because for me, it doesn't get better than that.

Furiosa's an awesome, iconic character, though. Fury Road was indeed her film, not Max's.

I don't like Hardy's Max, especially the fact that he couldn't find an accent and just pick one. Furiosa made that movie for me.

I know Hardy is like a tortured artist and was likely a handful during this production, but Miller really should've advised him to tamp that down or just settle on one.
Not really sure what you’re talking about here. First time I’ve heard that complaint about his accent.

His accent does travel around. A lot of the time he does this deep, gruff voice which is occasionally a little over-the-top, then occasionally it slips into Hardy's natural voice which is a lot softer than the "hard-ass" voice he's putting on. Also his accent in Fury Road sometimes is British, sometimes is weirdly American, sometimes is some hybrid.

Also I always get distracted when she offers him one of their bikes and he says "I'll go my own way", because for that one line, his cadence and everything sounds exactly like his Lawless character.

And in general I'm a big fan of Hardy, but he does have tendencies to get overly affected and lay everything on too thick, especially with his voices/accents. Like the weird New Yawky accent he does in Venom.

Last edited:
Hoyte is severely underrated.

His accent does travel around. A lot of the time he does this deep, gruff voice which is occasionally a little over-the-top, then occasionally it slips into Hardy's natural voice which is a lot softer than the "hard-ass" voice he's putting on. Also his accent in Fury Road sometimes is British, sometimes is weirdly American, sometimes is some hybrid.

Also I always get distracted when she offers him one of their bikes and he says "I'll go my own way", because for that one line, his cadence and everything sounds exactly like his Lawless character.

And in general I'm a big fan of Hardy, but he does have tendencies to get overly affected and lay everything on too thick, especially with his voices/accents. Like the weird New Yawky accent he does in Venom.
Ehh I’ve never noticed that in Fury Road. Especially not the British accent. Either way, it seems like it’s supposed to be an area where it doesn’t matter where you were originally from. Everything is now a hybrid. And Max is supposed to be a dude who hasn’t spoken in years. So it would actually make sense that his voice would be uneven. Although it all sounded smooth to me.

The craziest thing about Fury Road to me is the fact that something so audacious, energetic and "metal"...was made by a guy in his 70s. May we all be on whatever trip George Miller was on when we're that up there in age. :oldrazz:

How ‘Hereditary’ and Noah Baumbach Editor Jennifer Lame Got Over Her ‘Tenet’ Intimidation

Christopher Nolan’s “Tenet” boasts an impressive roster of behind-the-scenes talent, from cinematographer Hoyte van Hoytema to Oscar-winning “Black Panther” composer Ludwig Göransson, but the most exciting addition might just be editor Jennifer Lame. After making a name for herself as Noah Baumbach’s go-to editor (see “Frances Ha,” “While We’re Young,” “Mistress America,” “The Meyerowitz Stories,” and “Marriage Story”), Lame broke out further with her work on Kenneth Lonergan’s Oscar winner “Manchester by the Sea” and Ari Aster’s new horror classic “Hereditary.” With “Tenet,” Lame makes the jump to her first studio tentpole.

“For me, hiring is about looking at the work people have done in the past, but not necessarily in relation to what you’re looking to do,” Nolan recently told ICG Magazine about teaming with Lame for the first time. “I look for excellence and judgment. When meeting, it’s more about discovering if there’s a common creative language, which is exactly what turned out to be the case.”

Nolan continued, “Working for the first time with editor Jen Lame was a real pleasure. I joked with her when she first came on that this might be the hardest movie any editor has ever had to cut — and I’m not sure she would dispute that right now [laughs]. Working out all the aspects of portraying time running in different directions meant going beyond what was down on the page, as the execution lay with a successful translation of the visual.”

Lame told ICG Magazine she was attracted to “Tenet” because of the “film aspect.” The editor has a BAFTA Film Award nomination under her belt thanks to “Manchester by the Sea,” but nothing could prepare Lame for having to edit Nolan’s massive action set pieces. The editor was naturally more attracted to the quieter “Tenet” moments given her history of editing character-specific indie dramas, but Nolan proved helpful in giving her the confidence she needed to tackle the action beats.

“The films I have worked on up until this have been more character-driven, so I enjoyed getting more intimate scenes to cut,” Lame said. “I found myself spending more time on the quieter moments and perhaps slightly intimidated by the action. To get over that, I began to think of action as also driving the story forward, explaining, and fleshing out the character’s journey. When Chris saw I was intimidated by the action sequences, he reiterated this point; the story was always the driving force.”

Ludwig Göransson On ‘The Mandalorian’ And ‘Tenet’ Challenges – Deadline

Certainly, the composer has had a once-in-a-lifetime experience with Tenet, in more ways than one. Not many composers can say they’ve completed a score in the midst of a pandemic—but then again, who would want to? “It’s definitely been interesting to see how it all develops, and out of everything I’ve worked on, this is definitely an experience that you need to have in the theater. It seems like they’re opening up the theaters internationally first, and I think people need something like this right now. They need to watch something and experience something, to also be able to kind of get away for a little bit,” Göransson says, “and every time I’ve seen this movie, it just blows me away. There’s so many levels to it, and so much to take in. I can’t wait to see how people react to it.”

Starring Robert Pattinson and John David Washington, the film is now set to open overseasin August ahead of its U.S. debut. For Göransson, the takeaway from working with one of the great masters of cinema was to see for himself how much Nolan understands about music. “I know from watching his films how savvy he is with music, how much he understands it, but I didn’t fully know that he could speak about it almost like a trained musician. So, I was blown away by that. And also, just the way that he’s open with experimentation, and pushes me to really try out new things, and things that I maybe would think that people want to hold off on,” he says. “This was like, ‘Let’s try it and see how it works,’ and it was an eye-opening experience.”

I don't need to see anymore footage from this movie to be honest, so I'm good on any new trailers or tv spots. Just let it come out already damn it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"