Superman: The Movie The 1978-1987 Films Appreciation Thread

Google Doodle honors Christopher Reeve, Superman actor and humanitarian

Christopher Reeve is largely remembered for his flights across the screen while wearing a red cape and sporting a giant S across his chest. But it's for his later off-screen work, while hoping to walk again, that solidified him as a hero.

His sensitive portrayal of Superman helped make the 1978 movie a blockbuster that set the stage for a wave of superhero movies. Years later, after a horseback riding accident left him paralyzed, he'd use his star power to raise awareness for the disabled.

From either angle, he was a hero to millions of people. To honor Reeve's legacy, Google will dedicate Saturday's Doodle to the actor, director and humanitarian, on what would've been his 69th birthday.

The first issue of the '78 comic was decent enough, but not particularly interesting. It was basically just a big punch 'em up issue. Thus far I do think it's done a much better job of retaining that feel and style of the Donner films, than the '89 comic has done for Burton's Batman films, regrettably.

The preview for issue 2 has reminded me of how much I love Hackman's Luthor.

Happy Birthday to the original film, released today, the 14th December in 1978. :super:Superman 1978 poster.jpg

What if Dustin Hoffman had played Superman or Lex?

For about the last day and a half or so, for whatever reason, the many comical exchanges between Lex, Superman and Zod in Superman II have been running through my mind and making me internally crack up.

'Promises were made, gifts exchanged... I gotta hand it to you, you always told the truth! A guy always knew where he stood with you.'

'Lex Luthor, Ruler of Australia, activate the machine!'

'But General this is Lex Luthor, eh... Remember? I helped you through the tough times! I filled your insights straight! You came to me with nothing! I gave you Superman!'

Some modern viewers might scoff at how comical they made Luthor in these films, but it was such a memorable and lovable version. He was devious, smart, slimy, and even still threatening when the moment called for it. His blunt admission that he gets his kicks through causing the deaths of innocent people is surprisingly chilling. Hackman was brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"