Texas High School Student Teacher Rant Goes Viral

I've seen peer-reviewed articles about cyber students and cheating; it seems higher for them than students that're actually in the classroom.

You're right Hobgoblin. I hated my high school American History. My teacher just read verbatim from the textbook, so he lost me quick. I think being able to go deeper than what's the in the texts can help spark kids' interest in the subject. For example, if I'd known a bit about Native American culture and how it clashed with the settlers' culture, or maybe the Americans' mindset vs the British mindset around the Revolutionary War, I'd have been more interested.

I think sometimes, regarding history classes, the teachers can be too reverential of the people being discussed. They focus on the hard facts, which is good, but it takes the humanity out of the subject. Historical figures were human and made human mistakes, which makes the subject much more interesting. Still, you dont want the class to become nothing but gossip either. It is a hard balance.

I think sometimes, regarding history classes, the teachers can be too reverential of the people being discussed. They focus on the hard facts, which is good, but it takes the humanity out of the subject. Historical figures were human and made human mistakes, which makes the subject much more interesting. Still, you dont want the class to become nothing but gossip either. It is a hard balance.

History is especially tricky because of the political aspect. A parent asks their child what they learned in school, and if it's something they disagree with politically, or think was misrepresented, they are likely to raise hell and complain that the teacher has a political bias and is trying to brainwash their kid.

I think a good way to avoid the brain washing allegation is spend an even amount of time and energy on the major historical events.

If the teacher spends half the quarter on what led the Boston Tea Party but avoids spending an entire chapter on the struggles of native Americans and black slaves then it will seem like right wing indoctrination.

There was even a blatant effort to remove slavery from text books completely in conservative districts.

So the best approach is a balanced and even approach for young students.

Last edited:
Howlett is a disgruntled teacher, methinks.

Welcome to the Hype.

Yeah, I do.

Did you ever bring an apple to your teacher, Phere?

Let's just say for the sake of argument this teacher is one of the bad ones. The video starts with the student standing by the door, on his way out. So he already did something disruptive enough to get the teacher to tell him to go to the office. He then proceeds to come back in and throw his little tantrum, disrupting the class even further and for longer. While what he's saying could possibly be true, that is absolutely the wrong way to go about it. So to me it comes off as less genuine and more an immature "Ill show you!" Rant.

So whether or not the teacher is a bad one, the student is clearly the instigator here. And again, it's not the teachers impossibly unrealistic job to entertain these kids and touch their hearts like in a Disney movie.

In other words: I can't hear you, I can't hear you the kid is wrong, the kid is wrong! Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah.

Yeah, I do.

Did you ever bring an apple to your teacher, Phere?

I'm not there to feed them, just like they're not there to apparently answer questions without them saying you're disturbing the class and tossing you out.

I seriously do wonder. If this was some kid that looked like a nerd, would Howlett be this inclined to blame the kid 100% for this?

That's the theme song of kids who don't want to learn. "Algebra...when will I ever use this?"

The funny thing is, I use algebra all the time now, and I don't even have a job that requires it.

I'm not there to feed them, just like they're not there to apparently answer questions without them saying you're disturbing the class and tossing you out.

I seriously do wonder. If this was some kid that looked like a nerd, would Howlett be this inclined to blame the kid 100% for this?
Yes, I'm sure she just tossed him out for asking a question.

This kid doesn't look like a nerd?

In other words: I can't hear you, I can't hear you the kid is wrong, the kid is wrong! Nah Nah Nah Nah Nah.
Way to address my point.

Even if the teacher is the worst one ever, the kid is still in the wrong, and there are far better ways to go about it.

So Howlett, you are saying kids should just sit down, shut up and read packets even if the teacher sucks beyond belief? Excuse him for actually thinking, and voicing his opinion about his education.

Oh, and I've seen WAAAAAAY "worse" thing happen in class room

So Howlett, you are saying kids should just sit down, shut up and read packets even if the teacher sucks beyond belief? Excuse him for actually thinking, and voicing his opinion about his education.

Oh, and I've seen WAAAAAAY "worse" thing happen in class room

No. If he genuinely felt this passionately about his education he should have voiced this opinion to the principle, his parents, the school board, or even congressmen.

Not on his way out of the classroom after being kicked out(for whatever he did to get kicked out, which I doubt was just asking a question) in front of an audience of students who aren't going to help him do anything about it.

I'm sure waaaaaaaay worse things happen in classrooms all the time, but that doesn't make this outburst ok.

Teachers are not always right.
Students are not always diplomatic/civil.

The teacher may not have been doing their job properly.
The student could have got his point across better by going to the principal or schoolboard.

I've gone the route of taking my education issues to the principal. While he tried to appear understanding of my position, he pretty much just gave me the lecture that it's that teacher's particular teaching style and just because I have a problem with it doesn't mean it's wrong. It got me absolutely nowhere but frustrated because I knew it was a terrible and lazy style.. and he was defending it. What did I expect? He's going to take the side of his employees over a youth who knows nothing of the world.

Could this kid have gone about it a different way? Sure. Would it have been effective? Probably not. I say this whole classroom scenario that went viral just worked out and brought attention to this problem front and center where it's belonged for decades. Glad it worked out this way. It's not just a Texas problem, but a problem everywhere.

But, but...you have to take it to the principal, Norman :o

I have also tried talking about these things with my parents and got the same results.

That kind of problem has been on the forefront in my country for about 7 years, and because of that students have gotten worse and less respectful of their teachers in a way where they basically let the worst students do whatever they want to in their corner as long as they don't disturb the class or the collegues.

And this isn't really the fault of the teacher who is trying to do the best they can, but the students who simply don't care and are just there forced by the law. I've seen students behavior completelly demotivating amazing teachers.

Back in middle school (here it goes from 5th to 9th grade) i even heard stories of parents beating teachers. It's now very common for the full blame to go to the teachers because it's their job, but it's also the students duty to actually try to learn. As i said before there's more pressure in the teacher right now than 30 years ago, yet the grades are worse now, it's obvious from that that the teachers don't deserve the blame.

As in any job there are bad teachers, but there are many more bad students that can make even the best of teachers look bad.

What a minute? That's the same Duncanville that's a big rival to my old high school. I should go there, become a teacher, inspire the kids, and then get fired because one day I tell them that all politicians can eat **** and die. This guy will be my sidekick.

Thanks, and you can thinks that all you want, but I'm not a teacher, thank God.

I'm offended by that. I'm a teacher and I really like it. It gives me a sense of reward and accomplishment I don't think I could get in a 9-5 desk job. Howlett you act like you're a great defender of teachers, but the more you speak the more it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm offended by that. I'm a teacher and I really like it. It gives me a sense of reward and accomplishment I don't think I could get in a 9-5 desk job. Howlett you act like you're a great defender of teachers, but the more you speak the more it sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about.

:up:

Because I'm glad I'm not a teacher and don't have to deal with the ridiculous things they have to, I don't know what I'm talking about?

Because I'm glad I'm not a teacher and don't have to deal with the ridiculous things they have to, I don't know what I'm talking about?

So you always take the teacher's side no matter what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"