The All Encompassing AQUAMAN Movie Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm turning 26 I was a kid during the kate 80's and 90's I read LOTR in the 90's I didn't even know anything about it beforehand we read it as a class in 8th grade. When I was last in the Dominican Republic I've seen spanish prints of the LOTR books and The Hobbit. These books have been published all over since the 40's. I think anybody who went through regular public school read LOTR at some point in their life, same for Romeo & Julie and 1984.

I'm turning 26 I was a kid during the kate 80's and 90's I read LOTR in the 90's I didn't even know anything about it beforehand we read it as a class in 8th grade. When I was last in the Dominican Republic I've seen spanish prints of the LOTR books and The Hobbit. These books have been published all over since the 40's. I think anybody who went through regular public school read LOTR at some point in their life, same for Romeo & Julie and 1984.

I disagree but, OK

Back to the topic who do you guys think has the chops to handle the directing on this? Cameron is the obvious choice but we have to be realistic here. Who could handle this movie? the scope is mostly the ocean all around the world. Since it's water based it will end up pretty expensive who could handle a big budget Aquaman?

I think we'll see the Flash before this.

Here is hoping if WB ever makes this into feature film it wont be a comedy with action.

Absolutely. I think Aquaman is sufficiently unknown to the general public that there's an opening to make him cool, no matter what nerds may say about him.

Back to the topic who do you guys think has the chops to handle the directing on this? Cameron is the obvious choice but we have to be realistic here. Who could handle this movie? the scope is mostly the ocean all around the world. Since it's water based it will end up pretty expensive who could handle a big budget Aquaman?
Who directed Waterworld?

;)

I think we'll see the Flash before this.

LOL Cameron would be great for any big budget movie
But realistically its hard to say......
I think it would be great to use someone who has directed outer space

Lord of the Rings: FOTR...no HUGE names in cast ( Did anyone think Sean Astin or Elijah Wood would be in a huge film) . not everyone knows the book or at least hadn't read it (not something that would draw. Still made over $870'000'000
Star Wars: A New Hope no HUGE names in cast or director. Still made over $775'000'000. 47,211,490 opening weekend

Good movies speak for themselves. Maybe the first weekend numbers wont be Spiderman or Entourage's Aquaman huge, but if it's good like LOTR or Star Wars then it should gain more money over time despite if the cast arent made of superstars

LOTR is based on an epic high fantasy classic novel that has been read by millions and studied in college literature courses throughout the world. It has a fan base that would dwarf that of Aquaman or even Iron Man for that matter. The recent film didn't need any big time actors (outside of Ian McKellen maybe) to carry the film since it already had a huge following. This is not a good example. Try again.

^^As I said Star WArs, Jaws (kind of), Home Alone (kind of), Star Trek (tv series) .

But seriously it's whatever as I said its more interesting to have a "non standard" cast who turns out to be good, then to have standard ash A List Stars...because if you want an A List Huge Bankable Aquaman here are your choices: Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Russell Crowe, and Jude Law.

I mean really Brad Pitt for Aquaman, do we really need another Brad Pitt action vehicle, sure hes a good actor, but the choice for him is so predictable and boring, i'd rather see him do another Drama role.

Amy Adams for Mena is good, Zach Efron for Aqualid? I would rather them pick a cast full of interesting unknowns then pick predictable "Who had the last big movie" actors

And if the the trailer looks badass, the poster looks bad ash, and enough fan boys spread the word that the movie is good then the movie will make money. Also the less they spend on actors the more for SFX :p

Last edited:
^^As I said Star WArs, Jaws (kind of), Home Alone (kind of), Star Trek (tv series) .

Star Wars targeted the SciFi Fantasy market. What market will Aquaman target? Certainly not the space based SciFi fantasy.

But seriously it's whatever as I said its more interesting to have a "non standard" cast who turns out to be good, then to have standard ash A List Stars...because if you want an A List Huge Bankable Aquaman here are your choices: Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Russell Crowe, and Jude Law.

That carries a lot of risk too since you don't even know if the film will draw enough viewers to pay for it. If you have a person that will draw fans, that helps a lot.

I mean really Brad Pitt for Aquaman, do we really need another Brad Pitt action vehicle, sure hes a good actor, but the choice for him is so predictable and boring, i'd rather see him do another Drama role.

Is Brad Pitt drawing a crowd to theaters? Is Mr. Pitt associated with Academy Award winning films?.. Yep.

Amy Adams for [Mera] is good, Zach Efron for Aqualid? I would rather them pick a cast full of interesting unknowns then pick predictable "Who had the last big movie" actors

Like I said before, sidekicks are so out, but Efron is a draw. He could easily bring in a few more seats into the theaters with his cute boyish looks.

And if the the trailer looks badass, the poster looks bad ash, and enough fan boys spread the word that the movie is good then the movie will make money. Also the less they spend on actors the more for SFX :p

Watchmen anyone?

Last edited:
Is Brad Pitt drawing a crowd to theaters? Is Mr. Pitt associated with Academy Award winning films?.. Yep.

When did I deny either of those. I actually said that ya Pitt is a good actor and draws crowds, but that doesnt mean I want to see him in Aquaman. I said hes good but a predictable choice.

But I' gonna stop with this because It's taking over the thread and I apologize if anyone is upset by that

When did I deny either of those. I actually said that ya Pitt is a good actor and draws crowds, but that doesnt mean I want to see him in Aquaman. I said hes good but a predictable choice.

But I' gonna stop with this because It's taking over the thread and I apologize if anyone is upset by that

You said chosing him for an action role would be boring. You also asked if we needed another Brad Pitt action vehicle. I just basically indicated that as long as he can draw we will be seeing him in those types of roles. Let's not try to deflect the point by saying that you actually said that he was a good actor.

I think I found a potential director=
Kerry Conran. He directed Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. HE could film all the Atlantis and underwater scenes 300 style (digital backlot) and all the land scenes regularly

Maybe Jensen Ackes from Supernatural (with hair dye) for Aquaman.

Personaly I really like how they did Aquaman in Justice League and I laso really like the tv pilot that the CW didn't pick up. Personaly I really think they missed the boat on that one. I also think Aquaman could be a love story, tragedy and an action movie all in one. Well you might have to save the tragedy part for the second film unless your gonna do something along the line of short haired AM, long haired bitter AM and finaly AM where he gets the water hand and becomes more like AM would be in the first movie.

I think I found a potential director=
Kerry Conran. He directed Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. HE could film all the Atlantis and underwater scenes 300 style (digital backlot) and all the land scenes regularly

I don't think Conran has done much else since. I was actually thinking Stephen Sommer (just because I like a lot of action) or maybe Kevin Reynolds. James Cameron would work too.

Star Wars targeted the SciFi Fantasy market. What market will Aquaman target? Certainly not the space based SciFi fantasy.
Uhh, pretty much anyone that likes action movies and thinks that the movie looks cool..

Like I said before, sidekicks are so out, but Efron is a draw. He could easily bring in a few more seats into the theaters with his cute boyish looks.

No way, man. Having Zac Efron would give people even more reason to have Aquaman gay jokes.

Watchmen anyone?
That's different and you know it. If Aquaman has a sweet teaser, poster, trailer and everything, people will go see it, they did that same exact thing for Watchmen, but when word of mouth spread about it not being an action movie like it was marketed as, people didnt want to see it. Now, if Aquaman brings the goods in the action department, then word of mouth will spread that Aquaman is a badass movie.

Uhh, pretty much anyone that likes action movies and thinks that the movie looks cool..

I don't think that anyone knows for sure what the right market would be for an Aquaman film. Your guess would be as good as mine.

No way, man. Having Zac Efron would give people even more reason to have Aquaman gay jokes.

Efron is a draw. As far as gay jokes, "The Super Friends" and "Entorage" might have done it for him already. I am sure that Batman has his share of those kind of jokes as well.

That's different and you know it. If Aquaman has a sweet teaser, poster, trailer and everything, people will go see it, they did that same exact thing for Watchmen, but when word of mouth spread about it not being an action movie like it was marketed as, people didnt want to see it. Now, if Aquaman brings the goods in the action department, then word of mouth will spread that Aquaman is a badass movie.

How is that differen? People were lead to believe that the film ("Watchment") was going to be fantastic kind of based on the trailer. As it turned out, it wasn't what the public wanted to see. That was my point. Furthermore there are lots of films that aren't as popular as their trailers.

What I meant was, Aquaman should not lead the audience on. Aquaman should be exactly what the marketing and trailers portray it as. Watchmen did the opposite of that.

I loved Watchmen, but I can see how the lowest common denominator would've been upset that the trailers showed balls-to-the-wall action yet the movie turned out to be much more than a mindless popcorn action film.

That said, I don't know what else Aquaman could be marketed as besides a straight superhero action movie. I mean, there's a lot of tragedy to the character, but at his core he's still basically the same as Superman or Spider-Man or any other powered hero, just underwater.

Last edited:
Aquaman should be marketed like the sword and sandal epic types. Equal amounts action and drama.

I loved Watchmen, but I can see how the lowest common denominator would've been upset that the trailers showed balls-to-the-wall action yet the movie turned out to be much more than a mindless popcorn action film.

Lowest common denominator...heh.

Aquaman should be marketed like the sword and sandal epic types. Equal amounts action and drama.

I dont know about swords and sandals, I think thats more Wonder Woman's thing
but a royalty, underwater medieval thing would be cool

I think Aquaman should more or less be an Arthurian legend, under water.

It'd be funny if they took that approach and both Aquaman and Thor's movies came out around the same time. :)

Well, we know Thor's movie is coming, Aquaman's isn't :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"