The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man (First Reactions: Critics, Fans) (Spoiler Alert) - - - - - Part 14

him struggling and webswinging was just awesome! yea i do agree the fights were a bit short but sure as hell ****in sweet!

defiantly.

Tbh, if with all they tried to cover, I'm not surprised really the fights where short. But they where great.

Seeing spidey really struggle is what I enjoyed. You saw the fights REALLY affect him. I want more of this. I do hope they go as, if not more, brutal in the next film. It truly had me going,
during the crane bit after he was shot, when he was limping and then started to run through the pain, ha me on the edge of my seat going, ironically, 'GO SPIDEY, GO' (btw, I HATE that scene in Sm2 lol)

I know you weren't keen on the music, but the music in this film, in especially in moments like this, really felt inspirational IMO.

This is a much better interpretation of Spider-man. The way he moves, acts, talks... it's all brilliant. His webbing functions in much more interesting and accurate ways. The weakest part was the lizard cgi. They should have handled it like older monster movies and shown alot less of him. Editing was just bizarre at times. I loved the soundtrack for the most part, but the music during the school fight was really stupid. It was the happiest most upbeat piece in the whole movie and it happened while Lizard was trying to kill Spider-man. This movie took a lot more risks and as a result has so much more personality and quirkiness to it, Peter and Gwen feel like real people.

If it were up to me I wouldn't have...
*Tied Parkers parents directly to spider cross species genetics. Too on the nose. Them working at Oscorp would've been enough.
*Have the web shooters be invented almost entirely by Oscorp. Parker should have been responsible for the finished web formula.
And there were a couple things that just seemed like awkward ways to tell us something about Connors...
*Lizard mixing explosive chemicals in the middle of a fight. A lame way of showing that he retained his intelligence.
*Having Connors save Parker from falling down the side a building. A lame way of showing Connors wasn't evil.
Is it just me, or was there no explanation why the spider bite gave Parker powers?

Last edited:
Jesus, down to 71% on RT. Why isn't the user rating getting updated?

Léo Ho Tep;23722435 said:
Agreed about the sewer fight scene. They should definitely have made it longer.

The cranes scene is awesome, because it really show how heroic Peter became. You really see him grow as a character, and it's great.

The way he tries to run and limps and then breaks into a full run gave me shivers
Also when he falls down suddenly and a crane brings up.Awesome that was

This film does not deserve 71 in the slightest.
A CBM rating site is not one we need, but one we deserve. Since I will be seeing the movie in a matter of hours, I am not even checking RT anymore. Time to be my own critic.

Last edited:
defiantly.

Tbh, if with all they tried to cover, I'm not surprised really the fights where short. But they where great.

Seeing spidey really struggle is what I enjoyed. You saw the fights REALLY affect him. I want more of this. I do hope they go as, if not more, brutal in the next film. It truly had me going,
during the crane bit after he was shot, when he was limping and then started to run through the pain, ha me on the edge of my seat going, ironically, 'GO SPIDEY, GO' (btw, I HATE that scene in Sm2 lol)

I know you weren't keen on the music, but the music in this film, in especially in moments like this, really felt inspirational IMO.

Yeah that moment was epic
The music fits most scenes really really well like Uncle Ben's death and his obsessed vigilance after that
What I wasnt impressed with was the main theme song

yeah, you couldn't help but encourage him :)

No, not yet. My showing starts at 1:10pm today. I should be back around 4ish I suppose, so I will post my review then!

I wish you the best. I only asked because you seem so wrapped up in the RT score. You won't be after you see the film :)

I wish you the best. I only asked because you seem so wrapped up in the RT score. You won't be after you see the film :)

lol. I saw it and can't help but think 'how the hell is this film in the low 70?'

Well that's great to hear! Thank you! :) I am sooo excited! Seeing this in IMAX, too, so I will say whether or not the extra cost is worth it or not in my review.

Really though most of the negative reviews just say this film was unnecessary or unoriginal, but their loss of enjoyment I guess. A reboot like this just cannot be rated fairly overall.

lol. I saw it and can't help but think 'how the hell is this film in the low 70?'

It's not a perfect film, but I think that the main reasons for not liking it are the ones you already have before going to see it. It being a reboot. Just its nature, without rating its quality, has offended many.

The good thing is, it's done the hard work and now I honestly think the sequel has the chance to be right at the top the CB movie listings.

This is true. The score for TASM is not indicative of its quality, just the fact that critics don't approve of a reboot that is a partial remake so soon. 95%+ of the negative reviews are just negative that it is a partial remake and reboot.

You'll watch it and completely ignore the RT score because it really is quite good. I think it'll get more appreciation after the sequel launches and the character development really pays off.

It's not a perfect film, but I think that the main reasons for not liking it are the ones you already have before going to see it. It being a reboot. Just its nature, without rating its quality, has offended many.

The good thing is, it's done the hard work and now I honestly think the sequel has the chance to be right at the top the CB movie listings.
If the sequel is done right, it could be up there with SM2, TDK, and Avengers. To me those three are the very best comic book films. Also, TASM would be appreciated a lot more if the franchise goes in the right direction. This film is laying the foundation for the sequels.

okay so here's my review:

So how was the Amazing Spider-Man you ask? Without pulling a pun from it’s title name, this movie is really so much more than that.

First off let me say, if all you want to see is Spider-Man, Spider-Man, and more Spider-Man, then…well you’ll probably be disappointed. That’s right, this movie isn’t all about Spider-Man, but much more the man behind the mask, his alter ego. This is THE story of Peter Parker, the boy before he became a hero. Oh boy, does it deliver. On. Every. Single. Level. More than anything is that it’s first and foremost a character driven piece, with the Cast carrying you along with them on their journey taking you on a whirl of emotions from tear-jerking scenes to scenes that make you almost wanna jump for joy.

Andrew Garfield nails the role of Parker, like he is more than up there with Evans and RDJ in the perfect casting. So much so that I won’t be surprised if he is my new spider-man voice I hear when reading the comics (taking over the legendary Chris Barnes). Honestly, right down to the awkward twitches he does to the way he talks and carries himself, this is the true Parker. I didn’t have doubt in my mind he couldn’t pull it off, but he doesn’t just pull it off, but shines outstandingly in the role too. It’ll be hard to imagine anyone else topping his performance. Emma Stone is incredible as Gwen Stacy as well, cute and flirtatious, but also quite fearless yet vulnerable. Martin Sheen and Sally Field own their respective roles, both of them were really great. Flash is even really great in this as well, much more than just a cameo.

Rys Ifans as Doc Conners/Lizard was really good, I loved his arc in the movie and how it was resolved. I just wish they had more time with him, to be able to invest in him more, as it seemed quite rushed once he actually turned, and I don’t know if I like his voice or not…I’m sure it’s one of them things I’ll warm up to after multiple viewings but it just seemed like the voice didn’t really fit the face, and I think he should have had a longer tongue or something but I did like the fact that Lizard talked like in the comics I thought that was great.

I absolutely loved the story, and didn’t necessarily think it’s the ‘simple’ storyline, as many others do but honestly, sometimes, simple just works better and in this case it definitely does. (seriously, did no one get taught K.I.S.S. at school?) but it’s also full of heavy-impacted themes and messages which I absolutely love. This is the story of a young orphan trying to find who he is, he gets bullied, gets into arguments with his aunt and Uncle, raids the whole fridge, makes mistakes, and basically has teen tantrums that all of us have had at least once in our lifetime.
The CGI I thought was spectacular, par a few shots of Lizard, and the practical web-slinging definitely adds to the experience I think an audience member would want to feel if one was to really be able to webswing. The editing was a bit off at times, sometimes it felt rushed like after
Ben’s death, I just wish they hung on that shot for a couple more seconds, as I think by cutting it the way they did it took away from some of the impact it had, like I had tears in my eyes at that point and I think if they held that scene a bit longer I would have been bawling.)
The only things that I didn’t really like was the Lizard’s voice and how after the bridge Ratha seems forgotten about. I’m not too sure on how I feel about him
not creating the web fluid but he did create the webshooters which I think kind of makes it okay in my book. Parker is really smart, but not like genius smart.
but that’s few and far between and are literally nitpicks as to how awesome the movie is.

I don’t know what else I can say this movie is one of the emotional engaging movies I’ve ever seen let alone a comic book movie, but in all honesty, it didn’t feel like a comic book movie really but every other kind of movie rolled into one. It’s only the things such as when you remember he can climb walls and do fancy stuff that the comic book part comes into play, but even so Parker is so relatable at times you forget he even has powers. Overall it’s superb film all around, great story, great characters, great action and drama and romance and even a little bit of thriller mixed in too. Honestly this should have been the first.

That’s it, probably ask me questions and it’ll come flooding lol

edit: My 2000th post!! aww yeah!!

edit 2: i tried to put it in spoiler tags but it didn't work :(

Last edited:

The guy Marlow Stern from Newsweek tweeted yesterday that disliking a movie because you object to it existing is ridiculous. See the movie and judge it on its own

okay so here's my review:

So how was the Amazing Spider-Man you ask? Without pulling a pun from it’s title name, this movie is really so much more than that.

First off let me say, if all you want to see is Spider-Man, Spider-Man, and more Spider-Man, then…well you’ll probably be disappointed. That’s right, this movie isn’t all about Spider-Man, but much more the man behind the mask, his alter ego. This is THE story of Peter Parker, the boy before he became a hero. Oh boy, does it deliver. On. Every. Single. Level. More than anything is that it’s first and foremost a character driven piece, with the Cast carrying you along with them on their journey taking you on a whirl of emotions from tear-jerking scenes to scenes that make you almost wanna jump for joy.

Andrew Garfield nails the role of Parker, like he is more than up there with Evans and RDJ in the perfect casting. So much so that I won’t be surprised if he is my new spider-man voice I hear when reading the comics (taking over the legendary Chris Barnes). Honestly, right down to the awkward twitches he does to the way he talks and carries himself, this is the true Parker. I didn’t have doubt in my mind he couldn’t pull it off, but he doesn’t just pull it off, but shines outstandingly in the role too. It’ll be hard to imagine anyone else topping his performance. Emma Stone is incredible as Gwen Stacy as well, cute and flirtatious, but also quite fearless yet vulnerable. Martin Sheen and Sally Field own their respective roles, both of them were really great. Flash is even really great in this as well, much more than just a cameo.

Rys Ifans as Doc Conners/Lizard was really good, I loved his arc in the movie and how it was resolved. I just wish they had more time with him, to be able to invest in him more, as it seemed quite rushed once he actually turned, and I don’t know if I like his voice or not…I’m sure it’s one of them things I’ll warm up to after multiple viewings but it just seemed like the voice didn’t really fit the face, and I think he should have had a longer tongue or something but I did like the fact that Lizard talked like in the comics I thought that was great.

I absolutely loved the story, and didn’t necessarily think it’s the ‘simple’ storyline, as many others do but honestly, sometimes, simple just works better and in this case it definitely does. (seriously, did no one get taught K.I.S.S. at school?) but it’s also full of heavy-impacted themes and messages which I absolutely love. This is the story of a young orphan trying to find who he is, he gets bullied, gets into arguments with his aunt and Uncle, raids the whole fridge, makes mistakes, and basically has teen tantrums that all of us have had at least once in our lifetime.
The CGI I thought was spectacular, par a few shots of Lizard, and the practical web-slinging definitely adds to the experience I think an audience member would want to feel if one was to really be able to webswing. The editing was a bit off at times, sometimes it felt rushed like after
Ben’s death, I just wish they hung on that shot for a couple more seconds, as I think by cutting it the way they did it took away from some of the impact it had, like I had tears in my eyes at that point and I think if they held that scene a bit longer I would have been bawling.)
The only things that I didn’t really like was the Lizard’s voice and how after the bridge Ratha seems forgotten about. I’m not too sure on how I feel about him
not creating the web fluid but he did create the webshooters which I think kind of makes it okay in my book. Parker is really smart, but not like genius smart.
but that’s few and far between and are literally nitpicks as to how awesome the movie is.

I don’t know what else I can say this movie is one of the emotional engaging movies I’ve ever seen let alone a comic book movie, but in all honesty, it didn’t feel like a comic book movie really but every other kind of movie rolled into one. It’s only the things such as when you remember he can climb walls and do fancy stuff that the comic book part comes into play, but even so Parker is so relatable at times you forget he even has powers. Overall it’s superb film all around, great story, great characters, great action and drama and romance and even a little bit of thriller mixed in too. Honestly this should have been the first.

That’s it, probably ask me questions and it’ll come flooding lol

edit: My 2000th post!! aww yeah!!

edit 2: i tried to put it in spoiler tags but it didn't work :(
:up:

okay so yesturday I said:

Oh and I tomorow I will also have the most unbiased review ever EVER. In short, my mate who went to see this with me....not a spidey fan turned spidey fan after tonight, never seen any of the Raimi films (or anything Spider-Man related), so this was her first introduction to Spider-Man. She's written a review and emailed it to me already so I'll post it tomorow. (as I seriously need sleep right now, my head is banging.)

so here is her review! :D

The Amazing Spider-Man is not called amazing for no reason, it really is AMAZING!

Superhero movies are not a favourite genre of mine, and I’m one of the rare people who hasn’t watched any of the batman or spider man movies. I’ve watched some of the most recent blockbuster hits like Avengers for instance, and I thought they were not bad, but I wouldn’t personally go and watch them, it’s my super geek friend Lisa (That's me by the way :D) who always drags me on an orange Wednesday.

So today off she dragged me, to see TAS at the imax complex in Manchester. To be honest I was a bit reluctant at first, as I’ve always assumed these sort of movies are for kids, and sort of immature, but the seats soon filled up, and there was only a handful of young kids there. So far so good, no screaming brats or popcorn throwing rascals, I donned my orange imax glasses and the movie began.

From the start of the movie, I was utterly compelled by the storyline. I couldn’t take my eyes off the screen as Mr Parker came on, all sexy-geek and sweet natured. Within the first 10 minutes I had tears in my eyes, as the initial storyline is surprisingly emotional.

One of the things that stands out to me about this film is the character development that takes place. Super hero movies I have watched in the past have never really impressed me with their character and storyline features, but I was witnessing Peter Parker growing from a young good hearted fella into a life saving, rooftop swinging hero, and the whole journey is depicted in this, even the cliché love interest, which was very predictable by the way.

I think the casting is spot on, Garfield is PERFECT as Peter, and I can’t think of any other rising star that could have played the role better. Emma Stone also performs impressively, and there is real on screen chemistry between the two of them.

Overall the thing I liked most about TAS was the fact the plot covered so many different themes; from bullying, love, comedy, death, revenge, survival, and the list goes on. One of the scenes I really loved was the crane scene, where the guy who had his son rescued by spiderman, returns the favour and provides an easy route for spiderman to reach the building and save his love and stop the city being plagued. It was a really good emphasis of karma.

I really cant get over how much I enjoyed the movie! Obviously I have an unbiased opinion because I haven’t watched any of the other spiderman films so I have nothing to compare it to, but this film has made me want to watch the other spiderman films! There was a couple of things that bugged me, like the way I didn’t get to see how he came about getting the famous red and blue suit, but my friend later informed me there was a longer scene expanding on him designing the suit, but it was cut shorter, quite a shame really because I personally would have liked to see it in the movie.

Also I wasn’t keen on the fact he got the web string material from a company, as I assumed he would have designed it himself with all his intelligence, and I thought it would have been a unique formula.

Besides the couple of plot features I didn’t grasp, the movie was fantastic. There was action, but it was in good proportion, and the 3d imax experience was unforgettable. I cant wait to see the sequel, matter of fact I cant wait to watch the older spider-man films. The amazing spider-man gets 11/10 score from me.

Last edited:
If you've seen 500 Days, you kinda caught a little of that in some of the scenes, mostly between Peter and Gwen. Webb did a good job here, I will give him that one. Keep him on, Marvel.

okay so yesturday I said:

so here is her review! :D

The Amazing Spider-Man is not called amazing for no reason, it really is AMAZING!

Superhero movies are not a favourite genre of mine, and I’m one of the rare people who hasn’t watched any of the batman or spider man movies. I’ve watched some of the most recent blockbuster hits like Avengers for instance, and I thought they were not bad, but I wouldn’t personally go and watch them, it’s my super geek friend Lisa (That's me by the way :D) who always drags me on an orange Wednesday.

So today off she dragged me, to see TAS at the imax complex in Manchester. To be honest I was a bit reluctant at first, as I’ve always assumed these sort of movies are for kids, and sort of immature, but the seats soon filled up, and there was only a handful of young kids there. So far so good, no screaming brats or popcorn throwing rascals, I donned my orange imax glasses and the movie began.

From the start of the movie, I was utterly compelled by the storyline. I couldn’t take my eyes off the screen as Mr Parker came on, all sexy-geek and sweet natured. Within the first 10 minutes I had tears in my eyes, as the initial storyline is surprisingly emotional.

One of the things that stands out to me about this film is the character development that takes place. Super hero movies I have watched in the past have never really impressed me with their character and storyline features, but I was witnessing Peter Parker growing from a young good hearted fella into a life saving, rooftop swinging hero, and the whole journey is depicted in this, even the cliché love interest, which was very predictable by the way.

I think the casting is spot on, Garfield is PERFECT as Peter, and I can’t think of any other rising star that could have played the role better. Emma Stone also performs impressively, and there is real on screen chemistry between the two of them.

Overall the thing I liked most about TAS was the fact the plot covered so many different themes; from bullying, love, comedy, death, revenge, survival, and the list goes on. One of the scenes I really loved was the crane scene, where the guy who had his son rescued by spiderman, returns the favour and provides an easy route for spiderman to reach the building and save his love and stop the city being plagued. It was a really good emphasis of karma.

I really cant get over how much I enjoyed the movie! Obviously I have an unbiased opinion because I haven’t watched any of the other spiderman films so I have nothing to compare it to, but this film has made me want to watch the other spiderman films! There was a couple of things that bugged me, like the way I didn’t get to see how he came about getting the famous red and blue suit, but my friend later informed me there was a longer scene expanding on him designing the suit, but it was cut shorter, quite a shame really because I personally would have liked to see it in the movie.

Also I wasn’t keen on the fact he got the web string material from a company, as I assumed he would have designed it himself with all his intelligence, and I thought it would have been a unique formula.

Besides the couple of plot features I didn’t grasp, the movie was fantastic. There was action, but it was in good proportion, and the 3d imax experience was unforgettable. I cant wait to see the sequel, matter of fact I cant wait to watch the older spider-man films. The amazing spider-man gets 11/10 score from me.

:up:

Such a dope movie..can't wait to see it again today with another big crowd. I'm still thinking about it and still in awe at how much I loved it. I gave my review yesterday but I think the best review came from a friend of mine who, admittedly, wasn't a fan of the first three movies. He calls me when he figures I'm out of the theater and says "I know what you're going to say and I'll say it for you: The movie was very very good. It was phenomenal. This is the movie they should've made first." He said more but those were the first words out of his mouth and to convert THAT dude? Marc Webb did his thing. Everyone I saw it with loved it and who doesn't want their friends to love what they love every now and then? (Unless it's the same woman)

With that said, I really wish Spidey had more villains who don't need to rely on cgi or prosthetics. I really feel like the lizard was a sore thumb in this flick because of the tone and where everything was going in being very street level and then this 9 ft lizard is in the mix. I would've loved for this movie to really deal with the underworld crime aspect of Spidey and seen a guy like tombstone or hammerhead or the big man or even Roderick Kingsley. I think the movie would've been better served to go that route but that doesn't take away from it at all, just a personal preference and a desire to see THAT aspect of Spidey played out on film. I can understand why they didn't go that route though (The batman comparisons would've been even MORE annoying lol)

About to watch it fir the 2nd time today, although this will be the first time I'm watching it in 3d.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"