The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The Amazing Spiderman 2 - User Review Thread! - SPOILERS! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I remember that as well, and that is what I thinking and hoping it will be the case here.
I would certainly hope for that to happen, though Star Trek Into Darkness didn't have the same negative buzz for being a reboot (in fact, it was praised for rebooting the ST franchise). TASM2 has a bigger uphill battle, so you never know. But I think audiences won't be so harsh and their score should be in the 80s.

If I recall, there were also criticisms of too much going on and the villain having weak motivations in STID.

@fudgie

Wouldn't even have an issue with that. People in here are acting like they've never enjoyed a movie that's landed in the 70s.....

:woot:
@fudgie

Wouldn't even have an issue with that. People in here are acting like they've never enjoyed a movie that's landed in the 70s.....

Iron Man 3 is still my favorite solo Marvel Studios film and has a 78% score on RT.

@fudgie

yeah some people are too OTT. There are many great movies with lower ratings out there and as long as you enjoy the movie its rating shouldn't be a problem

There are also movies that have high ratings that I don't care for. At the end of the day it's your opinion that counts most.

5/10 review from House of Geekery

http://houseofgeekery.com/2014/04/15...se-of-electro/

Pros
- Peter and Gwen remain heart of the film and are loveable characters
- Dane Dehaan's performance
- Sally Field is good even though they don't give her much story
- The effects for Spidey's movements and the action

Cons
- Electro is weak villain and is later just Harry's lackey and there are some odd scenes with Max Dillon early in the film.
- There is no story, this film isn't really about anything, just a series of plot points to set up future films and a prelude to a bigger movie
- Some subplots go nowhere like the mystery with Peter's parents still doesn't have closure, Aunt May training to be a nurse etc
- Parker doesn’t have any motive in this film beyond saving citizens because that’s what Spider-Man does. He doesn’t go to college and apart from one email exchange with Jameson he doesn’t have a job. The events of this film set up motivations for Parker to act in the next movie against those still standing at the end of this one.
- The music is really odd, especially for Electro. Max Dillon starts with this really goofy track, which makes sense, but it continues when he becomes Electro. We’re supposed to be intimidated by this character and they’re playing backing music from a slapstick routine. Then it, and his mutterings, turn into an awful dubstep track that doesn’t set the scene but distracts from it.
- What's the point of Rhino and is once again just set up and even Captain Stacey has more scenes than Rhino
- Parker keeps seeing Capt. Stacy around the place showing how haunted he is by Stacy’s death and his conflicted feelings about promising he wouldn’t date Gwen. Why is he so hung up on this guy and not Uncle Ben? We don’t even get a flashback of Ben imparting some good natured advice. You’d think the latter would have had a bigger lasting impact than his sort-of girlfriend’s father who he met twice.
- It would be better if more time was spent on Harry's character rather than Electro because he has a much bigger stake in Parker’s life. The two come from a shared past and experiences and their paths have recrossed for logical reasons, and he’s often more interesting that shouty Jamie Foxx. Because he shares the story with the bizzarre Electro backstory the emergence of the Green Goblin feels rushed.
- Tone is weird, one minute rom com, one minute dark, then one minute camp and weird with Max Dillon scenes and while Electro is imprisoned he’s experimented on by a really hammy German scientist character who does not fit in with the tone of the movie at all. It’s like someone who would have appeared in Batman & Robin.

Last edited:
There are also movies that have high ratings that I don't care for. At the end of the day it's your opinion that counts most.

This, people have to form their own opinion. I never understood why people look to critics and reviews for their opinion. Seems stupid to me, can't form your own opinion? Gotta piggyback off what someone else thinks? **** that, not me.

again, this isn't fricking stand-alone movie...

Last edited:
This, people have to form their own opinion. I never understood why people look to critics and reviews for their opinion. Seems stupid to me, can't form your own opinion? Gotta piggyback off what someone else thinks? **** that, not me.
The only reason why I get nervous with reviews is because I worry that I'll feel the same way.

Regarding that critics rating of TASM2, I think IM3 is the best IM movie, but I don't think it's better than Cap 2. Anyways, back on topic.

Pros

Cons
- Electro is weak villain and is later just Harry's lackey and there are some odd scenes with Max Dillon early in the film.
- There is no story, this film isn't really about anything, just a series of plot points to set up future films and a prelude to a bigger movie
- Some subplots go nowhere like the mystery with Peter's parents still doesn't have closure, Aunt May training to be a nurse etc
- Parker doesn’t have any motive in this film beyond saving citizens because that’s what Spider-Man does. He doesn’t go to college and apart from one email exchange with Jameson he doesn’t have a job. The events of this film set up motivations for Parker to act in the next movie against those still standing at the end of this one.
- The music is really odd, especially for Electro. Max Dillon starts with this really goofy track, which makes sense, but it continues when he becomes Electro. We’re supposed to be intimidated by this character and they’re playing backing music from a slapstick routine. Then it, and his mutterings, turn into an awful dubstep track that doesn’t set the scene but distracts from it.
- What's the point of Rhino and is once again just set up and even Captain Stacey has more scenes than Rhino
- Parker keeps seeing Capt. Stacy around the place showing how haunted he is by Stacy’s death and his conflicted feelings about promising he wouldn’t date Gwen. Why is he so hung up on this guy and not Uncle Ben? We don’t even get a flashback of Ben imparting some good natured advice. You’d think the latter would have had a bigger lasting impact than his sort-of girlfriend’s father who he met twice.
- It would be better if more time was spent on Harry's character rather than Electro because he has a much bigger stake in Parker’s life. The two come from a shared past and experiences and their paths have recrossed for logical reasons, and he’s often more interesting that shouty Jamie Foxx. Because he shares the story with the bizzarre Electro backstory the emergence of the Green Goblin feels rushed.
- Tone is weird, one minute rom com, one minute dark, then one minute camp and weird with Max Dillon scenes and while Electro is imprisoned he’s experimented on by a really hammy German scientist character who does not fit in with the tone of the movie at all. It’s like someone who would have appeared in Batman & Robin.

Damn, lol.

EDIT: The review isn't appearing for me.

Pros

Cons
So they say in the review that this is a huge step down from TASM1.

"Damnit, you were doing so, so well! The Amazing Spider-Man got the franchise back on track with a new cast and new look. Then…this."

alot of the points they made were very nit picky

What's the point of Rhino and is once again just set up and even Captain Stacey has more scenes than Rhino

So they say in the review that this is a huge step down from TASM1.

"Damnit, you were doing so, so well! The Amazing Spider-Man got the franchise back on track with a new cast and new look. Then…this."

this got me worried, very worried:
tumblr_mn1t0m6Zh11sphuweo1_250.gif

I fear the cheese. The only way I'll really hate this movie is if it's overly cheesy.

i mean i´m still excited don´t get me wrong but all this reviews are unpleasing, i like TASM regadless to reviews and i will probably love TASM2, but that guy is comparing it to B&R and he even liked the first one, that´s why i am worried

Awwww man, that's not cool...

Speaking of which, why the heck is The Rhino even on the poster?! When all the major villains had been taken care off we’d begun to think he’d been cut out at the last minute but he literally arrives in the final scene! At least Spidy and giant robot suit guy get a good fight…except they don’t. The entire fight between them is what you see in the trailer. That is not an exaggeration. The bit in the trailer where he flings a manhole cover at Rhino? That’s it. It’s baffling to see Oscar winner Paul Giamatti in this role because he has two scenes…and given sixth acting credit! He could’ve been played by a disembodied Russian accent for all he was needed.

And don’t believe the lies on the poster – his enemies don’t unite against him. Green Goblin, Electro and Rhino NEVER appear on screen together. They each fight Spider-Man solo. It feels like the marketing department have led audiences astray with the promotion of the Rhino and a big monster mash fight scene.

Have you seen anything thus far that looks cheesy to you? It's an honest question, I'm not baiting or anything.

No but that review said there were cheesy moments and while negative it was fairly thorough and thought out. I can't discount it just because what I've seen has me amped.

who cares what they think (whether good or bad) im going there to watch a spidey movie not dissect it

It seems like those who hated the idea of a reboot dislike TASM2, and those who were on board with it that liked TASM1 hate this film for going in a different direction. Different tone, different style, etc.

I'm as hyped for this movie as anyone but some of you are intolerable at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"