Comics The Amazing Spider-Man 616 general discussion

I don't know who my favorite Spider-Man writer is. At the risk of sounding cliche, I will go with Stan Lee at this point.

For me it's a tie between Roger Stern and Peter David. Paul Jenkins is pretty high up there too.

What are some of your favorite story arcs?

Does anyone here like any of the TASM annuals? I can think of a few that I actually like, such as the Peter Parker/MJ wedding, but for the most part I think they add very little to the Spider-Man history.

Does anyone here like any of the TASM annuals? I can think of a few that I actually like, such as the Peter Parker/MJ wedding, but for the most part I think they add very little to the Spider-Man history.

for favorite Annuals, I gotta go old school and pick the first two with the first Sinister Six appearance and with the first teamup ever with Dr. Strange, just for the pure nostalgia and fun of both issues... along with all the bonus extra goodies they crammed into both issues... those stories just can't be beat and you just can't go wrong with those two... especially back then when you got your 25 cents worth apiece...:up:

The first Annual with the Sinister Six is fantastic. Probably the best annual of all IMO. But later on they become so lackluster. I just read Annual #16 with the second "Captain Marvel." That was painful to read.

And right before that was an issue with… *sigh* … Stilt Man. Yes, the main with mechanical stilts. :dry:

the first two were really enjoyable, the third with the Avengers recruiting Spidey, not TOO bad, but not great... the fourth with the Mysterio/Wizard teamup I throw up on... the fifth with Pete's parents was a great read when I was a kid, but re-reading it now only shows me how lame a story it really was... I never really enjoyed any annual after that with the exception of the Doctor Doom one called Bend Sinister... I THINK I liked the next one with the Punisher and Doc Ock, but it's been so long that I've forgotten what it was about...

I actually liked the Annual with Peter's parents, but that's just me. I remember an Annual with the Punisher and Doc Ock, and really disliked it.

I remember an Annual with the Human Torch. Had something to do with filming a movie… was that the second?

I enjoy Invasion of the Spider-Slayers, Return of the Sinister Six, and Lifetheft to name a few.

For more recent, I enjoyed the Hobgoblin arc right before Superior. (695-697?)

I haven't really read any recent issues since One More Day. :(

Right now I started reading the classics again (after finishing all of the Peter Parker USM issues) and am currently up to TASM #238 (1st Hobgoblin). So excited to read this…

Though I may start reading the relaunch of TASM coming out, so we'll see.

I actually liked the Annual with Peter's parents, but that's just me. I remember an Annual with the Punisher and Doc Ock, and really disliked it.

I remember an Annual with the Human Torch. Had something to do with filming a movie… was that the second?

that was the lame-ass fourth Annual... pitiful...

Yeah it was really lame. How about the short-lived 'Giant-Sized Spider-Man' series? I think the first one was about Morbius if I'm not mistaken.

So far, I think Spider-Man's 2 worst encounters were with "The Foolkiller," the guy who kills fools, and "Stilt-Man." :doh:

Yeah it was really lame. How about the short-lived 'Giant-Sized Spider-Man' series? I think the first one was about Morbius if I'm not mistaken.

So far, I think Spider-Man's 2 worst encounters were with "The Foolkiller," the guy who kills fools, and "Stilt-Man." :doh:

the first Giant-Size had Dracula in it, I believe... what YOU'RE thinking of is Giant Size Superheroes #1 with Morbs...

speaking of lame-o villains like FoolKiller, I was never a fan of the Spot, White Rabbit, the Hypno-Hustler, the Big Wheel and the Rocket Racer...

I sort of like Rocket Racer, at least the version from the 90s animated series.

Racer and Hypno were merely products of their time back then... the late 70's-early 80's... skateboarding and disco... :whatever:

I don't even remember Hypno, but they certainly sound like products of their time. Isn't it amazing that most of Spider-Man's greatest villains were popping up in every other early issue of TASM?

TASM1 - Chamelion
TASM2 - Vulture
TASM3 - Doc Ock
TASM4 - Sandman
TASM6 - Lizard
TASM9 - Electro
TASM10- Enforcers
TASM14 - Green Goblin
TASM15 - Kraven
TASM20 - Scorpion
TASM24 - Mysterio
TASM25 - Spencer Smyth/Spider Slayers

I don't even remember Hypno, but they certainly sound like products of their time. Isn't it amazing that most of Spider-Man's greatest villains were popping up in every other early issue of TASM?

TASM1 - Chamelion
TASM2 - Vulture
TASM3 - Doc Ock
TASM4 - Sandman
TASM6 - Lizard
TASM9 - Electro
TASM10- Enforcers
TASM13 - Mysterio
TASM14 - Green Goblin
TASM15 - Kraven
TASM20 - Scorpion
TASM25 - Spencer Smyth/Spider Slayers
TASM28 - Molten Man
TASM46 - Shocker
TASM50 - Kingpin

fixed one and added three of my favorites that I'm guilty of enjoying...

going back to almost the beginning, I gotta say that my fave arcs back then, other than the OBVIOUS choice of the classic Master Planner storyline from TASM #31-33, were the Goblin/CrimeMaster storyline from TASM26-27, the Kingpin arc from TASM50-52 and the Doc Ock/KaZar/Spider Slayer connecting arc from TASM53-58...

Some good choices you have there!

I originally thought Molten Man was so/so, but later on they brought him back and added more depth to his character. He turned out to be Liz Allen's brother (I think) and he was telling her how horrible it is to not be able to make physical contact with anyone, and how lonely his life is. After his defeat, you felt really sorry for him. Tragic villain story right there.

Some good choices you have there!

I originally thought Molten Man was so/so, but later on they brought him back and added more depth to his character. He turned out to be Liz Allen's brother (I think) and he was telling her how horrible it is to not be able to make physical contact with anyone, and how lonely his life is. After his defeat, you felt really sorry for him. Tragic villain story right there.

I grew up with Spidey as a kid in the 60's, so I have a fondness for the Molten Man, even though back then, he was just a punk who tried to buffalo Spencer Smythe and wound up getting covered by a molten alloy... he never showed up again for a LONG time and when he DID, THAT'S when we discovered he was Liz Allan's brother... and what's funny was that TASM28 was his first appearance and also the issue where Liz graduated high school... maybe he was planning on attending his sister's graduation, but plans changed when he got sent to the clink, I guess...

Amazing Spider-Man #1 to #251 is the BEST arc. :up:

:yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"