The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spiderman 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
74% and up is progression. 760M WW and up is progressive. Above and beyond is gravy. Nuff' said.

says the guy who logs on to a specific spoiler review thread on a spiderman fan section of a comic book community forum on a sub forum for a sequel to a spiderman movie. Hah!

xd!!!!!!!!!!!

He's a guy who posts very regularly on a spiderman forum - who watches the movies and plays the games that are all spiderman related. But isn't a fan? Nice work Marvel and Sony, even the non fans are spending money! That's surely a customer segment they hadn't planned for rofl

3221507-2307282-55860_jj_jameson_laughing_meme_1.jpg

276249_Papel-de-Parede-Meme-Pfftch_1920x1200.jpg

LOL!

I'm sure it will be - it's not exactly as polarising as it looked to be originally in terms of score. I'm not sure who'd described it as follows, but even so, i'm happy with this: "even the good reviews are biting back something" - it was something to that effect, that the good reviews still had some nitpicks, things that were obviously holding the movie back. And that's fine - as long as it's enjoyable and at least better than TASM

Avenging Spidey, I just wanna thank you for all the links you've been providing :)

Avenging Spidey, I just wanna thank you for all the links you've been providing :)

You're welcome, my friend. Happy with the SFX magazine, 4/5 and yet it points quite well the problems that the film have, which aren't all within the film itself, but how it was promoted. I liked how the reviewer acknowledged that this film is a must see and seems almost contained to give away more spoilers.

Can't wait to see more reviews and hopefully that score going up.

I'd be happy if it ended up in the 70's-80's but I would be extremely happy if it ended up in the 90's. However, I feel Webb's movies are so stacked against themselves because a lot of people, especially critics, are deeply fond of the Raimi films.

It's the same with the "Superman" Donner films vs. Snyder's. Granted, Snyder's "Man of Steel" isn't a perfect movie (there are notable flaws) but it didn't deserve the bludgeoning it got from critics. I would've had it in the upper 70's. I feel, though, "Batman vs. Superman" will face the same scrutiny from the critics because with the inclusion of Batman, the critics will only want to see Bale as Batman and compare it to the Nolan films because it's so fresh in their minds.

But as I say this, I too run into a problem where I love the old TMNT films so much and what came before that I have so many reservations about the reboot and what's being done to it. It seems to me I can accept more of Webb's changes as a Spider-Man fan more than I can as a Turtles fan. Granted, the 90's TMNT movies aren't masterpieces by any means, but I still get a kick out of watching them still to this day.

I was a big fan of the Sam Raimi Spider-Man. It seemed to embody the comics pretty well and was quite close to the tone of what Stan Lee and Steve Ditko created back in the early 60s. Then along came Marc Webb with a reboot, after what felt like 3 weeks following Spider-Man 3. I liked it, it wasn’t necessarily a bad movie, but it really didn’t feel like a true Spidey movie. Taking far too much influence from Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight it was dark. Far too dark. And now, it’s got a sequel which is a million miles away from the first Marc Webb directed movie. I hate to say it, but I’ve forgotten about the Raimi versions. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is the best web slinger movie to date.

For whatever reason, Marc Webb has turned the Spider-Man franchise in a brand new direction and moved well away from his first attempt at Spidey. It’s fun, it’s hilarious, it’s spectacular. While as cheesy as it sounds, it really is amazing. However, the movie isn’t without its problems. While not a major gripe or movie killer, the pacing lags a bit in the middle. It just kinda sags for about 15 minutes too long. Again, its not enough to derail the movie by any stretch, but it is noticeable. Probably more so by the superb action the precedes it. But to be fair, once this lag ends, the movie just screams ahead. There was a big concern about having too many villains here.

Many people (myself included) wondered had Marc Webb learned from Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man 3, where too many villans seem to bring the movie to a grinding halt. While I feel those criticisms were unfair for Raimi, you can’t really land similar criticisms at Webb’s door. Simply because the Green Goblin, and Rhino in particular don’t have a whole lot of screen time. There not exactly an after thought either and serve their purpose, especially from the Oscorp point of view as they just move the franchise along for the next movie.
The Amazing Spider-Man is the best Spidey movie to date. Its spectacular, its funny, its got heart and its a must see!

A literal rave from TheMovieBit, this review gets me pumped beyond belief. :woot:

People need to caaaalm down. Christ, a few negative ratings and a few drops on the RT meter and everyone's all "OMG WE'LL BE LUCKY IF IT GETS A 60%", "I HAVE NO FAITH IN THIS FILM NOW D:"... damn, man.

The film still has a 76% and 8.1/10 on IMDB... and this is before it's even released widely, so what's the problem? It comes out over here in 2 days, if the meter and whatnot still keeps dropping past 70 after then... THEN you should panic.

The problem is clear
TASM had about 93% till about 40 odd reviews. The final score is 73%

It dropped 20 points, so a drop of 10 is a minimum here

A literal rave from TheMovieBit, this review gets me pumped beyond belief. :woot:

From the same website that said:

It’s not perfect and the flaws don’t detract from the overall experience. Jon Favreau has delivered yet again and Iron Man 2 is bigger, better and louder than the first one and is thoroughly enjoyable and a must watch!!!

http://www.themoviebit.com/2010/04/iron-man-2-review.html

And gave Iron Man 3 five stars: http://www.themoviebit.com/2013/04/iron-man-3-review.html

Not to rain on your parade but I'm taking that review from that website with a pinch of salt.

The problem is clear
TASM had about 93% till about 40 odd reviews. The final score is 73%

It dropped 20 points, so a drop of 10 is a minimum here

I think you're just ****ting your pants over nothing. Let the film release widely first. I doubt it's going to drop below the first film's score.

I want to say once again that STID was stuck in the 70s range for quite some time before it worked its way up to the 80s. Not saying that will definitely be the case here, but there isn't a rule that says a movie will ONLY drop over time. Let's at least wait until Wednesday (April 16th) to see where the score goes.

From the same website that said:

http://www.themoviebit.com/2010/04/iron-man-2-review.html

And gave Iron Man 3 five stars: http://www.themoviebit.com/2013/04/iron-man-3-review.html

Not to rain on your parade but I'm taking that review from that website with a pinch of salt.

Having seen The Winter Soldier, I'd say that Iron Man 3 is still the best solo Marvel Studios film, with TWS ranking shortly behind.

And that's not just my opinion, it's the opinion from many other mainstream websites.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ryan/iron-man-3-review_b_3151542.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...-12-years-a-slave-and-the-best-films-of-2013/

http://whatculture.com/film/10-reasons-iron-man-3-is-the-best-of-the-series.php

And there are many others. Regardless, not sure why you are so hellbent trying to discredit a website that gave The Amazing Spider-Man 2 a rave review, but to each his own. :whatever:

Just one more thing: I don't see you coming against IGN's review, the same website that gave Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance an 8 while giving less scores to the Amazing Spider-Man films, but I guess that at this point, all of us here are already used to read your posts and opinions with a pinch of salt. :007

Having seen The Winter Soldier, I'd say that Iron Man 3 is still the best solo Marvel Studios film, with TWS ranking shortly behind.

I wouldn't. The critical ratings and general user ratings sure don't reflect that either. TWS is infinitely better, IMO.

Three websites is not many other mainstream websites.

Regardless, not sure why you are so hellbent trying to discredit a website that gave The Amazing Spider-Man 2 a rave review, but to each his own.

I commented on this because I recognized them from previous reviews, specifically the Iron Man movies and how their opinions were sure not reflective of the consensus.

If that's being "hellbent" on trying to discredit it, then I'm the King of England.

http://whatculture.com/film/7-reasons-why-iron-man-3-is-an-awful-film.php

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2013/05/10-reasons-to-hate-the-terrible-iron-man-3/

Just one more thing: I don't see you coming against IGN's review, the same website that gave Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance an 8 while giving less scores to the Amazing Spider-Man films

You never even saw me comment on IGN's review when it came out. If you had you'd know I didn't put any stock in it at all.

but I guess that at this point, all of us here are already used to read your posts and opinions with a pinch of salt.

You're living proof that's not true. You don't speak on the behalf of anyone else besides yourself either.

Last edited:
I wouldn't. The critical ratings and general user ratings sure don't reflect that either. TWS is infinitely better, IMO.

Three websites is not many other mainstream websites. Any ones you can find

I commented on this because I recognized them from previous reviews, specifically the Iron Man movies and how their opinions were sure not reflective of the consensus.

If that's being "hellbent" on trying to discredit it, then I'm the King of England.

http://whatculture.com/film/7-reasons-why-iron-man-3-is-an-awful-film.php

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2013/05/10-reasons-to-hate-the-terrible-iron-man-3/

You never even saw me comment on IGN's review when it came out. If you had you'd know I didn't put any stock in it at all.

You're living proof that's not true. You don't speak on the behalf of anyone else besides yourself either.

I'm not even reading what you are writing, dude. That's how much I value your opinion when it comes to this franchise. Sorry, no hard feelings. :woot:

I'm not even reading what you are writing, dude. That's how much I value your opinion when it comes to this franchise. Sorry, no hard feelings.

Sure you're not. That's why you always reply to my posts point by point every time. Like a moth to the flame. This latest response is just a cheap fob off because you can't refute what I said.

You guys are so cute. Y'all make the boards worth reading.

The movie could land in the 50s just as easily as it could land in the 80s. I haven't made up my mind about where the film will land critically yet.

There seems to be this odd misconception that UK reviewers are somehow easier on movies? What? No, it's because there are fewer critics in the UK than here in the states. We get a larger sample size and therefore a clear indication on the consensus for the movie once it's released here.

There's a reason the consensus hasn't been written on RT yet -_-

If I had to guess the consensus will read something like this.

Though cluttered at times, this Spider-Man sequel succeeds with chemistry between its leads, great action sequences and emotional punch that leaves you wanting more.

Last edited:
The movie could land in the 50s just as easily as it could land in the 80s. I haven't made up my mind about where the film will land critically yet.

There seems to be this odd misconception that UK reviewers are somehow easier on movies? What? No, it's because there are fewer critics in the UK than here in the states. We get a larger sample size and therefore a clear indication on the consensus for the movie once it's released here.

There's a reason the consensus hasn't been written on RT yet -_-
Like I said, we have to wait and see where the movie goes in a couple of days. It gets released on April 16th, so a wave of reviews will come in on Wednesday probably.

Telling y'all it's gonna settle in or around mid 70's. Probably a couple of percent above TASM.

I want to say once again that STID was stuck in the 70s range for quite some time before it worked its way up to the 80s. Not saying that will definitely be the case here, but there isn't a rule that says a movie will ONLY drop over time. Let's at least wait until Wednesday (April 16th) to see where the score goes.

Yes I remember that as well, and that is what I thinking and hoping it will be the case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"