The 1978-1987 Films Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Misc. Superman Films' started by Mandon Knight, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Mandon Knight

Mandon Knight Uncle Ben's top boy

Okay, here we go, there was great discussion between us on who would start the debate open on this, and so here we go, which are your favourite scenes from the film series.....I've put 3 to begin with, but put as many as you wish too....

Not written in any order, simply just here for their impact and 'awe'

Superman saves Lois in Superman The Movie

[YT]394jYH82s2o[/YT]

The first time we are open to Superman in public knowledge, great dramatic effect, Strong SFX for the time, and of course that immortal exchange between them...

'Always Remember Us'

[YT]TQJu372MrM8[/YT]

The swelling score as it builds, the accumulation of Clark knowing his destiny and the leaving of home and Martha.

Clark v Superman from Superman III

[YT]4_XjgF43U4U[/YT] - Part One

[YT]sfe5drzybRU[/YT] - Part Two

Ok, much of III was poorly executed, Lester was simply not up to the task, he was wrong for the tone of Superman IMO but this scene demonstrates all of Reeve's ability in conveying both sides of the coin, (there are three sides to it, but that's another story), it also coveys brilliantly the traits of Clark and Superman's own relationship between themselves, not just evil v good due to poisoning.

2. Mandon Knight

And another, from Superman II, and I know this is a scene from Lester's cut but I think it demonstrates Reeve's dual acting and character referencing well....

[YT]mRbenFBoPwA[/YT]

3. Gabe99

Gabe99 Well-Known Member

4. TMC1982

TMC1982 Well-Known Member

30 years ago, in no small part due to the incompetence of Cannon Films, Christopher Reeve made his last flight as the Man of Steel!

5. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

I really would love it if I could find a cut of Superman II that's perfect, closest I've got is the Frank Reynold's cut. But it didn't have the Paris scene, even though I like the scene where Lois jumps out the window from the Donner Cut I do prefer the Paris scene. Maybe there's a way to have both.

6. Lead Cenobite

Lead Cenobite Exquisitely Empty

It might not be too difficult, but having the Paris scene might mean having to leave out the missile from STM freeing the villains, otherwise it's kind of redundant.

7. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

I always feel like watching the Christopher Reeve Superman movies (and Supergirl) this time of year more so than any other. The first time I ever saw Superman the Movie was at Christmas time. I’d also see all the other films at this time of year as a kid, they were always on TV. My favourite movie series of all time while it may be flawed is as magical as the time of year I associate it with.

8. TMC1982

TMC1982 Well-Known Member

9. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

That wasn’t an original draft, it was an early pitch by Ilya Salkind. He’s even admitted since it they’d gone with his idea that a lot of it would have changed anyway. So the film was never going to be that.

10. IndyFlash2121

IndyFlash2121 The Scarlet Speedster

[​IMG]
    Something I did.

11. Herofan

Herofan Well-Known Member

Wes Craven probably could have made a good Superman IV even with a low budget.

12. Mandon Knight

Its time for the annual Reeve re-watch on original to IV.

Little mini reviews to follow....

13. ramziramman

ramziramman New Member

A cover I did of the iconic Superman theme by John Williams! Enjoy!
    [YT]https://youtu.be/c68_c-m4aP8[/YT]

14. IndyFlash2121

15. IndyFlash2121

16. Mandon Knight

Watched Superman III again last night, I still stand by the fact many elements stand up well, just the sum of the parts don't hit all the right 'collective' notes.

Moments don't make an entire film, we appreciate that, but the moments in this film are comparable to the first & second film.

The return to Smallville side story and meet up with Lana is really well handled, the Superman goes bad has the junkyard fight (Reeve showing his class in that scene, one of the finest in the entire series) and the notion or idea of Brainiac & rogue A.I. (if not executed fully).

The 'slapstick' is out of place, as is Pryor and Webster is no Lex but the 'basis' of the film is solid.

I'd say its a 6/10 film, the characterisation and general ideas are solid enough but it just doesn't fit, the meat doesn't set well on the bones as such.

17. STARMAN

STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

I haven't seen SIII in it's entirety for a long time but I did like aspects of it. Beyond the great junkyard battle, I liked the Clark and Lana relationship here better than the Lois and Clark romance of SII.

18. Mandon Knight

For me, another great scene from III, Clark demonstrating how to deal with bullies and still keep civil but efficiently in control.

[YT]H7x-HJ-a2Xk[/YT]

19. Zorex

Zorex I'm 100% 50/50

Been awhile since I've been around the boards but I'm glad I found this little spot. I wanted to discuss S:TM's 40th, and what Warners is and may yet do to commemorate the occasion. I've heard whispers and rumblings of things to come, but I'm hesitant to get my hopes up.

La-La Land records released (or, re-released?) the Superman IV score recently, and have teased that there's more to come. Personally, I'd hope for another remaster of the first film's score. Something about the Blue Box sound left me dissatisfied, but maybe that's just my silly ears not recognizing good work.

And then the possibility of a 4K Blu-Ray remaster release of the S:TM later in the year. This is the thing I'm hoping for the most.

I do hope they do a bit more to celebrate the 40th (and the 80th of the character). A logo slapped on some comics and books don't really do much to make me feel celebratory. I'm hoping for some reveals at SDCC in a couple of weeks.

Thoughts?

Edit: And BOOM. There it is. https://www.instagram.com/p/BlEA21ojSvT/

"...can now confirm that a new 4K scan (with a new scanner) and remaster of the theatrical cut of ‘Superman-The Movie’ is underway."

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  20. IndyFlash2121