The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spider-Man 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter was just an ordinary kid who got bit by a spider. The fact that his father created the spiders with his own DNA has nothing to do with Peter. This is not a Hulk situation where Richard Parker was experimenting on his son. Richard Parker didn't force Peter to walk into the room full of spiders, the element of random chance in Spidey's origin is still there. The only difference is that if someone else had been bitten by that spider it would have just made them sick. Peter Parker wasn't destined to be Spider-Man, it just so happens that his father designed the spiders which gave him his powers. Not once do they ever bring up the idea that Peter was destined to be Spider-Man in this film.

Exactly.

Richard didn't exactly plan on making his son a freaking cross species.

@Neno_Kos

mcdonalds-ff.jpg

Reporting because it get nerfed by the thread manager

Just back from my second viewing, wasn't intending on another but my dad hadn't seen it and we always go to cbm movies together,

Sadly it doesn't get any better. In fact it gets kinda worse when you know the story a lot of the minor faults become more apparent and the major ones scream in your face

Pros

The 3d is superb, my first screening was 2d and the web slinging and mid air fights are amazing
Emma stone steals the movie as I said before I can not stand gwen as a character but she actually made me enjoy her

Cons

The rhino, I didn't give much thought to him before as it's essentially a glorified cameo, but Jesus Christ that was painful to watch, a poor design but the actor who's name escapes me at the moment left no scenery unchecked and it wasn't even good ham. I kept expecting him to ask dr evil if he could coat spider-mans dong in gold

The story is far to convoluted and doesn't flow. Even with knowing what's coming it still seems to just be a random bunch of scene that have been put together with a lot missing

The goblin is just a a waste, yeah there is impact with the death of hewn but otherwise he's has little to no real reason to be there. He's been forced in. It may have been better to save him and the death for the third movie. At least them may have been able to fix the design

Electro may have been the most interesting villain of he piece when he was finally a villain. I know what they were trying but I just couldn't feel any sympathy for max. Especially the second time it was just a case of come on I know some people are bad but that was nothing but a low stereotype.

Why the bad place did gwen need to be there at the power plant, she claims she knows how to reboot the grid, it was a damn switch my granny could have rebooted that damn thing

Also a lot of people on here say we don't know if Norman is dead as we don't see the body, umm yes we do, when his death is announced they show a bunch of medical staff cleaning up, you can see he shape of Normans head just above the footer of the dead, he'll a nurse can be seen using a torch to look at his face

I'll leave it at that because otherwise I feel I'll just be repeating what I posted after my first viewing, Sadly though I don't want them to making spider-man films I have little excitement for the S6 or the asm3 if this the style of thought process

2 movies so far that have been kinda subpar with a lot of wasted potential in my opinion at least for what that's worth

TWS did it right. After watching that, I'm so excited to see Cap in AoU and Cap 3. But after TASM2, my anticipation for ASM3 and the S6 spinoff has lowered quite a bit. I'll see them because it's Spider-Man, but wow, pretty disappointed that this isn't the sequel it should've been.

TWS did it right. After watching that, I'm so excited to see Cap in AoU and Cap 3. But after TASM2, my anticipation for ASM3 and the S6 spinoff has lowered quite a bit. I'll see them because it's Spider-Man, but wow, pretty disappointed that this isn't the sequel it should've been.

Dang, sorry to hear about your disappointment.

The 3d is superb, my first screening was 2d and the web slinging and mid air fights are amazing

I'm not a big fan of post-production 3D most of the time, but the webswinging sequences looked great.

Honestly, despite all the frustrating flaws with this movie (and there are many), the exhilarating visuals make it worth seeing for any Spidey fan.

The best comic book movie I've seen since The Dark Knight.

Hey guys, lurker here. I've been following the production of these films on the Hype since the reboot was announced. Needless to say, I was extremely hyped for this film after the origin was handled and there was a fresh slate. Though I just got out of the theater and need time to process things, here are my initial reactions to the film.

I feel very mixed about the film.On one end, as a student of film, this film had a terrible narrative structure. Like others have posted, it's basically a bunch of scenes streamed together. Barely any tension is built until 2/3 of the way in. I'm struggling to remember how it even got to certain points because it was so scattered. Clearly there were some scenes taken out that could have helped this film. So as a FILM, I thought it was awful.

BUT, as a Spider-Man story? I loved it. It felt like a comic book to me in a way no other CBM has made me feel. This is by far the best incarnation of Spidey I've ever seen on screen. I've always thought that the core of Spider-Man was not the action or the villains. It's about the soap opera known as Peter Parker's life. And I think the movie did a great job of getting that feel that no other movie has really gotten.

If the film had been better put together I would give it a 9/10 and probably rank it as the best Spidey film to date. But due to script/editing problems that it had, I give it a 7.5/10.

I might expand on my thoughts once I digest what I saw, but these are my initial impressions.

The critics are wrong on this one. This movie was everything I wanted from a Spider-Man movie.......except the little kid scene went on too long and the costume could've used a little more work.....other than that, Best Spider-Man movie and I can't wait to rewatch it.

Awful in nearly every regard. If I had to choose two words to describe this movie, they would be boring and aimless. In terms of execution, disappointment, and flow, I'm immediately reminded of Iron Man 2 and Prometheus.

I'd like to follow up with a more in depth review sometime later on, but one thing I'd like to add is that anyone who comes to this movie's defense has zero credibility when criticizing any other genre film for being cheesy or campy. Good grief, this movie was a borderline parody of itself...so many elements were just made a mockery of. Spider-kid? Yeah....no.

After seeing this flick, Marc Webb is either a brilliant troll or a hopelessly incompetent filmmaker. Sad, because there are bits of good buried in this mess of a movie, but all I can focus on right now are the myriad of bad parts.

The relationship aspect of this and TASM, is better than any of these movies, ever. I think you go back to Reeve/Kidder, or Keaton/Pfieffer, the relationship here works better than all of them. It's so real and so well done and the climax was so much better b/c of it. Also props to Sony for going that route and showing it.

On the other after the much more unique, tone at least first movie, they went completely the other way. The trailer looked like a video game and the actual movie was worse. The Spider-man/Electro fights were so over the top, and at times just ridiculous. In the first movie he was walking up to guys just punching them in the face, and now they have gone this way. All the action was so distant and less real. The Rhino character, just wtf? Who watched that and thought let's put this in the movie?

After the promising ASM, disappointed, b/c it was just too much. If it had that tone, two less villains, I think you it would have been one of the best comic book movies ever.

Absolutely loved it, enjoyed it more than the first one and so far these two movies have outdone the other trilogy for me. I know it's not a popular opinion and don't want to argue about it, but that's how I feel. Can't wait for the third one now. The death scene was so damn emotional, Andrew Garfield knocked it out of the park right there.

Harry Knowles found this disappointing. Harry Knowles. It might be the first less than gushing review he's posted in years.

Just got back!

First of all. I liked the first film, but that was only because Garfield and Stone were so fantastic! I remember leaving the theater feeling a little empty, but as I watched it a few more times I began to like it a lot more. Probably just the Spidey fan-boy in me talking. But over the past year or so I think I've been able to push that fan-boy aside and everytime I've watched it again, it has kinda fallen apart. The Lizard did nothing for me and everything else felt so dull, except for any scenes with Peter and Gwen. Don't get me wrong however, I still like the film. Probably my second favorite of the franchise behind Spider-Man 2.

Now on to The Amazing Spider-Man 2. I was obviously really looking forward to this. The fan-boy talking again! But over the past month or so and seeing all the mediocre reviews, my expectations fell quite a bit. I was just going to relax and go in with an open mind, something I've never done with a Spidey film. I've always gone in with expectations through the roof. At the same time, I wasn't going to let any review impact me in such a way where I wasn't looking forward to it at all. Well, I'm proud to say that I'm extremely happy that I went in with an open mind because I really really enjoyed this! Really the first time I've walked out of a Spider-Man film this excited since Spider-Man 1 & 2.

First a few negatives. Max Dillon pre-Electro was pretty corny. Luckily there really is only a few scenes.
The scene where he is shaving in the mirror talking about Spidey is pretty bad.
Giamatti was a bit of a waste, but at the same time, he didn't need to be in the film much at all. The beginning chase sequence was great, and the end was just to set up the Sinister Six I'm sure. So I was okay with it. The only thing was Giamatti was quite hammy. But it didn't hurt the film because of how little he was in it. Marton Csokas as Dr. Kafka was cringe-worthy, but again, only a couple scenes so not that big of a deal. And Electro overall did feel a bit of a waste. But I didn't go in expecting this film to be all about Electro. It really wasn't and that was okay but other than the Time Square sequence, the only other big scene with him was the Power Plant battle.

As far as the good, I'm not going to describe everything because there was quite a bit that I liked. Garfield and Stone duh! AMAZING together! No doubt about it! DeHaan was great, Field was great. The action was spectacular. The down moments were never dull or boring. And the many emotional scenes between Garfield and Stone, and Garfield and Field were all incredible. I really can't say enough about Andrew Garfield though. He is so fantastic as Peter Parker and Spider-Man. What a great actor! Spidey's humor, quips and jokes are corny, but it's Spider-Man, they're all suppose to be. The visuals were amazing as well.
And the last 20 minutes or so are just perfectly executed and so so heartbreaking. My eyes were filled with tears during the death scene.

Overall I loved the bad place out of this film, except for a few corny supporting characters, but I'm able to look past that because really no of it was a big part of the film. In my opinion, the film didn't feel bloated or bogged down by the so called "3 villain" storyline. Rhino is in the film for like 2 minutes. Electro really is just a supporting villain; Harry's pawn in the end. Even though Harry's eventual downfall feels a bit rushed, it still isn't a big problem in my eyes and in the end it really pays off. I really loved this film. I'm excited to see it many more times and really can't wait for the third! I don't want to put a number on it now until I see it a few more times. Like I said, my rating with the first Amazing Spider-Man has fluctuated quite a bit. But...a 8 or 9 out of 10 would probably be a good place for now :D

The Rhino character, just wtf? Who watched that and thought let's put this in the movie?

I was thinking the same thing. Never have I seen Giamatti give a more jarring performance. For that matter, how in the bad place did he even accept such a role? He was an incomprehensible goofball for the entirety of the movie; hardly the kind of individual that I'd expect any sort of villainous mastermind to entrust with a high tech armor, let alone a squirt gun.

Electro? Wasted for the duration of the film as he's sidelined in a cell while Peter and Gwen's "relationship" drags the whole way through. Not unlike what was done with Whiplash in IM2, or Harry Osborn himself in SM3. This movie was all over the place...a cluster**** from end to end.

just got out and all I have to say is WOW!

wow...this movie is....just terrible. Like really really bad. Like, I'll gladly watch Spider-Man 3 before I see this film again.

The pacing was EVERYWHERE. The writing was subpar. The action was very limited, however, I thought the action was pretty okay. The effects were okay. Acting was pretty bland, aside from Andrew/Emma chemistry.

The only thing I liked about this film was the *SNAP/BUMP*. It was the only emotional investment I had in this movie. Sad to see her go, but we all knew it was coming.

Electro was okay. Green Goblin was forced and not needed.

This was a 2.5 hour commercial for the Sinister Six. A very bad 2.5 hour long commercial. The film was just everywhere. Wasn't cohesive at all. If people complained about the Man of Steel pacing, I can't imagine how they sat through this movie.

what a waste of some decent ideas.

If there's anything positive to say, it's still better than the first.

***edited to add

the film score. Holy Moses. So out of place in some scenes. It seriously ruined some scenes. And then they had awful pop music in a scene and ruined everything.

AND DOES EVERYBODY IN NEW YORK USE SONY PRODUCTS?! COME ON.

Last edited:
I know im probably in the minority when i say this but... this movie was garbage. There was a good 10min of heartwarming scenes between gwen & peter... but surrounded by inexcusably horrible scenes that look like they came straight out of a Schumacher batman film (nazi mad scientist spouting out cliches)... and cgi action scenes that belong in a video cutscene (does nothing in this film but create noise)...along with hans zimmer dubstep that plays everytime electro opens his mouth.

And is it me or is every conversation between aunt may and peter always turn into a dramatic argument?... that's getting real old... like yoda Aunt May in the raimi films and worried alfred in nolan films.

There's an epic list of things wrong with this film. Almost like this movie had two different directors....Marc Webb directed the 10min of gwen and aunt may scenes.... then schumacher stepped in.

My initial reaction is that it's worse than spidey3... but it's probably really on par with that colossal failure.

4 out of 10...

and a side note.... the after credits X-Men scene was wasted money. That was the most out of context scene they could possibly find...served absolutely NO purpose whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"