The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 General Discussion - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_mjayzetYnU1s1tzpbo1_500.png

I wouldn't say characterization was superficial. I think that is a very important part of a film. And we also disagree about the Raimi spidey characterization (surprise lol).

The story structure was fine. The movie is not meant to tell all in one film. It's gonna take its time over a few. There is nothing wrong with this approach to film making. Hell, even books, TV shows and comics spread character arcs and stories.
This is the argument that just bothers me to no end. If the story isn't complete by the end of the movie, guess what? The singular film failed in its structure, and shouldn't get a free pass because the arcs will be completed over the course of another couple of film. TV shows and comics are not movies. A franchise film should be able to tell a complete story in it's 2 hour time span, while simultaneously leaving enough elements open-ended to be fleshed out over the sequels.

I'm not waiting a decade or two for my Spidey. Besides, Sony only has about a 5 year window to make another Spidey film or the movie rights revert back to Disney/Marvel. I hate Marvel Studio Films--and I will fight like a bionic ninja to stop that from happening. :o
I'm not looking forward to a Spidey film from that studio either

This is the argument that just bothers me to no end. If the story isn't complete by the end of the movie, guess what? The singular film failed in its structure, and shouldn't get a free pass because the arcs will be completed over the course of another couple of film. TV shows and comics are not movies. A franchise film should be able to tell a complete story in it's 2 hour time span, while simultaneously leaving enough elements open-ended to be fleshed out over the sequels.

Thank you for saving me the time in writing that. lol.

But that's exactly on point. TASM should be able to stand alone as it's own film, not require a sequel to "complete it". The LOTR movies, the Nolan Batman films and the Hobbit have all done this. Yes, they're part of a larger serial, but each film stands on it's own with complete story and character arcs. This was the chief sin of TASM.

TASM being webbs first big budget super hero movie and what looks like it was a troubled production judging by the deleted scenes that were removed for unknown reasons and changed in the final film

but i think webbs direction is what makes the film work in many ways and is why i enjoy the film, while to me raimis spiderman films were flawed and all cliché and ain't very watchable

Last edited:
meh! they copied that move from the raimi films

BS! Spidey does that move in the 1984 issue #3 of the Spider-Man/ Tansformers mini-series.

This bodes well for TASM2 that Webb is pulling so much straight from the comics! :applaud:applaud:applaud

Let's actually look at the story arcs in ASM.

Main Story Arcs:
1) Peter's arc (from shy teen to superhero): COMPLETED
2) Connors/The Lizard (from good doctor to monster, back to good doctor): COMPLETED
3) Peter and Gwen's arc (from friends to relationship to broken up): Technically COMPLETED, but can be considered OPEN ENDED as well.

Side Plots:
1) Looking for Ben's Killer: OPEN ENDED
2) Mystery of Peter's Parents: OPEN ENDED
3) Peter and Capt Stacy's arc (from no trust/dislike to acceptance/understanding): COMPLETED

All of the main story arcs had a beginning, middle, and end. The ONLY things that were left unfinished were the two (3 if you want to count Gwen) aspects that will bridge the franchise (Ben's killer and Peter's Parents). This is the Harry Osborn arc (Raimi's films) of this series.

As much as I love the film, The Hobbit is FAAAAAAAAAAR from a complete story, and I'm totally amused that anyone would list that as a good representation of a film within a franchise that has its own, complete isolated story. To me, this just proves that these particular complaints for ASM are totally biased hogwash.

let's actually look at the story arcs in asm.

Main story arcs:
1) peter's arc (from shy teen to superhero): Completed
2) connors/the lizard (from good doctor to monster, back to good doctor): Completed
3) peter and gwen's arc (from friends to relationship to broken up): Technically completed, but can be considered open ended as well.

Side plots:
1) looking for ben's killer: Open ended
2) mystery of peter's parents: Open ended
3) peter and capt stacy's arc (from no trust/dislike to acceptance/understanding): Completed

all of the main story arcs had a beginning, middle, and end. The only things that were left unfinished were the two (3 if you want to count gwen) aspects that will bridge the franchise (ben's killer and peter's parents). This is the harry osborn arc (raimi's films) of this series.

As much as i love the film, the hobbit is faaaaaaaaaar from a complete story, and i'm totally amused that anyone would list that as a good representation of a film within a franchise that has its own, complete isolated story. To me, this just proves that these particular complaints for asm are totally biased hogwash.

thank you!! :)

All of the main story arcs had a beginning, middle, and end. The ONLY things that were left unfinished were the two (3 if you want to count Gwen) aspects that will bridge the franchise (Ben's killer and Peter's Parents). This is the Harry Osborn arc (Raimi's films) of this series.

As much as I love the film, The Hobbit is FAAAAAAAAAAR from a complete story, and I'm totally amused that anyone would list that as a good representation of a film within a franchise that has its own, complete isolated story. To me, this just proves that these particular complaints for ASM are totally biased hogwash.

The Hobbit, as I said, while being part of a larger series, does a good job of establishing a mini-character arc for Bilbo when he spares Gollum's life at the end. He has learned something through the events of the film and consequently he has grown. In this way, the first Hobbit film is satisfying as it's own film.

We do not get anything of the sort in TASM. Peter loses his uncle because of his irresponsibility and then he loses ANOTHER mentor figure in Captain Stacy through his irresponsibility and makes a promise to keep Gwen out of it, which would be the responsible thing to do. Come the end of the film, we see that he's going to break this promise and be irresponsible again. Nothing learned, no visible character growth. Back almost at square one. That's why TASM fails.

I'm amused that people will keep defending these glaring, gaping problems because they either don't understand how proper storytelling works or just choose to ignore them. Biased hogwash indeed.

uncle bens message at the end of TASM is almost an open door for whats to come

its better to keep it open ended for sequels rather then do what raimi did and close everything in then have to open them back up for a sequel as it ended up becoming this thing where raimi wouldn't leave things like the uncle bens death alone

AJENDO, Are you sure that gif is from TASM2? I'm pretty sure I saw that gif last year, it's not from any movie, I think it was some amateur video on YouTube. I remember a host on some Spanish TV talk show last year showing Andrew & Emma that clip when they were on

Last edited:
Also are they really going with Amazing Spider-Man 2? 'Amazing/Spectacular/Web of' would have been much cooler.

If that clip was from TASM 2...someone's been smoking some sh-- before they clocked in.

Are you sure that gif is from TASM2? I'm pretty sure I saw that gif last year, it's not from any movie, I think it was some amateur video on YouTube. I remember a host on some Spanish TV talk show last year showing Andrew & Emma that clip when they were on

Yes. It's definitely official stunt footage from TASM2.

I just can't get over how great that classic costume looks in that footage. Classic Spidey. I love it.

Yes. It's definitely official stunt footage from TASM2.

I just can't get over how great that classic costume looks in that footage. Classic Spidey. I love it.

No, it's not, check out the above YouTube link that was posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"