Superman: The Movie The 1978-1987 Films Appreciation Thread

Mandon Knight

We did it......
Reaction score
From Donner's original to it's sad decline, the place to discuss the original set of films with Reeve, Kidder, Brando et al....

Well even it's sad decline I love haha, Superman IV has its issues but it's got some of the true best Superman moments in the series. Superman throwing stuff into the Sun is just ****ing cool, even if it does look a bit pants lol

Honestly though I love all the Christopher Reeve Superman movies, they all have genuinely amazing moments, even the so called bad ones.

I will go into greater depth on my love of Donner's original in time here but firstly, in addressing Quest for Peace, I would argue, ANY film would suffer if it's budget was cut so aggressively a week before production was due to begin, I doubt any film could survive regardless of any genre or intention.

I will go into greater depth on my love of Donner's original in time here but firstly, in addressing Quest for Peace, I would argue, ANY film would suffer if it's budget was cut so aggressively a week before production was due to begin, I doubt any film could survive regardless of any genre or intention.

Definitely, I think if the budget had been better I don't think the film would get the complaints it does. Even with the flaws in the story etc. Still it's a film I find easy to watch, I can forgive bad Fx and the pace is quick.

Also love to see the FULL version that is/was going round, in it's 2 plus hours running time before it was edited to it's 90 minute version. The deleted scenes in among the box set that was released a few years ago only touch on what was 'out there' and left behind.

Also love to see the FULL version that is/was going round, in it's 2 plus hours running time before it was edited to it's 90 minute version. The deleted scenes in among the box set that was released a few years ago only touch on what was 'out there' and left behind.

Yeah and I remember as a kid I saw an extended cut on TV with the tornado scene in. WBs should really get on that, they could release them like they did with the Superboy show on those no frills DVDs.

As much as the first & second are revered, the third does have some redeeming qualities but what runs through each is Reeve's performance and willing to make the world presented, believable.

As much as the first & second are revered, the third does have some redeeming qualities but what runs through each is Reeve's performance and willing to make the world presented, believable.

I love III, I think Chris Reeve gives his best performance of the series in that one and he sure as hell has fun as evil Superman. Take away the Gus Gorman stuff and the rest of it is pure gold. Evil Superman vs Clark is the standout moment from any of the original Superman films IMO.

I was in my teens when the first one came out and I saw them all in cinemas. Enjoyed them hugely at the time. Now the only one I watch if it comes on is the first. I agree with the other poster who said that the scrapyard fight in Superman III is one of the best moments of the series.

My love & adoration for the first of the series is all consuming as a cinematic experience, as a life experience, as a moment, or a feeling.

It is my favourite film of all time, (ties with Vertigo) but in all and any CBM list it will always come first.

The three act structure gives three separate 'experiences' as such, Donner's capacity for understanding what an audience would wish for was at the time, revolutionary and his sheer will to get the production in motion the way he saw it took courage and belief.

Without this film, we would not have the entire CBM culture we are lucky enough to enjoy today.

Plus, I did believe a man could fly!

Without this film, we would not have the entire CBM culture we are lucky enough to enjoy today.

Agreed. I put Burton's Batman '89 up there as well in terms of influence but we may never have had that movie without Superman.

Last edited:
Agreed saw at the cinema with my pop and remains my favourite cinematic experience.

The secret was that for the first time, Donner, took the content and comic strip 'personna' seriously, making it 'real world' but knowing how far he could take the notion & origins, before this, no one had seen what could be done, or how it could be done, he believed in the character, and that is why it is the template for all that followed.

I know a lot of people call Reeve's Superman 'cheesy' and I do get what they mean, but at the time it didn't seem it so much.

I know a lot of people call Reeve's Superman 'cheesy' and I do get what they mean, but at the time it didn't seem it so much.

There was no point of reference prior to it and whilst elements date it of course, the belief, the origin placed on screen, for that era of film making mean watching it now in the era we live in now, in it's tech savy placement, still loose none of it's value, meaning or aesthetic.

You should watch Oliver Harper's retrospectives on the Superman movies, absolute fantastic watches those.

Reeve really embodied the humanity of Superman. I like MoS and BvS and I like Cavill in the role but I don't feel he's been given a chance to do that yet . From his interviews he seems friendly/charming so I don't doubt he can do it. Maybe in JL.

I'm a massive fan of both MoS and BvS and Cavill, I think he has cemented himself as the 'new' Superman, for this generation, and the films that Snyder has brought us for me, in parts, show the humanity of the character very much, but yes, Reeve, took that and very much made it his 'own'.

My own view view would be to a certain extent, Cavill hasn't been given the chance to 'immerse' himself in the role the way CR did or as you say MTG, allowed too to a certain degree, Cavill thus far, has been dragged through the hedge backwards as Superman thus far and by indications, from what is coming, JL will move Cavill's Superman more towards CR's interpretation of 'ideals', that this was a three act story - birth, death, resurrection and finally reclaim of birthright.

Cavill's Superman is a hero for these times in terms of representation, the 70's Superman worked for the era's audience, we soaked it up, it spoke to us like nothing before, that film with this era's child/young adult audience would turn off before the popcorn ran out.

Reeve was definitive for that film, for that era, I think Cavill has every chance of doing that, for me, he already has.

JL will move Cavill's Superman more towards CR's interpretation of 'ideals', that this was a three act story - birth, death, resurrection and finally reclaim of birthright.

Nice way of looking at it - I hope so.

Cavill's Superman is a hero for these times in terms of representation, the 70's Superman worked for the era's audience, we soaked it up, it spoke to us like nothing before, that film with this era's child/young adult audience would turn off before t he popcorn ran out.
As someone who like yourself was introduced to each version at the time they were 'current' I completely agree with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"