The Amazing Spider-Man vs Man of Steel vs Spider-Man: Homecoming

Neither is Andrew Garfield's version. Holland is much closer.

Holland is pretty close. He's young. He's a science nerd. He gets bullied. He struggles with balancing being a superhero with his personal responsibilities in his civilian life. He is witty. He is well-meaning, but his ambition often exceeds his abilities.

As opposed to Garfield's self-serving, remorseless, "too cool for school" jock who stands up to bullies (even before he gets his powers), doesn't know basic science without looking it up, is obsessed with his birth parents (while not giving a crap about Ben and May), and looks like he stepped off the cover of Teen Beat. He's more Flash Thompson than Peter Parker.

Holland's supporting cast was changed quite a bit, but Parker himself is pretty close to what he should be.

Tom Holland's over-excited, desperate-to-impress Peter Parker is nothing like the comic version.

The very first Spider-man story after the origin is him eagerly trying to impress Marvel's premier team.

As someone who grew up reading and favoring adult Peter I understand some people's aversion to Holland, but it's always couched with how Spider-man is "supposed" to be and it's always clear that the person in question hasn't actually returned to the early ASM issues. Particularly if they want to hail pretty-boy promise-breaker Garfield as a more accurate version.

Last edited:
Spider-Man: Homecoming is good. Man of Steel has genuinely epic moments but is ultimately a muddle. And then no one remembers Amazing Spider-Man exists.

The very first Spider-man story after the origin is him eagerly trying to impress Marvel's premier team.

As someone who grew up reading and favoring adult Peter I understand some people's aversion to Holland, but it's always couched with how Spider-man is "supposed" to be and it's always clear that the person in question hasn't actually returned to the early ASM issues. Particularly if they want to hail pretty-boy promise-breaker Garfield as a more accurate version.

I will say Holland's Peter is a little.... too happy? He really never faces major consequences for his failings, academically or socially, in Homecoming other than Liz's dad going to prison means she moves away at the end. And it looks by the trailer that Aunt May discovering he is Spidey is going to be treated as a source of comedy too. I like Holland a lot and think he nails the character, but there is something about the MCU's blanket "life's a sitcomy party" vibe that does make their Peter Parker seem a little too glossy.

While it is literally a different character, I thought how they depicted the life of Miles Morales in Into the Spider-Verse was much more authentic to being a young person today and captured that kind of mix of joy and sorrow that is Spider-Man. Of course Peter too, but it's harder to compare 40-year-old Peter to a 16-year-old one.

With that said, yes Holland's performance is by far the best of the live-action Spider-Men.

I will say Holland's Peter is a little.... too happy? He really never faces major consequences for his failings, academically or socially, in Homecoming other than Liz's dad going to prison means she moves away at the end. And it looks by the trailer that Aunt May discovering he is Spidey is going to be treated as a source of comedy too. I like Holland a lot and think he nails the character, but there is something about the MCU's blanket "life's a sitcomy party" vibe that does make their Peter Parker seem a little too glossy.

Yeah, I can't really disagree with that. I overall prefer the Raimi take on the character, even if I prefer Holland's performance.

He does die, but that's a consequence of Star-Lord's failings, not his own. He could have stayed on the school bus and suffered the same outcome.

Holland is pretty close. He's young. He's a science nerd. He gets bullied. He struggles with balancing being a superhero with his personal responsibilities in his civilian life.

He doesn't seem to get bullied much or be bothered by it and it's far from because he's too smart or nerdy-quite a bunch of other students (including popular students Flash and Liz) are really smart too and his whole school is a private school for the scientifically gifted. It's not clear, or it's inconsistent, that Flash is more popular than him, at the least Flash is as or more unpopular with the other academic team members.

As opposed to Garfield's self-serving, remorseless, "too cool for school" jock who stands up to bullies (even before he gets his powers), doesn't know basic science without looking it up

LOL but yeah, those are true and thus the version is a pretty bad/not close adaptation but Holland's version, despite having some intelligence of his own, also seemed pretty apathetic-at-most about his school.

While it is literally a different character, I thought how they depicted the life of Miles Morales in Into the Spider-Verse was much more authentic to being a young person today and captured that kind of mix of joy and sorrow that is Spider-Man. Of course Peter too, but it's harder to compare 40-year-old Peter to a 16-year-old one.

With that said, yes Holland's performance is by far the best of the live-action Spider-Men.

Yeah Homecoming isn't a pitch-perfect representation of the character for a couple of reasons but my problems are generally minor and you've hit on a few of them here.

That said yeah, Holland is head and shoulders above the rest. If you could take his charm and youthful neuroses and also combine it McGuire's pathos you'd have a perfect Peter. I'm hoping Phase 4 (if they even call it that) will delve into this more but I'm not exactly holding my breathe.

Still haven't seen into the Spider-verse yet, which has blown the minds of everyone I know considering how huge of a Spider-man fan I am. Life's gotten in the way but I'm really excited about watching it on blu-ray.

my top 3 would be
#1 spider-man homecoming
#2 the amazing spider - man
# 3 man of steel

but to me nothing bests the tobey maguire movies!! i even enjoyed spider-man 3!!

Yeah Homecoming isn't a pitch-perfect representation of the character for a couple of reasons but my problems are generally minor and you've hit on a few of them here.

That said yeah, Holland is head and shoulders above the rest. If you could take his charm and youthful neuroses and also combine it McGuire's pathos you'd have a perfect Peter. I'm hoping Phase 4 (if they even call it that) will delve into this more but I'm not exactly holding my breathe.

Still haven't seen into the Spider-verse yet, which has blown the minds of everyone I know considering how huge of a Spider-man fan I am. Life's gotten in the way but I'm really excited about watching it on blu-ray.

Yeah, Holland does nail the character and is Peter Parker. I suppose my only issues are I wish the screenplays they give him would let him dig into Peter's more somber side. Maybe in Far From Home? (The trailer makes me think otherwise, but who knows?)

And yes, Spider-Verse is something special. My favorite superhero movie last year. Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

I like him as an actor so no shade throwing but personally I always thought Garfield was far too good looking to play Spider-Man lol it really never sat right with me.

Not saying Holland & Maguire are ugly or anything but I could always picture them being the class nerd, where as Garfield looked like a damn male model.

I like him as an actor so no shade throwing but personally I always thought Garfield was far too good looking to play Spider-Man lol it really never sat right with me.
This is Peter drawn by the most famous artist to work on the character.

CA_RomitaSelfPortrain1.jpg

Looks handsome to me, like an anime character handsome.

And here are pictures from 90s cartoons, the one on the left is too famous and spiraled the character's popularity.

2697657-untitled_2.jpg

Looks really handsome in both shows, I'm not sure why there are complaints about a handsome actor playing the character.

2697657-untitled_2.jpg

Has anyone noticed how the animated series Peter Parker looks a lot like Nicolas Hammond?

It's always amusing when someone decides someone else hasn't read the source material - then makes a fundamental error about it themselves. Peter Parker certainly was a pretty boy, and MJ and Gwen were all over him.

Also - you might remember this if you actually have read Amazing Spider-Man #1 - Spidey is trying to get a job with the FF because he thinks he'll get paid. Because he needs money. He's not trying to impress them because he's obsessed with being a major superhero, like the Holland version is.

amy-poehler-and-will-arnett-host-worldwide-orphans-foundations-seventh-annual-benefit-gala---arrivals.jpg
amy-poehler-and-will-arnett-host-worldwide-orphans-foundations-seventh-annual-benefit-gala---arrivals.jpg

w2eufwpduolumpok2qmo.png

Last edited:
It's always amusing when someone decides someone else hasn't read the source material - then makes a fundamental error about it themselves. Peter Parker certainly was a pretty boy, and MJ and Gwen were all over him.

The Peter Parker I read in comics wouldn't recklessly endanger lives in ways like walking in front of traffic and cause car accidents to impress a girl. He may accidentally underestimate a villain or something, but he wouldn't knowingly potentially cause people harm.

The Peter Parker I read in comics wouldn't recklessly endanger lives in ways like walking in front of traffic and cause car accidents to impress a girl. He may accidentally underestimate a villain or something, but he wouldn't knowingly potentially cause people harm.

There is a big difference between making mistakes and just not caring about collateral damage.

You and Aziz are conveniently forgetting the Ditko high school issues. Nothing says pretty boy like sweater vests and coke bottle glasses.

Also - you might remember this if you actually have read Amazing Spider-Man #1 - Spidey is trying to get a job with the FF because he thinks he'll get paid. Because he needs money. He's not trying to impress them because he's obsessed with being a major superhero, like the Holland version is.

So despite what you said earlier you don't mind Peter trying to impress other heroes as long as he's just doing it for money?

Even if there wasn't a basis in the source material for Peter idolizing more established heroes, that's a better take than a pretty boy who strings someone along after assuring her dead father he'd stay out of her life, skips his funeral, and breaks that promise to keep toying with her.

That sits well with you? Peter being a self-centered jerk is cool, but looking up to Tony Stark is just a bridge too far? Have your personal preferences but that makes zero sense to me, particularly if you want to bring comic fidelity into the discussion.

I'm also confused by your signature. You realize some estimates say Sony spent close to $300M on ASM 2, and only 175 on Homecoming?

Last edited:
Also, Pascal was stating how TASM2 was going to do a billion.

You and Aziz are conveniently forgetting the Ditko high school issues. Nothing says pretty boy like sweater vests and coke bottle glasses.
8 out of 41 issues (and two pages) with glasses must influence my view of how was drawn for an entire run with that art style of squishy faces. I wonder why I did not count the very very small number of issues like that.
:oldrazz:

Seems like a pretty important thing to mention considering Garfield was playing a pre-bite version of Peter yet still looked like an Old Navy model.

Not that it's my biggest qualm with his version, I actually think he could have been a fantastic mid-20's post-college Peter if given the opportunity.

This is Peter drawn by the most famous artist to work on the character.

CA_RomitaSelfPortrain1.jpg

Looks handsome to me, like an anime character handsome.

And here are pictures from 90s cartoons, the one on the left is too famous and spiraled the character's popularity.

2697657-untitled_2.jpg

Looks really handsome in both shows, I'm not sure why there are complaints about a handsome actor playing the character.

Yeah I get that but wasn't this the first look for the character?

Now im not saying he's bad looking but Holland & Maguire were always closer to this imo because they are both handsome guys but they can convey the dorky, angsty and awkward high school kid side of Spidey very well to. With Garfield I just got more a brooding hipster vibe. (great quips though)

Also, and for me this goes without saying, Garfield's lackluster Peter isn't the main reason I dislike those movies. It's certainly a factor but I could've looked past it had the movies been good. I wasn't over the moon about either McGuire or Dunst in the first two Spide-rman movies yet those were great, so it didn't matter all that much.

Good movies will supercede fanboy expectations.

I'm also confused by your signature. You realize some estimates say Sony spent close to $300M on ASM 2, and only 175 on Homecoming?

Want more evidence that Homecoming was a bigger success than TASM2? Simple: where is TASM3? Oh wait, it doesn't exist. Where is Homecoming 2? Comes out in July and is called Far From Home. Studios happy with BO returns don't reboot a series or partner with another company to make it.

Just saying.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Marvel Studio's unrecognized magic is their ability to actually keep budgets under control.

Want more evidence that Homecoming was a bigger success than TASM2? Simple: where is TASM3? Oh wait, it doesn't exist. Where is Homecoming 2? Comes out in July and is called Far From Home. Studios happy with BO returns don't reboot a series or partner with another company to make it.

Just saying.

Plus just read the leaked Sony emails, and you'll see even they thought very little of the TASM brand. I distinctly remember one even saying that Spider-Man 3 was better.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"