The 2012 Presidential Debates: Debate 1

It's not like Obama is a terrible debater (he did after all win the Democratic nomination and the presidential election).

And unlike the Republicans that Romney debated, Obama doesn't have to hold back.

He's also smarter than half of them put together. Not that that's saying much.

It's not like Obama is a terrible debater (he did after all win the Democratic nomination and the presidential election).

And unlike the Republicans that Romney debated, Obama doesn't have to hold back.

I don't think he won because of his debating ability....IMO, Hillary Clinton wiped the floor with him in their debates, when she actually got to talk.

He has to learn to give short, yet information filled answers. He can get the information in there, but he has a big problem with the "short" part....

It will be interesting to see how the questions are worded....I'm more interested in how the debates are run, than those debating....that's sad. :csad:

I'll state my opinion first. Both candidates are politically bland without firm convictions. We can see that when prez panders to whomever he needs to pander to get sympathy. He'll find Michelle white relatives to gain more white votes, he'll support gay marriages publicly although he actually is against them, he'll find slave relatives for whatever reason, etc...

On the other hand Mitt seems to act quite awkward among "common" folks and is not as nearly aggressive in his campaign. He usually speaks his mind which works against the candidate more often than not (like in that video revealed a week ago or so)

Debates
Obama will play safe. He'll continue his populist demagoguery and continue to talk about personal choices and freedom (women, gays...) and OBL. When questioned about economy he'll continue to blame previous administration and assert opinion that "4 years are not enough to fix the mess." Obama is quite good speaker with nice voice and pace, and is a likable person. He's in good position, leading the polls and will not risk much. He won't give out any plans of next 4 years, because nobody will ask him to do that.

Mitt must take a risk. He must be assertive, with clear and concise plan of what he wants to do. Even if he doesn't have that plan he must say he does. He must attack Obama on economy, unemployment and convince the viewers Obama foreign policy doesn't work. He also must start appealing to ordinary people no matter how that seems impossible at the moment. He must be ready to what Obama will say and have a counter argument, or more convincing argument. Romney must go after votes of white women and men. He doesn't need to pander to racial minorities but he must not insult them or demean them. In 2008, the year that drew the biggest number of racial minorities, there was still 83% of whites (72% + 11% white hispanics) in total voting poll.

My prediction
Unless something unpredictable happens in the middle east, or something miraculously springs that will hurt Obama's personality I believe the incumbent will win. Simply the media and the events so far have worked in his favor. It'll be 4 more years for Obama. Is that good or not, we'll see.

Last edited:
You're wrong about one thing. Obama was in favor of gay marriage, then against it, then for it.

Who cares?

Just thought I'd share that some sponsors are dropping out. I mean 10 companies were sponsoring the 2012 debates...now only 7 are. I know some people like you won't care cause even if the other 7 fall, the debates would still happen. The network would just have to put up the cost is all.

Yes, and it is all because of the great one, Gary Johnson, right?

You should read this, ETM. Might shed some much needed light on your messiah, who is in reality just as sleazy and crooked as the other two.

IMO, he beat Gingrich heavily in Florida in their last debate....he has a night like that, he will do well. Gingrich is one of the best.....the only reason I wanted him to be the candidate was to see him debate Obama...I wouldn't have voted for him either, but it would have been fun to watch.

He defeated Gingrich because Newt, in many ways, is an idiot. Romney had such an enormous advantage on substance that Gingrich's style couldn't over come it. I wanted Romney to win those; and there was so much Romney wasn't saying in the beginning. As soon as he grew a spine, it was an easy win.

Newt just has fire. He has more fire than Bill Clinton, and in debates, that is money in the bank. Newt just has very little substance to match his debate charisma, thats his achilles heel. Too many obvious contradictions, too many past problems.

Reagan had a very unique style. He was very suave and agreeable, warm and friendly while showing conviction and determination. TBH, I don't think his attitude would get him too far in todays politics, where he would spend most of the time on the defensive.

TBH, the best debater, in terms of skill matched with substance, from the Republican primaries was probably Santorum. His ideas were out there, but he had the right attitude. Obama would have eaten him alive, but still.

[YT]OWRtlPas4ko&feature=related[/YT]

Obama had his moments, like you can see above. That said, nobody trumps Bill. This is classic, 'I feel your pain, I have your back, listen to me, vote for me' Clinton (even if he largely avoids the question).

[YT]7ffbFvKlWqE[/YT]

KILLING IT

I don't think he won because of his debating ability....IMO, Hillary Clinton wiped the floor with him in their debates, when she actually got to talk.

He has to learn to give short, yet information filled answers. He can get the information in there, but he has a big problem with the "short" part....

It will be interesting to see how the questions are worded....I'm more interested in how the debates are run, than those debating....that's sad. :csad:

In my view, Hillary was the better debater and she really did wipe the floor with Obama. No one can out-debate a Clinton.

I will be very curious to see how these debates are run as well. I really hope all of the moderators hold Obama and Romney's feet to the fire. I get so sick of people resorting to talking points or completely avoiding a question.

Hillary was better....they did an SNL skit about Obama getting the easy treatment and the debate prompters being mean to Hillary (which is what happened). The media not only favored Obama over McCain, the media favored Obama over Hillary as well.

Hillary was better....they did an SNL skit about Obama getting the easy treatment and the debate prompters being mean to Hillary (which is what happened). The media not only favored Obama over McCain, the media favored Obama over Hillary as well.

SNL did the skit because Campbell Brown moderated like a girl who had a crush on the quarterback of the football team....it would have been funny, had it not been a disgusting display of bias on her part....

The SNL skit however, was funny....:yay:

Yes, and it is all because of the great one, Gary Johnson, right?

You should read this, ETM. Might shed some much needed light on your messiah, who is in reality just as sleazy and crooked as the other two.

No, it's because of libertarians e-mailing the companies. Even I have e-mailed Southwest Airlines. Believe the CEO's there. They know...they just don't care if 3rd party gets to debates or not.

:yay: read link and it doesn't bother me cause none of it is true. In his Duke University speech available on Viemo, he said that about the ballot access towards those 3rd parties, but said after each statement 'I may be wrong on that'. And when it comes to his 'I'm the ONLY'..........I honestly don't care for the other 3rd parties. You have to understand, he has a 5-6 state lead over the Green Party in Ballot Access. PA should be the 48th State he gets on....MI may be write in status...so right now he is on 47 ballots and D.C By election day it should be 48 state ballots, D.C, and write-in status in MI. And yes, Johnson isn't perfect. But he is MUCH better than Romney and Obama. I can't vote for ANYONE that supports Patriot Act and NDAA. Now Huntsman...supports NDAA...if he ran 3rd Party...maybe. Depends on if he supports Patroit Act or not.

Also I have nothing nice to say about Virgil Goode of the Constitution Party. He is racist and a anti-gay. He wants a fence/troops on the border and no gay marriage, not even civil unions.

And Gary Johnson isn't my Messiah. :yay:

I'm looking most forward to the debates. I've waited a long time for this. The politicians can say whatever they want on their own time, but when its face to face in front of a nationwide audience, its a whole nother level.

Like conducting an interview at work, who can make the best pitch for the job? Why should they get my vote? Whose the better talker? Who can provide better answers? Who has the "facts" ? Who will take the other man to school? On Wednesday night, the world will see.

Oh yeah can't wait, I wish I could vote but unfortunately I'm a convicted felon for attempted murder on Justin Chatwin and James Wong. :o

We are just days away from the first presidential debate of the 2012 election cycle! The debates always help the public determine who they ultimately vote for. In today's incredibly polarized political climate, the debates often tend to be more entertaining than anything. (Whether it is due to candidates stumbling over their words, avoiding questions all together and resorting to talking points, or putting their foot in their mouths.) In any case, the debates can still make or break a campaign.

The first presidential debate of the cycle takes place on October 3rd at 9pm at the University of Denver in Denver, Colorado. It will focus on domestic policy and will be moderated by PBS host Jim Lehrer.

Will you be watching?

I'll probably watch this debate, but not the others. This election has already felt like it's dragging along, but I do think the first debate is important.It's the first time we see the encumbant, and candidate on the same stage. Where the challenger can show if he can appear presidential, and maybe a few questions about their policies may get some honest, off the cuff, un-scripted answers.

Then of course comes the fun of fact checking statements the next night. Of course I also recognize most ppl have made up their mind, the questions are softballs, rules rarely enforced, and questions are dodged and danced around. Still though, even if diminished, I do want to atleast just watch the 1st one (maybe the others if I'm bored enough, lol).

Last edited:
Who says that Romeny is an awkward debater???

Ill bet you $10,000 that Romney wins. *sticks out hand*

[YT]4laRUcuYXmY[/YT]

I honestly can't wait to see Chris Matthews after the debate.

He's my Sarah Palin.

I honestly can't wait to see Chris Matthews after the debate.

He's my Sarah Palin.

Matthews is a wrinkly, old, grouchy man with a milage of a 4 cylinder Ford Focus. Sarah's got mileage but her engine is like 8 cylinder Silverado.

Last edited:
I predict that unless either candidate has a Rick Perry moment, there will be no clear winner to the debates. Outside of that, people's opinion of who won will be sharply divided among part lines.

Well there's always undecided voters. These debates will make up their minds, unless they get distracted by a shiny object.

Well there's always undecided voters. These debates will make up their minds, unless they get distracted by a shiny object.

I'd bet Romney needs at least 70-80% of the undecided voters to have any chance of winning the election.

No way that happens unless Obama says something terribly ugly or stupid and he's far too careful and clever for that.

Yeah I don't think Romney is going to walk away the huge victor of any of these debates. They will likely both have good jabs at each other but Romney won't win hugely or give himself a big bump in the polls because of this. At this point in time, I think Obama wins. Romney has just sucked as a campaigner.

Rules for Watching the Debate:

debate.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"