TENET

Nolan is a moneymaker for WB and I suspect they're concerned with the situation damaging their relationship with him.
Even if the film is released in August or September or whenever it is, WB's relationship With Nolan HAS been damaged.
I doubt Nolan will forget this.

Movie theaters have been open for over a month here so if it was up to me and my selfish desires the movie would come out as scheduled.

I caught the prologue last week and that really got me pumped.

If this and other blockbuster movies have to be delayed till late 2021, there won't be any theatres in business at that point, and you might as well release it on VOD now. At this point saving the "theatrical experience" seems like a fools errand, only hope being a miracle vaccine being discovered and shipped within 6-8 months.
Call me crazy, but there is no way in bad place that Nolan would ever allow it to go to VOD.

I don't know if it's that simple at this point. What is going to fundamentally change until we have a vaccine that we're able to mass distribute? Even then, there are still a lot of unknowns about the effectiveness of a vaccine. Especially in the States, we do not have this thing under control and it's going to be Fall/flu season before we know it.

IMO, this movie will not come out this year. We could be looking at late 2021 or even 2022. But by then, theaters may be out of business. That's the aspect that is getting overlooked by a lot of people. It's a real catastrophe.

Nolan is probably guilty of being overly optimistic about how soon it was going to be to safely re-open, and it's understandable and unsurprising that he was taking that stance given that you could argue his life's work in a way has been based around fighting for the continued viability of the traditional, theatrical film model and older ways of making and distributing movies in general. There was a period where it look like we had flattened the curve, before the recent spikes. But today's article is still reporting on conversations that happened months ago. It's a rapidly evolving situation, but ultimately his opinion isn't that important. As I've been saying over and over again, the studio is responsible to make the decision here.

Rather than everyone constantly trying to dunk on Nolan, it would be much more productive to start having real, hard conversations about what the future of the industry is after this, at least in the film loving community. The impacts are going to be far beyond this one film. I think it's highly questionable at the moment whether we see anything major release in theaters next year, too. Sorry, The Batman.

This about sums it up.

I really don't think Nolan is trying to jeopardize anyone's health. I think he was hopeful based on how some countries dealt with the pandemic that things would become safe enough this summer for Tenet to release. Unfortunately the U.S. and some other major countries totally failed to do what needed to be done and now everyone is going to suffer as a result--from the most important, people getting sick or dying, to things like businesses going under, sports getting cancelled, and quite possibly the end of the theatrical era for major film distribution.

Nothing new here, just regurgitating the same info we've seen before.

Doing longer staggered releases worked better in the olden days before internet, texting, and Twitter. Not to mention the piracy.
Piracy happens regardless. It shouldnt even be a priority for studios at the best of times. Least of all during a pandemic. Same with spoilers. Yeah some people hate them, some people hate them to a neurotic degree, but we can live with them if we have to. Besides people rewatch films all the time knowing exactly what happens in a film.

I admit, studios have taken their anti-spoiler tactics to some pretty absurd lengths the past 10 years so I get some shadenfruede watching all this play out.

Even if the film is released in August or September or whenever it is, WB's relationship With Nolan HAS been damaged.

Forget what? That a deadly pandemic materialized in the release year of his upcoming movie that WB had absoultely no control over?

That movie theatres were forced to close in order to minimise transmission and save lives?

Nolan has no right to be angry at WB for anything. This movie could have been set up at any studio and he would be in the exact same boat.

2 Production Photo

154419434_mgr-00881-msg.jpg

154419440_mgr-02955-msg.jpg

I admit I hate this whole scenario because hitting the newest movies is something me and my dad used to do and with him recently passing the opportunity is forking lost, but I understand the risks involved all around in opening too soon.

That'd be pretty petty on Nolan's part to let this damage their relationship.

Was laughing every time Tenet was being promoted during the UFC 251 broadcast. August 12 is a pipe dream and WB is just wasting its marketing funds

These little piecemeal moves aren’t gonna cut it anymore. We’re not even close to being through with this shirt. My thinking has been maybe November, but who the bad place knows? Safest to say just 2021.

Right now, my eyes are on November but who knows at this point.

I mean ffs, our dumb little country here can’t even reach a consensus on MASKS! Does ANYBODY really think it’s safe to be in a movie theater right now??

I was in Buffalo over the weekend and I saw a house full of people partying not wearing masks. And this is New York state where the situation has stabilized. If it's gotten this bad now, and with fall coming up combined with the flu, barring a vaccine before the end of the year which seems unlikely, nothing will change.

If there was a national lockdown in March for a month, we'd probably be getting Tenet this month.

I'm starting to think now that even the films that pushed back to the end of this year might have to be delayed to next year. This year has been a wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"