The 2012 Nascar Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaqua99

....I need a horse!
Reaction score
Idk if there are any other fans here besides me, or if anyone else follows it,

with that being said, please, no one criticize me for liking it, or make fun of it, I am not a hick, I am from Boston, and I always have enjoyed racing.

If anyone else shares the same passion, discuss the season, and now chase, here

Used to watch before this season, this season has been crap though. Uninspired racing and general boring-ness has caused me to tune out.

there was a great championship battle last year though. and it looks like mr. 5 time may become 6 time this year

NASCAR starts next week! Need something to watch now that the NFL isn't on.

I started to get into NASCAR and F1 to an extent back when instead of studying geometry I was playing Gran Turismo 2 all night with the volume low and blankets at the base of my door so my parents wouldn't see the light off the TV.

Anyway, I stopped caring when they started doing the playoff. NASCAR always had respect for the totality of a "season" and then they did away with it. I really think NASCAR would benefit from the ranking system used in tennis or especially golf. Where you have Grand Slams or Majors that are the main impetus of the sport while having a Year End World No. 1 Racer or FedEx Cup champion or whatever. You get season long intrigue AND recognition for the best, or most consistent driver of the year.

NASCAR already has premier tracks, just emphasis it more. You could make Homestead like the Grand Slam Cup and throw a ton of prize money in it. Send the season off with a bang.

I can understand fans rage against the playoff format, but lets face it, if Dale Earnhardt Jr. had won 5 straight titles instead of Jimmie Johnson, hardly anybody woud be *****ing about it.

I like the format. Always have and always will. It's kind of evolved over the years though. The first three years of the chase had 5 drivers with a chance to win the title at seasons end, now it's always been a two horse race.

I think NASCAR made the right decison with a playoff.

I can understand fans rage against the playoff format, but lets face it, if Dale Earnhardt Jr. had won 5 straight titles instead of Jimmie Johnson, hardly anybody woud be *****ing about it.

I like the format. Always have and always will. It's kind of evolved over the years though. The first three years of the chase had 5 drivers with a chance to win the title at seasons end, now it's always been a two horse race.

I think NASCAR made the right decison with a playoff.

It's not the chase that people hate. It's Jimmie Johnson's dominace of the sport that is going to continue. Look at the title battles that jimmie didn't win. Essentially, they were each good battles. Kurt Busch won by 8 points in 2004. 2005 Tony Stewart was the guy to beat all year. Carl Edwards had the best chase (he should be a two time champ right now by the way), but he started too far behind. 06-10 we know was jimmie's deal. 2011 with carl and tony. and this year with brad and jimmie. We got lucky Johnson had his problems the last two races. This was his chase to loose.

08 Edwards would have beaten johnson, had he not wrecked the field at talladega. 2011, he would have won his secod title had he not sped on pit road at dover. had the best car, and ended up finishing 3rd. Not to mention at richmond when he stayed out at the end and the entire field pitted...he still managed to finish second. 08 and 2011 he's made mistakes that costed him two championships, sorta feel bad.

But last year, jimmie was in the clear after texas. Even at homestead the strategy they were on. Brad sort of lucked into that championship by being in the right place at the right time. No one is going to out perform jimmie in the chase. As long as he races, he's going to continue to dominate the chase. That's how it is. That's why people dislike the chase. The chase is a fine format, Johnson just happens to be the dominant driver of this era.

Is dominance bad for business? Having transcendent stars hasn't hurt the NBA, tennis, golf, NFL, or others. Not everyone likes the Jordan's, Federer's, Brady's, or Tiger's, but it's the fun in rooting against them that can draw.

I just think NASCAR has peaked in popularity. The sponsorship boom in the 1970s, the cigarette money that couldn't advertise anywhere else, the population shift to the South, and the big tv deal in 2001, all of those things came together to push the circuit to its max potential. It feels like it's back to being a niche sport except for the Daytona 500.

As a man that has devoted considerable time to tennis, and knows a lot more about it than NASCAR, I can say with certainty that the ATP and the Grand Slam events have conspired to slow courts down and basically insure that the top men are going to make semifinals at every event, tennis has become upset proof.

Is dominance bad for business? Having transcendent stars hasn't hurt the NBA, tennis, golf, NFL, or others. Not everyone likes the Jordan's, Federer's, Brady's, or Tiger's, but it's the fun in rooting against them that can draw.

I just think NASCAR has peaked in popularity. The sponsorship boom in the 1970s, the cigarette money that couldn't advertise anywhere else, the population shift to the South, and the big tv deal in 2001, all of those things came together to push the circuit to its max potential. It feels like it's back to being a niche sport except for the Daytona 500.

As a man that has devoted considerable time to tennis, and knows a lot more about it than NASCAR, I can say with certainty that the ATP and the Grand Slam events have conspired to slow courts down and basically insure that the top men are going to make semifinals at every event, tennis has become upset proof.

the deal is that Johnson is a bit of a..goody two shoes. There isn't a lot of charisma in him. He wins, is happy, that's it. There isn't a lot of drama, he doesn't have a mouth, he's not a guy with a personality, like earnhardt, kyle busch, tony stewart. People tihnk he's a boring champion.

In the 90s, it was the same with jeff gordon. jeff didnt win 5 titles in a row, and if he did, it would be the same. When the johnson era ends, it will be fine, and fans will finally be able to give johnson the credit he derseves as being one of the best of all time.

The only drivers who have him beat in my eyes are Dale Sr. and Petty.

Jimmie's off year was in 2011, 6th in points 2 wins, thats impressive. this season he is off to yet again,another strong start, after winning the 500 and being the point leader. He's dominating the sport, chase or no chase, in the most competitive era.

I am not a johnson fan, I am actually a Carl Edwards fan, but putting all bias aside, credits gotta be given where it's due

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"