The Aronofsky Draft

Discussion in 'The Wolverine' started by Alexei Belyakov, Sep 10, 2012.

1. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Well-Known Member

wow.The stuff with
    Yuriko would likely have caused a R rating

My suspecion Is In rewrite
    They toned down the stuff with Yuriko.I can see her and wolverine having sex after Mariko Is forced Into arranged marriage

So In Screenplay did
    Mariko die at end and did they have the poison and Wolverine finishing her off.Also who did Wolverine have duel with Shingen

2. Alexei Belyakov

Alexei Belyakov Well-Known Member

Not just Yukio. Everything in the screenplay warrants an R rating.

Well,
    he meets Yukio right after he's torn from Mariko. Its basically a heavy rebound.

She
    dies, but not from poison. The house she shares with Logan is torched by Yakuza. It happens very late in the screenplay.

He fights
    Shingen, Silver Sam, dozens of Yakuza & over a hundred members of The Hand.

3. marvelrobbins

Thanks.Yep everthing mentioned suggested an r rating was were they were
    aiming to here

As for
    Yuriko It seems she was changed.In breakdown from first draft she was mentioned as Wolverine's bodyguard who shares attraction to wolverine who Is secretly working for shingen but becomes more on wolverine's side.As for ending the ending of mariko would probally resemble last stand a bit too much

as for wolverine vs Villains
    I am hoping for 2 duels vs Shingen.1 where he defeats Wolverine and the other where wolverine kills him.I am hoping wolverine has to go through the silver samuri to get to shingen for final duel.If they keep Mariko being killed at end my suspecion Is eather the SS,or Viper or Both are responable.If we can have wolverine going through a group of ninjas,then the silver samurai,and finally SHingen that would be great to see onscreen

4. Alexei Belyakov

On a side note, I'm really worried about what lastairbender pointed out in the Silver Sam thread.

What if FOX gave up the rights to The Hand when they gave up Daredevil?

That would severely compromise the screenplay. I mean, the script still works if the ninja go by a different name, but the comic lore it beautifully established by linking them directly to Wolverine is just too great to give up - specially the way it
    introduces Stick's origin as a member of The Hand

5. SoNicRaDiATioN

SoNicRaDiATioN Well-Known Member

The more details I read of Aronofsky's script, the more frustrated I get that it couldn't work out with him.

6. marvelrobbins

agreed.At time of his deptarue I wasn't exactly sad since I remember reports on Batman year One draft he worked with Frank Miller with but It's clear from what I hear on this
    draft the crap of that draft was much more Miller's fault than his.

It seems while there were changes the spirit of storyline was captured and he had an excellent take on Wolverine.

7. Alexei Belyakov

I'm hoping Mangold did with The Wolverine what Spielberg did with A.I. - he shot Kubrick's script word for word.

8. X-Maniac

X-Maniac High Evolutionary

Well, it doesn't sound like it given the info you provided on the differences between what we know now and what you say was in the Aronofsky version.

I'm beginning to wonder if unfavourable studio reaction to the hard R nature of that early draft was part of the reason Aronofsky left.

9. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Probably, seems to be the problem with Dedapool as well.

10. SoNicRaDiATioN

I really hope so. Those scene descriptions were way beyond my initial expectations. I wondered if a Wolverine film would actually be made in this fashion. Murder plots, sex, debauchery. The ground certainly needs to be broken at some point for this kind of adaptation. It wouldn't happen at MS. Just another reason I'm pissed Fox lost Daredevil. No way something like Born Again could be done now. For various reasons.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  11. Alexei Belyakov

Same here.

12. SoNicRaDiATioN

It wouldn't surprise me. At this point it's about degees. Just how much of Aronofsky's script was compromised? From what I've seen of Mangold, he does strike me as more then just a hired hand for a studio.

13. Project862006

Project862006 Well-Known Member

well it is not like script isn't gonna be solid the script was already praised when mcquarrie originally wrote it before darren' name was even in the discussion

14. marvelrobbins

It seems like to me they went back more to Mcquarrie's draft with bringing back Viper Into script,beefing her role up,and adding a world war II prison camp sequenze at begining and possibly dropping the hand.It remains to be seen what remains of Aronofsky's draft.

15. Alexei Belyakov

This.

Aronofsky definitely retooled McQuarrie's script. Made it darker, brought in sex, drugs & brutal violence.

With McQuarrie it was PG-13. With Aronofsky it became hard R all the way.

16. Alexei Belyakov

Agreed on all points.

When I first heard Aronofsky was directing, I knew there was potential for this to be the next CBM to transcend the genre.

But up until last month, I hadn't read the script.

Wishful thinking became a reality in a way I never expected. I expected something good, but nothing even close to this.

He brought the Wolverine legend down to our level. Made his world real & brutal.

I think there's still a chance Mangold & Bomback didn't completely rewrite his draft.

17. x-fan

x-fan Well-Known Member

after they answer all those questions I guess you can stay home since it would be pointless too see the movie....right??

18. Alexei Belyakov

I take it you're not one to read screenplays prior to a film's release. I'm actually the same, but since Aronofsky left & the draft I read was rewritten by Bomback & Mangold, I figured what the hell?

Yep.

Yashida is Shingen. He arranges her marriage to Noburo as a gift to The Yakuza.

Pretty much.

She works for Shingen.

Both. For a time she's exactly what Logan needs & then things go sour.

Absolutely.

Aronofsky's script does not feature Viper, so I don't know.

Plenty.

In the screenplay, ALOT of people die. Mariko's one of them.

Not a huge role, but one large enough to be quite fulfilling.

Again, she's not in the draft I read, but the cast sheet that leaked from McQuarrie's final draft listed her as Noburo's secretary/henchwoman.

Just remember, the draft I read went through rewrites by Bomback & Mangold, so the film we're getting might a completely different film than the one I read. I really hope everything stays the same, but you don't pay writers to do nothing.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  19. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

Yeah, I don't see Fox allowing the uncomfortable sex scenes in a Wolverine movie
    We've been over this, and there's no way theyre going R rated on their biggest franchise

That does all sound pretty cool tho
    Marvel should let Aronofsky write the Wolverine MAX series for a while
    or just novel-ize his script

20. Alexei Belyakov

I think FOX was willing to let Aronofsky run wild with this one. BLACK SWAN made what First Class made with 1/10 of its production cost & a heavy R-rating.

21. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

Yeah maybe, but I could see a big fight occurring during editing when they wanted to take out a few touchier elements and he wouldn't have it.

Honestly, some of the info you shared is a bit too perverse for wolverine, even to me.

I like my wolverine violent and womanizing, but getting off on watching Yukio torture or seduce someone? Bit over the line for a lotta people, I'd imagine

22. Alexei Belyakov

Well, to clarify
    she molests and seduces the random woman on the Tokyo train. She doesn't physically harm her in any way.
    So I guess he's between a rock and a hard place.

He's undoubtedly the "good guy" in the story. He's simply surrounded by low people in low places (the real world).

On a side note, as long as studios keep these characters on safe ground, the genre will not be able to evolve. Aronofsky's script is transcendent because it isn't safe.

23. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

Not safe doesn't equal good, however. Given the posts on this script, while I like elements of it, I think it goes beyond a Wolverine movie in a few regards.
    Like someone else said, Wolverine being aroused someone being seduced/tortured before his eyes is not really Wolverine, IMO.

24. Alexei Belyakov

Again, to clarify,
    torture is not the right word. She publicly molests the woman into seduction on the train while he watches uncomfortably. The guy's not cheering them on nor is Yukio physically harming this woman. He just watches. He watches until he - like the woman, just lets himself go.

To me the scene accentuates the decline in his character after he's torn from Mariko. Sex, murder & drugs are tools he uses to grieve.

Wolverine is all about the struggle between the man & the beast. Yukio brings out the animal. Like, really brings it out. The things he does for her are gruesome.

25. Infinity9999x

Infinity9999x Well-Known Member

Exactly. And while I've always held to the belief that wolverine is a good and decent person at his core, he has done things in his life that are truly horrible. A part of him likes the darkness and is attracted to it, and he's gone to some very, very dark places.