The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 1

Discussion in 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' started by Thread Manager, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jexx

Jexx the Emerald Eagle

I meant in terms of competition for TASM2.

2. AF3619

AF3619 You´re those Spider-guys!

is Marc going to tweet something today? ,:hmm

3. WesMan

WesMan Well-Known Member

Well, it's 11:00pm in New York...so there's a possibility if they're shooting a night scene. But he hasn't really said anything about today (like whether or not he'll be posting.) Hope he does, though.

4. AF3619

haha is the a crazy possibility that we get a first official look to the sequel?,:oldrazz:

5. chaseter

chaseter Esteemed Member

I am going to reply to some of your blog points...

You start off the comparisons of ASM and SM1-3 with a picture of JarJar. That already tells me that the coming is going to be borderline trollolo, an obvious attempt to build up a movie that critics and the general audience agree was a mediocre movie. You can have your own opinion, that's fine, but you have nothing to reinforce that opinion to make credible.

You start off with
    Yet you continue to analyze ASM to SM1-3. You are comparing the first movie of a series to another trilogy. It's completely pointless other than to force weight upon your argument to your side. ASM is one movie. The next one can be the worst movie ever made yet you are so confident in the entire story that you yet don't know. So, the entire foundation you used to write this blog post is inherently faulty.

But, lets speak on how you think movies that have completed arcs with strands of a trilogy built in are worse than an entire movie that is basically Act I of a trilogy. First off, it's film making 101 to have acts in each movie with a climax and resolution for the main character. Look at all the great superhero movies ever made. How many of them are doing what you say you don't like for them to do? None of them. No first movie in a superhero series is such a ****ish attempt by using sequel bait as ASM. Secondly, it's common sense that you make the best first film you can for hopes of potential sequels. You can't invest in a trilogy without having a solid foundation to build upon. There's a reason for that. People on here have said 'oh well this is a first'. Peter didn't learn anything in ASM. Nothing got resolved. It was a mediocre written script with dropped plot arcs and overly obvious attempts to make people come back for more. You don't go to a steakhouse and get a salad to have the owner tell you to come back tomorrow for the next course. How asinine. The Parents storyline is completely dropped once Peter goes to OSCORP and gets bitten. Uncle Ben's killer is completely forgotten once Lizard comes into the picture and isn't hinted at until the end of the friggin movie. In this movie, Peter hasn't learned a damn thing. He hasn't confronted his Uncle's killer, he hasn't confronted his parent's killer, he hasn't learned that with great power comes great responsibility. He learns absolutely nothing. That shows that the writing is mediocre to me. Dropped characters like Ratha shows that the movie was terribly edited. If this movie is such a masterfully crafted trilogy, why did they cut out Ratha's death? Why was Connor's family cut out?

continued trollolo...

Does he need a secret cocaine habit?

No. If you want to knock Raimi on his portrayal of JJJ, lets knock Webb for making one of the lamest villains ever, Lizard. All he wants to do is turn other people into Lizards. That was the saddest plotline they could choose from that character and yet they did. If you want to reference Ultimate comics, why not talk about Ultimate Lizard? Fwomp.

You can't have every character in a movie deeply developed. OMG why didn't they develop Stacy's wife and other kids beside Gwen. Way to go Webb.

What did Aunt May in this one do? She was a shoulder for Peter to turn away from. TOMG excellent writing!

It's the exact same damn thing in this movie.

Peter fought Flash at school. After never doing so ever before, Ben starts to put together that Peter is changing. He has been acting weird lately. He goes straight to his room and he skips chores. Peter getting in a fight is a pretty damn big reason for Ben to be concerned of...which is the culmination of all the other weird behavior.

Your entire first paragraph about The Plot is the exact same thing in both Raimi's and Webb's first movie...combining the origin of Spider-Man with the origin of a major villain. Raimi had Goblin and Webb had Lizard. While I will agree that I wish Raimi had saved Goblin for 2 or 3, it was the first movie and you have to use an iconic villain to bring in the crowds. It's why Batman 89 used the Joker. It's why Superman 78 had Lex Luthor. It's why X1 had Magneto. All of these first movies have to go big or go home. Had this been 2001 and Webb been at the helm, it would have been the same.

The first half hour of ASM (Peter investigating his parent's death and Ben's death) was completely disconnected from the rest.

Just like in the original comic?

It sure does in SM2.

And I guarantee you that your friends will feel the same about ASM2 compared to ASM.

- Peter graduating High School isn't the most important thing in Spider-Man's life. I have no idea why this is a neg for SM1. More happens in Spider-Man post High School days unless you lean on USM.
    - You mention Iron Man and Batman Begins being masterful stories. Both of those had the character established with a clear sense of purpose with all responsibilities in order.
    - Same thing happened in ASM. Fwomp.

Stay tuned for tomorrow when I bring the other half.

6. Spideyman123

Spideyman123 Well-Known Member

y u no tweet Day 11 Marc

7. AF3619

because he is busy filming a movie or something like that?:oldrazz:

8. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

Which implies what I said. Your opinion is making the film better to you, that's all. To me, it's a load of crock that is making the film better than what it is, hence why I said it. To you, it's a different story, to Picard it's different, hence why he continues to post the same link in trying to make a point to the "non-believers".

9. Anno_Domini

Anno_Domini Well-Known Member

If TAS-M 2 isn't any better than the first, it will indeed be bested, critically, by Days of Future Past for sure. Marvel Studios' films? Still a toss-up if you ask me. They have only been on a roll with Iron Man and The Avengers, imo.

10. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

See, this is why I don't post here more often. It's like a regular back and forth between two extremes of loving or hating ASM. It's either 'Raimi rooters' or 'Raimi revisionists' and other nonsense.

11. chaseter

chaseter Esteemed Member

I rarely talk about SM1-3 unless it's pointlessly attacked. What I see more often in here is people tearing down other movies (SM1-3, TDKR, Marvel movies) in order to raise up ASM. I try to keep other movies out of my beefs with ASM.

12. Rated-X

Rated-X Well-Known Member

Raimi is the best.

:yay:

13. X-Rated

X-Rated Well-Known Member

No he's not.

:dry:

14. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

I know. I see that too and I'm not singling anyone out. Just saying that this part of the forum always seems to get into a back and forth of between saying TASM sucks or rules.

15. Picard Sisko

Picard Sisko Prepare to be Assimilated

I don't think this is something to really worry about. Even if Spider-Man is beaten critically by X-Men: Days of Future Past, I wouldn't consider it an embarrassment, and it certainly wouldn't make Spider-Man look "bad" either. Not every Spider-Man film is going to be amazing. James Bond had some clunkers along the way, but that never hurt him. This is going to be only one of many more Spider-Man movies to come.

As long as the movies are good, then its fine. So if TASM2 gets an 80% on RT for example, but X-Men: DOFP gets 90%... does it really matter?

For all we know, TASM2 will beat DOFP, which could turn out to be a huge mess. Singer made X-Men and X2... while I think they are fantastic, there is also something very dull about them. Something was missing, and I can't put my finger on it. Let's also not forget how he was responsible for Superman Returns as well (gee, that was a success). For all we know, DOFP can be another X-Men film with way too many characters, and a poorly written script. Actually, too many characters is a huge concern for me and this movie, but I'm hoping for the best.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  16. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

As long as TASM2 is good itself and does enough money to warrant a sequel then I'll be satisfied. I'm not bothered if X-men is a better film or if it makes more money, just as long as we can be happy with TASM2 and it doesn't lose too much money to its competition.

17. TheWallCrawler

TheWallCrawler hero or a menace?

You twins? :awesome:

18. Picard Sisko

Picard Sisko Prepare to be Assimilated

Agreed entirely. I just want a good movie. And a decent box office to warrant a sequel.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  19. Octoberist

Octoberist point blank

While I thought the first film was mishandled, it seems like Webber has more control with ''Amazing Spidey 2". I'm cautiously optimistic.

20. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

You brought this up before I believe. I am not worried. Spidey has the premiere May opener slot for a reason. As you said, he's their biggest property other than Avengers and maybe arguably Iron Man now. I don't think DOFP is going to do more than $600m. GotG is really up in the air, but I think if it hits, it will hit HARD, but not so much to topple Spider-Man. I am confident that TASM2 will be an $800m film if not a $1b one. And no I'm not crazy, in this day and age a good Spider-Man movie should be able to gross over a billion dollars world wide.

Yes, this is also something I noticed. Webb seems to be much more in the driver's seat with this film than the first, since he was basically brought in last minute with that one and I doubt he had much if any control over the direction of the film die to certain circumstances. Can't wait to see what his true vision of the film is like (already off to a good start with the eyes and bringing in multiple facets of the Spidey universe in the correct way).

21. Oscorp

Oscorp Well-Known Member

I must say that Raimi shows some real class! Respect to him!

22. Naite22

Naite22 Well-Known Member

For me, Spidey is the most interesting superhero flick to come out in 2014... Captain America 2. Please... He's just so UNinteresting.

23. Smegger56

Smegger56 The Smegginator

TASM2 will beat the Marvel competition IMO, in terms of BO. It's spidey

Now crtically? If it's as good or better then TASM, not a problem. The biggest complaint about TASM I hear alot of was that it was a reboot and they retold the origin. With that out the way (I loved it btw) it should do fine.

24. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

Not me

That's what their profiles say

25. SpideyFan92

SpideyFan92 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think so too that ASM2 will beat the Marvel competition. I think Electro's visuals will probably be the part of the movie that would stand out the most.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.