TENET

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by James.B, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Mjolnir Reborn Blunt Instrument

The last time would probably be Fast & Furious. Oddly enough I'm unsure if I've ever seen a whole film in that franchise.

2. OutOfBoose #ReleaseTheAyerCut

Why did they put this generic drama&hi-stakes music into the trailer? It doesn't support the original idea of the movie whatsoever. It feels like something suspenseful would fit better. Supermarine or something like that.

3. Mach2Infinity You Are Soul

I find Chris Nolan quite an emotionally cool director except for Batman Begins but his films are always impressive and thought provoking. I'm also looking forward to seeing John David Washington as he looks to be just as good as his dad and makes for a compelling and charismatic lead. I think the use of a palindrome to convey time going backwards is very clever and typically Nolan. It's funny as well he's actually making a film about time after using it as a backdrop in many of his films.

TheVileOne likes this.
  4. Vaibow Registered

It's not in this present case, but with each movie he pushes the limits and I feel, like I said, he is in danger of one day going too far.

When I saw the trailer for this I legit thought, what??? oh typical Nolan doing that he wants. Inception, Interstellar, now this... may well be good movies, but you stick some new, international directors name and it's a flop in the states, sadly. so to conclude, where does he go next, if he follows this trend of stretching the limits and one day, it will snap.

5. Hunter Rider Ronin

It definitely looks like the sequel to Inception, I wonder if there might be some easter eggs in the movie that at least link it to the same universe. It certainly looks like a very high concept film that's at least trying to do something original with the action/sci-fi espionage genre..

Closerframe and KaijuDude1992 like this.
  6. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

"Know your limits, mastah Nolan..." :oldrazz:

But seriously, my feeling is that 20 years into his career, it's become pretty clear that he's gotten to where he is because he's very good at taking the audience along for the ride with him and that enough of the audience likes being challenged. He's built a trust there-- and part of that is yes, he will present challenging and mind-bending ideas, but only because he has figured out a way to make it accessible and cinematic. Let's not forget his whole career started with a movie that was told backwards, yet still had a clear emotional through-line.

The thing to keep in mind is that while Nolan keeps pushing things a bit with each film, we as an audience also become more sophisticated, more hungry for something new, and more ready for whatever that next step may be. Especially in a world where there just aren't as many original blockbuster films being made as there used to be, and he's looked to as the guy who can deliver on that- both by WB, and the audience.

Example-- if Inception was made in 1998 instead of 2010, I don't think it does nearly as well. But because we had collectively digested things like The Matrix and had a familiarity with physics-defying action taking place in a realm of the mind, along with the tropes of the heist genre-- it had that feeling of being something fresh, but familiar. So I think as long as he continues to use cinematic language to ground his ideas and doesn't go totally abstract, his movies are going to retain some level of mass appeal.

7. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

I really don't think this is shared with Inception. I think we've gotten so used to cinematic universes that when something comes along that tangentially looks like another movie we just assume.

It's a Chris Nolan movie. The heist film and spy film share some commanlities in feel and tone so when you add the Chris Nolan aesthetic there are bound to be similarities.

#1982 Doctor Jones, May 27, 2020
    Last edited: May 27, 2020
  8. James.B In search of the absurd

9. Vaibow Registered

Paprika...

David Bowie once said something that I feel works with Nolan, I can't remember the whole quote but it went along the lines of - being able to see what is popular and good and tweaking it to your style without them realizing, is the key. From Heat, to 2001 a space oddessey to Paprika, Nolan has done this and hey, who doesn't?

BatLobster likes this.
  10. Gothamsknight Registered

Yup, all of this.

11. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Oh yeah, I mean I think that's what the best mainstream "pop art" does. I always say it's about being able to internalize all your influences and produce something new out of them. Everything's a rip-off to some extent, but I think certain things feel more original than others based on how well they can do this.

12. BaelaTargaryen Registered

13. Stringer CHAMPS AGAIN!

Some very interesting and enlightening possibilities in this breakdown.

14. James.B In search of the absurd

John David Washington on How He’s Not Just Denzel’s Son, His NFL Career, and New Movie ‘Tenet’

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1989 James.B, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 28, 2020
  15. Detective Conan Registered

Nolan watched Ballers? Wow. Not the biggest takeaway one should get from this article but I find that kind of interesting.

16. TheVileOne Registered

Ballers is a popular HBO series. Not sure what Nolan routinely binges at home, but it wouldn't surprise me if he checks stuff out.

KaijuDude1992 likes this.
  17. Le Master Registered

Isn’t the secrecy behind this film (e.g., vague plot details, no character names, etc) because it’s a DC film based on Clock King and his time manipulation device? Washington is Green Arrow. Even the old verbal working title mentioned earlier in this thread “Tempus Fugit” is a variation of Clock King’s real name (Temple Fugate).

18. SkullDevil The White Portuguese

19. Gothamsknight Registered

uhhhh

TheVileOne likes this.
  20. rashad Hype Board Junkie

21. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

If theaters open and take proper precautions I think I might go and see this. It just looks worth the trouble. I wouldn't say it for any other movie this year but that third trailer sold me so much I want to see this in IMAX.

22. Gothamsknight Registered

There's no way I'm missing this in the theater.

KaijuDude1992 and TheVileOne like this.
  23. TheVileOne Registered

Whenever this film comes out, I will do everything possible to see this film in theaters in the best format possible.

24. BatLobster Trailer Timewarper

Regal just announced they're re-opening in July. It's starting to feel like this might actually happen.

I'm curious about the economics of it. I don't think there's a way theaters are going to allow full capacity, and there's still going to be a portion of people who just won't want to come out and I wonder how much that will impact the box office. But maybe WB has factored that all in and is OK with the movie making less, and just sees it as an important opportunity to get the engine running again.

If it opens, I'm not going to miss it. I've made more than a few trips to the supermarket during the pandemic that took 2 hours because it was mobbed. Sitting in a socially-distanced movie theater would likely be a lot safer than that. The only issue for me is that my go-to IMAX is the NYC Lincoln Square one (I live in NJ) and I can't imagine going into the city and walking into a movie theater there. That is where I may have to draw the line. I hope they'll do an IMAX re-release of this post-pandemic.

25. Joined:
    Mar 6, 2015
    All I know is that I will be wearing a mask and gloves and watching this opening day.