The All Things Flash Thread. - Part 2

she can't fly tho...... so, I guess they gotta fake that too... it won't disrespect her heritage by cgi'ing her fly...

The actress is representing her culture, by doing a damn fine performance... in make up, costume... so I wouldn't be too offended if she had light brown hair with blonde high lights...
There's a difference between doing CGI to make a person look like they're flying and changing someone's appearance.

I think my concern is from when Jessica Alba played Sue Storm. I had no problem with Jessica being cast as Sue (even though she's not the best actress) but as a fellow olive skinned girl, I didn't appreciate how they lightened her skin, bleached her hair and made her wear blue contacts. They wanted to turn her into a white girl.

If they make Sasha blonde but without trying to make it look like they're trying to change her ethnicity, I can accept that.

Dont give her blue eyes because they definitely dont need em and various Supes have had different eye color. But you arent going to have a blonde Superman. IF she just doesnt look good as a blonde? Cool, tried and do whats best. If she can pull off blonde or a honey color or highlights...go that route.

If she is playing Kara Zor-El, cousin of Superman, then I think she should be blonde. Simply because that's what the character looks like and has always traditionally looked like. If you are going to use that version of the character, but change her looks to where she doesn't look like the character, then why bother using that character in the first place?

Now, if she's playing a different version of Supergirl, like the daughter of Superman or a female version of Superman, then she doesn't have to be blonde. But then she should have a different name, like Lara Kent or something. But don't call her Kara Zor-El.

Dont give her blue eyes because they definitely dont need em and various Supes have had different eye color. But you arent going to have a blonde Superman. IF she just doesnt look good as a blonde? Cool, tried and do whats best. If she can pull off blonde or a honey color or highlights...go that route.
I guess I'm just appreciative of how DC movies have cast actors not based on how the character looks in the comic. Like Barry Allen is typically blonde haired/blue eyed in the comics and Ezra isn't. Same with Jason Momoa. So I don't see why Supergirl HAS to have blonde hair (she doesn't)

Hair colour doesn't equate to good character representation (for example Daniel Craig as a blonde James Bond)

Anyway, I didn't mean to side track and make this all about hair because at the end of the day, they'll do whatever is best for the movie and the aesthetic they're going for. Very excited to see Supergirl on the big screen, whatever colour hair she has :D

I guess I'm just appreciative of how DC movies have cast actors not based on how the character looks in the comic. Like Barry Allen is typically blonde haired/blue eyed in the comics and Ezra isn't. Same with Jason Momoa. So I don't see why Supergirl HAS to have blonde hair (she doesn't)

Hair colour doesn't equate to good character representation (for example Daniel Craig as a blonde James Bond)

Anyway, I didn't mean to side track and make this all about hair because at the end of the day, they'll do whatever is best for the movie and the aesthetic they're going for. Very excited to see Supergirl on the big screen, whatever colour hair she has :D

Id rather Ezra be some kind of blonde but he probably couldnt pull it off anyway. But to me, DC heroes are all brunettes and Id like to see some variation in hair colors. But like I said, if she cant pull it off then cool.

If Kara Supergirl can now be a brunette, then Superman can be blonde. Wonder Woman can be a readhead. Batman can be bald.

Now you know they would NEVER have a blonde Superman or Batman, especially bald.

If Kara Supergirl can now be a brunette, then Superman can be blonde. Wonder Woman can be a readhead. Batman can be bald.

No. There's no rule or law that says any of these characters have to look a specific way. Other than the tradition of how they have always looked since their creation.

Some characters have had different looks throughout their history (Catwoman and Lois, for example). With those characters, I feel there's more leeway.

But other characters, like Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman, have had consistent looks. With those characters, I don't think you should be changing their looks.

And I'd add to that Kara Zor-El Supergirl. As far as I know, she has consistently been portrayed as blonde. Google Kara Zor-El or Supergirl, and you'll see images of a blonde character across different versions and different media. Comics. Cartoons. Tv and Film. Kara Zor-El, Superman's cousin, is blonde.

I care more about if there’s someone else playing Iris than her hair color.
But yeah even though it’s about how The Flash messes with the time and is the basis of the story if its more about the DC Universe as a whole they should change the title. B/c it sounds misleading as The Flash.

Last edited:
So across the multiverse. All Supergirls are blonde? EVERY SINGLE UNIVERSE FOR ALL TIME?

I'll vouch for her. She's a good actress with lots of charm, personality, and Spunk.
There are tons of clips of her on Youtube if people want to get a sense of her acting.

I whole heartedly wish her the best of luck, and I think she'll be a welcome addition to the Superman myths.

And in case any fanboys start complaining about her soap opera background, we should keep in mind, that Christopher Reeve was a soap actor as well. Ditto with Brandon Routh.
POSITIVITY!

So across the multiverse. All Supergirls are blonde? EVERY SINGLE UNIVERSE FOR ALL TIME?

Every Superman is brunette, Every Batman is brunette. Every single time.

I refuse to believe that the key to Supergirl’s popularity over all of these decades is the color of her hair.

I dont think anyone stated her popularity was in her hair color.

I find "what colour is her hair?" to be one of the least interesting questions about this casting.

How big a role will she play in the story, is it just a cameo, is she a major character?
Is she from another universe?
Does Flash travel back in time to the landing of the Kryptonian scout ship, meeting her then?
Does Flash travel into the future, where he meets a descendant of Clark and Lois carrying on Superman's legacy?
Will she get a solo, or team up film?
If a team up, with who?

I dont think anyone stated her popularity was in her hair color.
Exactly. Hair color does not define these characters' popularity. Hair color does, however, become part of these characters' iconic visual identities, especially if said identity has remained fairly consistent throughout the years, versions, and media.

Is Superman popular because he has dark hair? No. Of course not.

But has Superman consistently been depicted as having dark hair? Yes. Same with Batman. Same with Wonder Woman. Likewise, Kara Zor-El Supergirl has been consistently depicted as blonde. Not a readhead. Not a brunette. Not green or purple hair with a mohawk. Blonde.

True. The multiverse opens up the possibility of these classic characters having different looks (and personalities). And that's the one leeway or wiggle room this film has. So, if this Supergirl from an alternate universe ends up being a dark haired Supergirl, then so be it. Yes. I will be disappointed on some level. But I can accept that this is an alternate universe version of the character. I'm just glad we are getting Supergirl and something Superman related.

And again. All of this is pure premature speculation on all of our parts. For all we know, they'll simply dye the actress' hair blonde and this whole debate will be moot.

And she may not even be playing Kara Zor-El, cousin of Superman, version of Supergirl. As I said, she could be "Lara Kent" daughter of Superman and Lois (or Wonder Woman). In fact, having Keaton's old man Batman opens up the chance that his universe is now more like the dystopian Frank Miller Dark Knight story. So, they could adapt the Lara Kent (daughter of Superman and Wonder Woman) from that story.

Or, maybe she's a "Clara Kent" female version of Clark Kent in her universe. So Clark/Superman doesn't exist as a male in that universe but as a female instead.

There are lots of possibilities they can go with using the multiverse concept. So, I'm going to withhold final judgment until I see the actress in costume playing the part.

Still, in general, I would prefer these characters to look like how they have consistently looked based on the source material. The actor/actress cast for the part should change to look like the character they are playing (hair dye is the simple solution here), not the character changing to look like the actor/actress.

And I'd feel the exact same way if Supergirl has always been portrayed as having dark hair like her cousin, but now they are making her blonde or a readhead. So, the specific hair color isn't the problem here. It's consistency of the character's look and accuracy to the source material.

Last edited:
I find "what colour is her hair?" to be one of the least interesting questions about this casting.

How big a role will she play in the story, is it just a cameo, is she a major character?
Is she from another universe?
Does Flash travel back in time to the landing of the Kryptonian scout ship, meeting her then?
Does Flash travel into the future, where he meets a descendant of Clark and Lois carrying on Superman's legacy?
Will she get a solo, or team up film?
If a team up, with who?
I agree. These are all more important questions. I'm especially curious as to what this means for film Superman's future and Henry Cavill in particular.

Are they positioning this new Supergirl to essentially "replace" Superman going forward in these films? If so, I don't want that. I want both Superman and Supergirl to co-exist together. I mean, I'm still waiting for a new Superman solo film, be it a proper sequel to MOS with Cavill or a complete reboot.

And even if they reboot Superman with a different actor, I don't want them to reboot it by replacing Superman with Supergirl. So, if that's their intention here, then that bothers me more than what hair color Supergirl will have.

I don't think anyone stated her popularity was in her hair color.
When you have people here stating that they wont watch it if she is not blonde, what does that say?

Yeah my first reaction was not she’s not blonde. It was is she gonna be a main character? How much of a Flash movie is this supposed to be? Because if she and both Batmans have bigger roles than Flash supporting characters than they should change the title. They were gonna call it Flashpoint. Even Crisis on Infinite Earths makes more sense as a title judging from casting so far.
I’m a fan of Muschietti, great director, trust him more than ppl like Zack Snyder, but we finally have a Flash movie and there using it as an excuse to dump DC cameos left and right like they did with BvS. That didn’t work out so well. I mean they don’t have another Supes movie on tap so next thing we know Cavill is in. Its like a Spider-Man movie and no MJ or Gwen Stacy, J. Jonah Jameson or the Sinister Six. Or Captain America Civil War as the first solo film instead of The First Avenger.

Has anyone said that? If so then that's just ridiculous
Perhaps. But then, so what?

If a fan feels that way, then they are entitled to feel that way.

Likewise, if a fan does not care one bit about this particular detail of the character, then they are entitled to feel that way.

Everyone has different tastes, preferences, and expectations about how they want to see their favorite characters portrayed. And everyone has different levels of attachment to a character.

There is no right or wrong way to react to these things.

And I'll just add this.

Colin Farrell looks nothing like Penguin. But, they didn't change Penguin's look to make the character look like Colin Farrell in the new Batman film. No, Colin drastically changed his appearance to look like the character, to the point where he became unrecognizable.

So, if Colin can do that to play Penguin, then they can simply dye Sasha's hair color to be blonde to play Supergirl. Just find the right shade of blonde that looks good on her while allowing her to resemble the character she's supposed to be playing.

That's why it's called acting. You the actor are supposed to transform yourself into the character you are playing. And hair dye is literally one of the easiest changes you can make to change your appearance.

Last edited:
I'm actually glad the discourse here at least is limited to debates about her hair color as opposed to her acting talent and her racial makeup.

I've seen alot of ignorance and offensive stuff from fandom when actors of color are cast in traditionally Caucasian roles over the years, and it usually gets to a level of toxicity.

I know that that's still going on in Sasha's case, but at least it's not as much as it has been in the past with other past castings.

So, the hair color debate is perfectly fine by me, and is a relief in a weird way.

Perhaps. But then, so what?

If a fan feels that way, then they are entitled to feel that way.

They are watching a movie where the main character is blonde in the comics. I like my adaptions to share similarities with their counterparts but it is ridiculous imo for haircolor to be a deal breaker.

They are watching a movie where the main character is blonde in the comics. I like my adaptions to share similarities with their counterparts but it is ridiculous imo for haircolor to be a deal breaker.

I agree. But if someone feels like it's a dealbreaker to them, then so be it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"