That was a good first step (CW Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by Mike Murdock, May 6, 2016.

1. Mike Murdock Registered

There's another thread for discussing Spidey's role in Civil War, but I do want to add this thought. I thought Spider-Man was amazing in the movie and, based on crowd reactions, so did everyone else. It seemed they were digging it from beginning to end.

But, then, the words "Spider-Man will return" appeared on screen and the audience let out a groan. I heard one person say "Screw it, I'll probably still see it," but I definitely got a palpable sense that people are still sick of Spider-Man solo films. I wasn't sure I could believe it since his role in Civil War was so great, but I wonder, do you think that was enough to make things better or does Marvel still have their work cut out for them in the advertising campaign for his solo film?

2. MyDudeSpidey Marvel's

My theater went insane when those words came up.

3. Techno Bacon Just imagine an avvy.

My theater wouldn't shut the **** up whenever he told a joke, I barely got to hear his lines. -.-

4. Nicko-Ray Madness

That's the first time I've heard audiences complain about the "will return" tag.

5. AnneFan Hathaway #1

This was just a taste. The real buffet is coming. :hmr:

6. ironwez20 Registered

Thats very odd. Everyone loved spiderman in this movie and my crowd was dead until he appeared on screen.

7. ironman29758 Registered

This was a fantastic first step! He was very endearing in the small part he was in, but he definitely made an impact. The children and people in the audience loved him. His interactionson with everyone was enjoyable, him explainin where he gets everything in his room and made his gear was definitely fun. He was Spider-Man through and through!

8. BatsDC Side-Kicker

Nobody groaned when that came up

I'm in the UK, audiences never react really here, but they sounded excited at anything involving Spidey

Audiences aren't sick of Spider-Man movies; they're sick of bad ones

9. SpideyJJ Registered

My audience were buzzing when they saw that, a couple of guys even hoped Spidey would be announced as part of the cast for Infinity Wars soon

10. theinfernoman That guy

The words "Spider-Man will return" got the biggest applause out of the whole movie for my audience.

11. Mike Murdock Registered

I'm glad to hear a more positive reaction with everyone else. I heard someone sarcastically saying "next time they reboot it, he'll be in Middle School."

Maybe I just drew a bad crowd. The audience as a whole loved him in the movie itself. It's worth pointing out that it's also possible the casual fan loved him since, of course, half the people were gone by the time of the second post-credits scene.

12. Ctfxcwatcher Registered

Spider-Man got the best reaction at my theater. Everytime he appeared on screen there was this excitment in the room. I mean when freaking "Queens" appeared my theater went ape ****.

#12 Ctfxcwatcher, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  13. Ctfxcwatcher Registered

14. marcvader Lurker #1

Groan, really? I heard mostly positive chatter except for one lady complaining about "another and even younger" Peter to her husband as we walked out theater. I also heard her say Toby was her favorite.

15. W/ Great Power Uncle Ben

Agreed.

I think if we can get a critically acclaimed Spider-Man film, people will be 100% on board with him back onscreen.

His role in CW and the reaction it instilled in theaters everywhere (from what I'm hearing, including my own) is telling.

16. AnneFan Hathaway #1

People are always willing to give icons another chance. Deep down the character is loved by many.

17. Spidey_62 He stinks and I don't like him!

Both screenings I went to, almost everything Peter and Spidey said drew big laughs from the audience. The post-credits scene got some cheering the 1st screening I went to. I heard some people talking after saying that Spider-Man was perfect, young and joking, something like that.

18. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

most of the audience at my showing didn't even stay for the post-credits scenes

so, didn't really get any reaction one way or the other

19. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

It was quiet when that tag went up, but my audience definitely dug him -- Ant-Man got most of the love though, and for good reason.

20. BarryAllen ey b0ss

My theater crowd loved him.

That being said, I do think Marvel will have to be smart and fight hard showing why Spiderman Homecoming will be a)different from other Spidey movies and b)not an origin story. If they can do those two things, they're set.

21. AnneFan Hathaway #1

When the Queens tag went up, I thought 'now, the real game begins.'

22. The_Shadow Registered

Yeah that was a huge moment in the movie lol. My girlfriend was wondering why I got so giddy once QUEENS showed up.

23. Doctor Octopus Registered

My audience clap and cheer when Spider-Man first appear at airport. Best moment.

24. JOE _________________________

My entire crowd clapped for Peter Parker AND Spider-Man. It was beautiful.

25. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

The audience were completely silent when I saw CW. They were virtually non-existent.

In fact, they were non-existent. There was no-one else in the theatre.