The 2014 Video Game Tournament (Nominations)

CJ

Sidekick
Reaction score
I hope Soapy doesn't mind, It's been a while since the first Video Game Tournament, so I think it's about time for a new one. This tourney will follow the rules of the last one,

Soapy said:
Okay, here's the deal: I want everyone who wants to participate to nominate 20 of your favorite games in two separate lists of 10. The first list will comprise of "modern" games, which I have determined to be any game released on the current and previous generations of consoles or on the PC during that time. The second one will be "classic" games released on any console prior to the Dreamcast or on PC during that time.

Other than doing two seperate lists, the only other rule I have is that I want it to be twenty exactly, with one game for each spot on your list.

New rule: If you're too young to have played any of the classic games or didn't start gaming until you were older, don't worry about a classic list, just extend your modern list to 15.
HALL OF FAME
1. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (Ps2)

256px-Mgs3box.jpg

(Becuase MGS3 won the last tourney, you may not nominate it)

Here is my list..

Classic
10. Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES)
9. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
8. Sonic 3 + Knuckles (Two parts of one game, Genesis)
7. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
6. Crash Team Racing (Ps1)
5. Snowboard Kids (N64)
4. Mischief Makers (N64)
3. Fear Effect (Ps1)
2. Crash Bandicoot: Warped (Ps1)
1. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

Modern
10. Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast)
9. Shenmue (Dreamcast)
8. Jet Set Radio Future (XBox)
7. Batman: Arkham Asylum (XBox360/Ps3)
6. Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)
5. Sonic Generations (XBox360/Ps3)
4. Sword of Beserk: Guts Rage (Dreamcast)
3. Shenmue II (XBox)
2. Kingdom Hearts II (Ps2)
1. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (NGC)

Deadline for nominations is next Monday, March 23rd.

This is my first tournament, so bear with me. Because of my schedule, I might only pop-up every two days. I hope this won't be a problem.

Last edited:
..Anyone want to join?

I feel like everyone's a little apprehensive because, as you mentioned, this is usually Soapy's thing. Like it would have been one thing to start your own video game tournament, but outright taking Soapy's tournament without asking him first probably turned a few people off. Also, I'm not sure mentioning your schedule inspired much faith in your ability to keep dedicated to the tournament -no fault of your own, life is life and has to take priority- but if you are going to take on something like this, I think you really need to have the time to do it. A lot of people get involved and will be expecting results.

All that said, this is just my initial impression. I fully admit, I could be way off base here. Maybe everyone's just busy with the Monday hustle and bustle -I know I was.

I see your point. I was thinking my schedule wouldn't affect the tourney that much, but I see how it could bother others. It's just been awhile since the last tourney, and that was a lot of fun, so I was hoping to do it again.

Soapy if you're reading this, apologies to you. It wasn't my intention to steal anything from you. I had hoped you wouldn't mind, and made mention of you in the OP. I'm sorry. I hope you don't have any hard feelings towards me.

If a mod wants to close this, go ahead.

Soapy, if you're up for it, would you like to do the honors and host another one?

Just to be completely clear, I wasn't trying to jump all over you there. This was the first I'd seen of the thread since some time yesterday, and what I wrote was simply one theory as to why there might not yet be any replies. As I said earlier, I could be completely wrong.

I understand. You may be right though. I hope I didn't piss a lot of people off by posting this thread.. :\

I read your PM, CJ. No hard feelings. No feelings of any kind really. I never claimed to have any sort of ownership over these tournaments. You're free to make whatever threads you want as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, I was in here arranging my nominations earlier today, but decided not to post them for whatever reason.

Here we have it, Soapy's approval
I'm game

Classic
10. Castlevania Bloodlines (MEGA DRIVE)
9. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
8. Crash team Racing (PS1)
7. Super Mario Bros (NES)
6. Aladdin (MEGA DRIVE)
5. Marvel Superheroes vs Street Fighter (PS1)
4. Sonic 3 & Knuckles (MEGA DRIVE)
3. Crash Team Racing (PS1)
2. Metal gear Solid (PS1)
1. Resident Evil 2 (PS1)

Modern
10. Winning 11 2005 (PS2)
9. Onimusha 3 (PC)
8. Assassin's Creed 2 (PS3)
7. Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (PS3)
6. Super Smash Bros Melee (NGC)
5. Mortal Kombat 2011 (PS3)
4. Devil May Cry 4 (PC)
3. Resident Evil 4 (PS2/PC)
2. Batman Arkham City (PS3)
1. Tomb Raider 2013 (PC)

I read your PM, CJ. No hard feelings. No feelings of any kind really. I never claimed to have any sort of ownership over these tournaments. You're free to make whatever threads you want as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, I was in here arranging my nominations earlier today, but decided not to post them for whatever reason.

Cool, thanks Soapy. :yay:

I look forward to your nominations.

Last edited:
Maybe it would be a good idea to delay the deadline a day or two
Hoping maybe more people would nominate by then

Modern
1. Metal Gear Solid 2
3. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
4. Resident Evil 4
5. Darksiders
6. Half-Life 2
7. Dark Souls