Tessa Thompson wants an all female superhero movie

See, now this feels like a legitimate concern. I like the idea of the movie, but it’s difficult for me to conceive of a situation that would specifically bring these very different women together from all over the globe (and galaxy) to fight that a threat that wouldn’t be considered an Avengers-level catastrophe. But perhaps it’ll be easier to imagine post-A4.

If Thor, Vision, Hawkeye, Cap, Hulk, War Machine and Tony are retired/dead by next summer that allows for the Liberators to step in for a big crisis in 2021.

The other male heroes can be occupied with their own individual things - just like previous MCU films.

Black Panther (in Wakanda or at UN summit), Doctor Strange (off in another reality), Spider-Man (high school drama) and Ant-Man (very sick, makes a cameo).

Have the Black Widow solo film bring in Wasp and Scarlett for cameos then follow that up with Liberators.

Black Widow, Scarlett Witch, Wasp and Captain Marvel will likely be Avengers and Valkyrie steps in as the wild card. I think it would be great for different pairings and could be the film that kills off Black Widow at the end. It all depends what the MCU series arc is post Avengers 4 - a Liberators film could be heavily involved with it or makes a small reference to it.

If Thor, Vision, Hawkeye, Cap, Hulk, War Machine and Tony are retired/dead by next summer that allows for the Liberators to step in for a big crisis in 2021.

The other male heroes can be occupied with their own individual things - just like previous MCU films.

Black Panther (in Wakanda or at UN summit), Doctor Strange (off in another reality), Spider-Man (high school drama) and Ant-Man (very sick, makes a cameo).

Have the Black Widow solo film bring in Wasp and Scarlett for cameos then follow that up with Liberators.

Black Widow, Scarlett Witch, Wasp and Captain Marvel will likely be Avengers and Valkyrie steps in as the wild card. I think it would be great for different pairings and could be the film that kills off Black Widow at the end. It all depends what the MCU series arc is post Avengers 4 - a Liberators film could be heavily involved with it or makes a small reference to it.

Preach.

You don't even need that kind of setup. It can literally be something like characters A, B, C, D, etc. are around and that none of them are male. Situation W happens. Heroines deal with threat/adventure/whatever.

So long as the right movie is made with the right story, nobody will reasonably care that the heroes are all female.

If Feige's crew can put such a film together, I'd watch it. Then again, I'll see practically anything his crew will put out.

You don't even need that kind of setup. It can literally be something like characters A, B, C, D, etc. are around and that none of them are male. Situation W happens. Heroines deal with threat/adventure/whatever.

Yeah it always makes me think of this moment from Young Justice.

[YT]bLWQ7-riubM[/YT]

Preach? this seems like a legitimate setup to you 2? Imo That is as eye roll worthy as having 8 established war machine type characters not available for avengers 1 when it's bad enough we had one

EDIT: what i meant by that is "Sidelining Avengers in this way is as eye roll worthy as having 8 established war machine type characters not available/not show up/conveniently absent for avengers 1 when it's bad enough we had one such character not show up

Last edited:
Preach? this seems like a legitimate setup to you 2? Imo That is as eye roll worthy as having 8 established war machine type characters not available for avengers 1 when it's bad enough we had one

First of all i know when to drop a good "preach". Secondly, the entire topic is about legitimate ways to have an all female lineup. If the Avengers have to regroup because of devastating losses then thats the perfect time for an all female team to try and stop a threat that needs a team to handle.

How is the setup eye rolling anyway. Valkyrie is a god, Captain Marvel is a powerhouse, Widow is a spy, Scarlett Witch is freaking weird, add Shuri and you have your tech genius. This team can go toe to toe with any team.

It would be a awsome idea to have a all female cast Avengers film that has Spiderwoman, SheHulk, Wasp, Ms Marvel, SquirrelGirl, etc facing a dangerous female threat which could possibly be Moonstone which she could of already absorbed part of the gravity infinity stone and created by the Kree after Captain Marvel movie but going after Carol, this new Avengers helps her defeat Moonstone. I would like to see this as a new trilogy of films then at the end make another film with every marvel character that has been used like Infinity Stone and go from there then separated films.

The only problem imo is deciding to keep on the roster. Alot of good MCU super heroines

I think all female is overrated. It feels as pedantic as an all-male team does, and they don't last that long, in my observation.

A much better bet is the female centric team, give yourself one token male, maybe two if you count the guy in the chair. It gives the female-centric team the same dynamism available to the male-centric token female teams, while also keeping the freshness and progressiveness of the female-only team.

A diverse kind of homogeneousness isn't actually diversity, and even Black Panther had a token White guy, and that contrast was used well. Like that moment where Ross touches T'Challa and they look at him like he's lost his mind loses a lot of texture if he's not a "colonizer." Same with female acapella groups, same with an all female team like that recent X-Men run or A-Force. Runaways, in the comics, had four girls and two guys and it was dang-near perfectly fresh and balanced, imho.

Without that female-only mandate, then the whole scenario "plausibility" levels out a lot too.

For the roster? Widow, Wanda, Carol, Wasp and Valkyrie sounds golden. Throw in Ant-Man as the tagalong, with Shuri and Rhodey as the people in the chair, and get 'er done.

Personally I'd be okay with it, but I don't believe for a second that adding a male character would prevent those people (you know who I'm talking about) from complaining.

First of all i know when to drop a good "preach". Secondly, the entire topic is about legitimate ways to have an all female lineup. If the Avengers have to regroup because of devastating losses then thats the perfect time for an all female team to try and stop a threat that needs a team to handle.

How is the setup eye rolling anyway. Valkyrie is a god, Captain Marvel is a powerhouse, Widow is a spy, Scarlett Witch is freaking weird, add Shuri and you have your tech genius. This team can go toe to toe with any team.
it's not the power sets or quality of team members that is problematic its rationalizations required to arrive at the setup mentioned and I just don't see it as workable.

-I could see a small earth based team: Shurri and Nakia are doing outreach so them being outside wakanda makes sense. Shurri detects something maybe something that appears similar to vibranium experiments outside of wakanda so Nakia and her choose to investigates it. Widow investigates something or someone making big plays in Eastern Europe with exotic Tech bringing Wanda along and furthering her training in spy craft and these separate investigations cross paths perhaps this set of events ties into Doom's MCU origins???

-I could also see a small space based team: Gomora, Mantis, Valkyrie and Cap Marvel getting brought together to resolve seperate plot threads that merge into one Perhaps the remnants of Thanos' empire divide themselves into factions that are in a war of control and one or more factions serendipitously encounters and snatches up these Heroines who are perhaps on separate leisure trips (separated by MCU sub property) (or in a reversal of tropes perhaps the females investigate the kidnapping of a male ally)

I just don't see a not deal breakingly convoluted way to get earth based AND space based Heroines in the same movie on a team without their male allies who the know better than any woman in any other MCU sub-franchise

what i meant to say in my earlier post was "Sidelining Avengers in this way is as eye roll worthy as having 8 established War Machine type characters in the MCU not available/not show up/conveniently absent for Avengers 1 when it's bad enough we had one such character not show up"

I'm sorry for the confusion

How do the comics usually circumvent the odd coincidence of them teaming up?

I think all female is overrated. It feels as pedantic as an all-male team does, and they don't last that long, in my observation.

A much better bet is the female centric team, give yourself one token male, maybe two if you count the guy in the chair. It gives the female-centric team the same dynamism available to the male-centric token female teams, while also keeping the freshness and progressiveness of the female-only team.

A diverse kind of homogeneousness isn't actually diversity, and even Black Panther had a token White guy, and that contrast was used well. Like that moment where Ross touches T'Challa and they look at him like he's lost his mind loses a lot of texture if he's not a "colonizer." Same with female acapella groups, same with an all female team like that recent X-Men run or A-Force. Runaways, in the comics, had four girls and two guys and it was dang-near perfectly fresh and balanced, imho.

Without that female-only mandate, then the whole scenario "plausibility" levels out a lot too.

For the roster? Widow, Wanda, Carol, Wasp and Valkyrie sounds golden. Throw in Ant-Man as the tagalong, with Shuri and Rhodey as the people in the chair, and get 'er done.
I like this Idea but maybe sub out Antman and add in Falcon and put War Machine in the field for artillery/long rang support

Personally I'd be okay with it, but I don't believe for a second that adding a male character would prevent those people (you know who I'm talking about) from complaining.
Some may complain but when 1610 "Brand New Ultimates" debuted it had a female heavy roster with Miles and Cloak as the only males

The 616 Ultimates book also has a female Heavy Roster and only 2 males(T'Challa and Blue Marvel) IIRC maybe name such an MCU team the Ultimates

Last edited:
i think the non team ups during what should be major events stick out more since most characters are situated closely together

it's not the power sets or quality of team members that is problematic its rationalizations required to arrive at the setup mentioned and I just don't see it as workable.

-I could see a small earth based team: Shurri and Nakia are doing outreach so them being outside wakanda makes sense. Shurri detects something maybe something that appears similar to vibranium experiments outside of wakanda so Nakia and her choose to investigates it. Widow investigates something or someone making big plays in Eastern Europe with exotic Tech bringing Wanda along and furthering her training in spy craft and these separate investigations cross paths perhaps this set of events ties into Doom's MCU origins???

-I could also see a small space based team: Gomora, Mantis, Valkyrie and Cap Marvel getting brought together to resolve seperate plot threads that merge into one Perhaps the remnants of Thanos' empire divide themselves into factions that are in a war of control and one or more factions serendipitously encounters and snatches up these Heroines who are perhaps on separate leisure trips (separated by MCU sub property) (or in a reversal of tropes perhaps the females investigate the kidnapping of a male ally)

I just don't see a not deal breakingly convoluted way to get earth based AND space based Heroines in the same movie on a team without their male allies who the know better than any woman in any other MCU sub-franchise

what i meant to say in my earlier post was "Sidelining Avengers in this way is as eye roll worthy as having 8 established War Machine type characters in the MCU not available/not show up/conveniently absent for Avengers 1 when it's bad enough we had one such character not show up"

I'm sorry for the confusion

Gotcha, and that makes sense. I can get a little defensive when it comes to the underrepresented, my bad.

To be honest, I don't think continuity matters all that much in the comics. It's easy to create a ridiculous situation where an all woman team comes together.

Something like all the female heroes they want for an issue just happen to be taking vacations... in the same city... at the same time. No one takes it seriously sense its just a fun distraction.

People take the MCU far more serious however.

You're making some serious assumptions there, though. In the comics, Captain Marvel isn't exclusively spaced-based, she's Earth based but also goes on adventures in space. Valkyrie's probable whereabouts post IW are completely unknowable, now that Asgard is gone and Thanos is clearly attacking its people (my guess, personally, is that she may very well wind up joining the Guardians). And all of the guardians have a very obvious reason why they might wind up on earth at some point: Star Lord is human.

By setting the story in a chaotic alternate universe where there's an island populated only by superheroines, duh.

No seriously, that's what they did in the first A-Force series. lol

By being cartoons. Same way they circumvent having characters need to look the same from issue to issue.

I get it, but I don't think it's actually that complicated. You can literally do the ol' "Amora comes to Earth and insta-hypnotizes men" which brings space gals to Earth, and all but clears the field, and you can have lots of fun mind games and social situations and a strong subplot around it easy peasy. It sounds hokey, I know, but it honestly isn't more hokey than the premises for most superheroes or teams. You just play it straight, then play it for the jokes and make it a fun journey. You can even throw in a twist and people might call it 'special' and a 'revelation.'

Alternately there could be a part of the mission that requires/involves being all women as a cover that the recruiter of the team knows about. There are options, though for the latter, you need, like, a hook for the team, like, Avengers fights invasions, Guardians travel the galaxy, the Liberators/Champions sound like they look after little people, and so you have this smaller story, but perhaps one that proves to be incredibly important later in the broader continuity.

Or maybe not. Maybe it's Marvel's next step in 'growing' as a studio in terms of what it can do and say?

Good points. I think this could easily be achieved in an X-Men film too.

I think it's much easier to simply make a female-centric (as in, the key players and secondary characters are female) than an "all-female" (as in, every character is female) movie. You just have to find the right story, one that (either from the beginning or through it's development) sidelines male characters that could take the spotlight.

I kind of think of Civil War. There are five key players there: Steve (Protagonist), Tony (Deuteragonist), Bucky (Main Supporting Character), Zemo (Antagonist) and T'Challa (Tritagonist). Doesn't matter who's got more or less screentime, the story of Civil War depends on their actions and choices primarily, the events affect them on a personal level and if you were to remove one of these people the movie would look rather different (unlike if you removed, say, Spider-Man). They're all male and, in the climax, they're the only characters but because we've gotten there in a way that feels natural (and personal) for the characters and their stories throughout the rest of the movie, no-one really even notices.

Good points. I think this could easily be achieved in an X-Men film too.

See, I wish you hadn't said that, now I'll be disappointed in anything but a female-centric X-Men.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"