World The 1975-79 Lynda Carter Wonder Woman TV series appreciation thread

Dark Raven

It's not about what you deserve...
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a thread to discuss this TV series. I thought we could talk about it: what worked, what didn't etc.

Lynda Carter was terrific casting. She had grace and poise and a very radiant, angelic smile just like Gal's version decades later. She as the perfect actress to portray her for the time.

Wonder-Woman-lynda-carter-34325714-2226-2852.jpg

entertainment-2016-03-lynda-carter-wonder-woman-main.jpg

Lynda-as-Wonder-Woman-264419.jpg

It also had a terrific theme tune and catapulted WW into iconic status.

[YT]nx2JdJhAL94[/YT]

It's hard even these days for people not to talk about WW without mentioning Lynda Carter and the theme tune.

Debra Winger played Wonder Girl. She definitely wasn't as graceful as Lynda. When she did her spin, she looked clumsy and awkward with her movements.

[YT]4vej3b3LFV8[/YT]

I loved the tv show and plan on doing a rewatch at some point.

Looking back at the show, I am surprised that they didn't seem to use any of WWs rogue gallery.

One thing that did recently come to mind that made me laugh is like Diana in the movie, in the tv series Diana also leaves Mans World behind after WWII and returns 30 years later.

But I do think they should've kept the skirt for a while instead of having her discard it as soon as she gets the outfit.
0e96ba2b1abb46ad904887ad9743887a.jpg

They did use Baroness von Gunther in the TV series.

There are some definite nods to it in the movie like Fausta Grables from whom Diana stole the blue dress.

And Lynda Carter wore a similar outfit:

C96vJ_1UMAAeYuC.jpg

Did they use the skirt through the whole of the pilot or just on the island?

I do love that they were similar outfits.

Was there ever an explanation given as to the constant change in Hippolytas?

And for those who don't know: Lynda is the one who came up with the Wonder spin.

I also need them to release the show on Blu-ray with some commentaries/special features.

Last edited:
I watched this first time around. Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman may just have been the first pin-up in my bedroom wall (quickly followed by Jaclyn Smith from Charlie's Angels). She was an absolute goddess and I watched the show religiously.

I didn't know that Hippolyta's actress kept changing. Did she appear in many episodes?

I think I watched this a few years ago again and it did drag in places. She also didn't appear as Wonder Woman for very much screen time in an episode but spent most of it as Diana Prince. I don't know why that should be, as it couldn't have been for budgetary reasons. Yes, she was doing feats of strength, but she could've just been walking around and just spending longer generally as WW than only a few minutes.

It was almost like the equivalent of how much the Hulk appeared in the 70s TV show per episode. But that was due to the budget.

I would love to see the spin return in the movies though. That has become iconic just like the Hulk TV show made the line "Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry" iconic.

She was played by 3 different actresses and appeared a handful of times.
tumblr_obx3eaoq3w1r3b4roo1_1280.jpg

I love the Wonder spin but it isn't something I think should be adapted for the movies. If anything I think an updated version should be created for Diana to transform, something like doing her classic gauntlet pose or something.

Fausta Grables from The Nazi Wonder Woman episode also appeared in the movie played by Rachel Pickup:

1024x1024.jpg

In the TV series she was played by Lynda Day George

Wonder-Woman-Easter-Egg-Fausta-Grables.jpg

WW had a skateboarding outfit:

[YT]5y_Gro8hRBE[/YT]

The skater clearly doesn't match up with Lynda Carter though. I think her skin colour is darker.

I would love it if we got a WW 77' animated movie like we got for Adam Wests Batman.

I would love it if we got a WW 77' animated movie like we got for Adam Wests Batman.

That would be cool, but Lynda Carter's voice sounds quite aged now. If you just listen to her now, she sounds rather like an old woman. I don't think that would be a good sound for WW who is meant to age very slowly if not immortal. I think they'd have to get someone else to impersonate her.

I think her voice is fine but she is also speaking naturally. Who knows how she would sound if she attempted to sound a bit younger.

Congrats to Lynda Carter who will be inducted into the Hollywood Walk of Fame next year.

But I do think they should've kept the skirt for a while instead of having her discard it as soon as she gets the outfit.

In the DVD commentary, Lynda is watching the first episode with the producer Douglas Cramer. When the skirt appears, Lynda says that she had forgotten about even having that skirt because once the network saw how the costume looked without it they didn't want her to wear it anymore!

Was there ever an explanation given as to the constant change in Hippolytas?

I also need them to release the show on Blu-ray with some commentaries/special features.

There wasn't a specific explanation but in the commentary Doug Cramer did say that they got the original Hippolyta Cloris Leachman because she was very popular at the time and an Oscar winner. They wanted to have that prestige for the first episode. But he also made a point about how expensive she was and how long the set ups with her took.

I would love to see these episodes on Blu-Ray. As said, there is a commentary on the DVDs, for the pilot episode. Lynda talks about her casting, how she prefers the modern day setting as opposed to the camp World War II setting, and how the crew applauded when she first walked on set as WW. She hadn't seen the pilot episode in a long time so was just reminded of a lot of things.

There's even a pretty cool special on it where they interview Lynda and others including Alex Ross, who really praises the casting of Lynda in the role.

I didn't know that Hippolyta's actress kept changing. Did she appear in many episodes?

The first Hippolyta Cloris Leachman only appeared in the pilot episode.

I remember the next Hippolyta was Carolyn Jones, Morticia from the Addams Family. She was also quite popular at the time. She appeared in a few episodes in the first season. Most notably in the Feminum Mystique. It was mainly in scenes with her daughter Drusilla, Wonder Girl played by Debra Winger, when she is sending her off to see Diana.

Then for the time period shift they got Beatrice Straight, who was in a couple of episodes.

I think I watched this a few years ago again and it did drag in places. She also didn't appear as Wonder Woman for very much screen time in an episode but spent most of it as Diana Prince. I don't know why that should be, as it couldn't have been for budgetary reasons. Yes, she was doing feats of strength, but she could've just been walking around and just spending longer generally as WW than only a few minutes.

It was almost like the equivalent of how much the Hulk appeared in the 70s TV show per episode. But that was due to the budget.

I noticed that too- she did spend a lot of time as Diana Prince and then WW would appear briefly to save the day!

Last edited:
Finally bought the complete series one DVD set yesterday (that series with its WWII setting was always my favourite - it felt more 'comic-booky' to me). I probably won't buy the others, but I'm loving seeing this again!

Doesn't the complete series have...the complete series?

I could see a new series on the CW within the DC universe of arrow, flash, Supergirl and legends called:

Wonder Woman which could star actress Katie McGrath that plays Lena Luthor on Supergirl. With the look, height, etc she can fight villains like Circe, Cheetah, Aries, etc.

I wouldn't really "appreciate" the series, as it is pretty awful most of time. But Lynda Carter is obviously a lot hotter and "godly" than Gal Gadot, that I admit. But overall, hardly comparable to Gal Gadot because the series and the new movie are very different.

A little something I did.

Last edited:
A little something I did.

Those are beautiful. Would love to see what you did with the Trinity of WW, Supes, and Adam West as Batman.

Carter's WW show was one of my favorites. I too had a poster of her on my wall back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"