The Aronofsky Draft

Discussion in 'The Wolverine' started by Alexei Belyakov, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Alexei Belyakov

Alexei Belyakov Well-Known Member

That "realm" is the real world.

2. Alexei Belyakov

It would only come off demented and uncomfortable to those hanging on to the kid-friendly Wolverine established in the cartoon (& sadly the Origin film).

This Wolverine kills for a living, in Tokyo.

Everything he does in this story not only works because of its connections to the comic but because it depicts what Wolverine's life would really have been like had he once roamed the streets of urban Japan. There's not a single moment that feels forced or "comic-booky".

He kills, he loves, he drinks, he has sex, he makes mistakes, he learns things, etc.

Above all, he behaves like we would. Like a real person.

3. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

Exactly. Wolverine's animal nature needs to be explored, since Origins thought it was fine to just say he was an animal in dialogue, but never actually make him do anything remotely horrible and just stand around and complain about other people being cruel. But, this script I feel just goes too far away from Logan's moral center for no real reason other than to explore themes Aronofsky himself relishes in as opposed to what is proper for Logan to be experiencing.

I love Aronofsky's work. He has made amazing films and I am very high on him as a director. But, I am also high on Ang Lee. Look how Hulk turned out. Lee tried to do something different with Hulk, but in the process missed the point of Hulk. I see kind of the same thing here. Amazing filmmaker trying to make a character bend to his will as opposed to exploring him organically.

4. Alexei Belyakov

What do you consider a "proper" emotional reaction for a man who kills for a living watching his psycho girlfriend molest & seduce a random woman on a Tokyo train?

What in your opinion is he supposed to do to Yukio? Kill her? Tell her "stop it, Yukio, this is wrong."?

You bring up Wolverine's moral center as if its being compromised in this story, better yet - by this one incident, but I don't see it being compromised at all.

Aronofsky doesn't relish in morbid subject matter. He relishes in character exploration - which is what that scene is supposed to do. Show a man at his lowest point.

Wolverine's "moral center" consists solely of not killing innocents.

I can tell the whole thing sounds taboo to you - but taboos are exactly what this genre needs to break through.

Aronofsky delves deep into the dark passages of his character's psyches.

This is a story that takes Wolverine on a journey of existential discovery.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  5. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Sorry man, not following you here. What things need to be implied or expanded on film that havnt or cant be done in the comics for the character? And why would you consider not doing this to be a disservice to the genre? Do you have an example from another comic film?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  6. SoNicRaDiATioN

SoNicRaDiATioN Well-Known Member

Well Aronofsky's script for starters.

Clearly some people have a problem with the treatment of Wolverine which I just don't see in the context of the story. Everything he does seems in character considering his state of mind and surroundings. He's a killer who see's himself as an animal. Unhuman. On top of that he's in a relationship with a psychotic woman who loves that animal side of him. She brings out the worst in him. It's only natural that he'd get pulled down a black hole of murder, sex and debauchery. These actions are the natural manifistation of his character in this state of mind. I don't see any cavernous gaps between his actions and his moral center.

Because it would break new ground and expand the possibilities of what you can do with these characters.

7. Alexei Belyakov

Agreed with everything, specially the bolded.

These situations are happening to him because he's descended into darkness. When he's in the light, he's quite heroic.

8. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Have you read the script? Or are you just judging based on the ideas presented that he had in mind? Without comparing both scripts being used its just a hard call to make imo. I trust Aronofsky, but I just dont have the info on Magolds version Vs his to make the call that it would be a worse take for the franchise. I def really want a more unleashed Wolverine this time arund but I think a good film is still possible even if it doesnt push the boundries as much. The themes and character can still be there.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  9. SoNicRaDiATioN

I love it how Aronofsky constructed the script with the ying yang duality of light and darkness.

10. SoNicRaDiATioN

I'm not arguing against the Mangold version, just for why I would have loved to see Aronofsky's. All I know is what Jackman said recently. That the new script (Mangold's) is 85% the same.

11. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Gotcha so Im assuming you have read the script by Aronfsky. I thought Alexei was the only one. I think I got this now haha. By "disgrace to the genre" you meant it would be a bad move to pass it up cause the script brings something new and groundbreaking we havnt seen or read with the character yet.

12. Alexei Belyakov

Its great writing.

Mariko representing light and having all her scenes with him take place during the day...brilliant.

Then you get the flipside of that coin with Yukio's scenes with him all taking place at night.

13. SoNicRaDiATioN

I haven't read the script, I'm just going off the scene decriptions I've read and the questions I've seen answered in this thread. Those scenes alone were well beyond my expectations for this film, or any comic film. It's the Wolverine film I'd want to see.

Yes. Especially in the film genre.

14. Alexei Belyakov

Agreed 100%. I have absolutely no faith in Miller's screenwriting/directing skills.

Here's hoping they do & in a big way. Sex raises the stakes for any relationship. Naturally, SONY won't show the sex but at least they can make it a topic of discussion in the film.

Well, Selina did have some lesbian allusions in TDKR. I suspected from my first viewing that Juno Temple was her companion. Too bad they didn't explore that.

15. Alexei Belyakov

Aronofsky's screenplay does a tremendous job reminding the reader that this story has absolutely nothing to do with the last film.

The word "mutant" is never used and only one person in the script knows Wolverine ain't human.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the origin story. Its the beginning of the "Legend of Wolverine".

16. marvelrobbins

marvelrobbins Well-Known Member

Frank Miller Is shadow of himself even In comics work.

Naturlly they won't show sex between peter and Gwen but you can show lead In to them getting Intimate and afterwords.

There defently were lesbian allusion In dark Knight rises between Anne Hathaway and Juno Temple.It was another missed opportunity.

17. Alexei Belyakov

Don't get me wrong, I love that movie. Its in my top 10 for this year in a list that includes BEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILD, THE MASTER, LOOPER, TAKE THIS WALTZ, ARGO & LINCOLN.

Truth of the matter is, Nolan would have had to make a 4-hour film to flesh out Selina & Juno's relationship amongst other things.

I think the final product was fantastic.

18. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

That sounds more like a scene from Ichi The Killer.

Nothing wrong with liking ideas from a scene, but basing the quality of the full script on a few scene descriptions isnt really fair on either side of the argument. Theres nothing really for people to judge except for the idea of the scene itself. Its very understandable to see why some wouldnt be keen on the idea.

19. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

Here is the place to discuss the supposed original draft written by Darren Aronofsky before he left the project. Speculate away!

20. Alexei Belyakov

People have become too accustomed to these characters being aimed at the kids. The notion of Wolverine having sex with Yukio onscreen, or of him watching her have lesbian sex onscreen still remains very taboo to said people.

People like this guy:

"That's not Wolverine! Wolverine is a hero."

Well, this hero works for a crime lord in Tokyo. He kills for that crime lord.

How many heroes can you say the same thing about?

The Punisher is the closest one & even then - Castle wouldn't allow himself to be a hired gun. Wolverine is lost in Japan. The screenplay serves two purposes: to showcase how lost he is & how he eventually finds himself.

Truthfully, I'm not surprised people can't handle some realism in CBMs. Specially after 10 years of restrained adaptations that turned Wolverine into a pseudo-Captain America when in reality he's the very definition of the anti-hero.

21. danoyse

danoyse Snikt. Stab. Repeat.

By the way, just because we have a new thread for this...insufferable attitudes and insults will still not be tolerated. Let's keep this as a discussion and not a platform for blasting those who we do not agree with.

Thank you.

22. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

It doesnt mean people cant handle realism though or even the subject matter. Look at all the themes of sex and violence in Sincity and Watchmen. Tons of people watch those two and love the hell out of them. I think everyone on this board wants a more berserker animal infused Wolverine to be shown with this flick. That scene described and in question is in no way gonna be universally welcomed, especially if no one knows the full context of the script. All it sounds like is a scene of graphic sex and violence. Could it work? Sure, but scenes like that will be uncomfortable for some to watch and others might think its out of character. There are mos def other ways that are just as effective to portray Logan, and the bad choices he does make. Its not like it has to be done one way or bust.

Portraying Wolverine strictly as a hero in XMOW was a mistake. He was completely innocent during the whole team X and Weapon plus thing. It completely contradicted what was said in X2 and we probably should have seen him do some really jacked up stuff to people. From the pics online this film looks to take place after hes met Xavier ( I could be wrong) and not prior. That is a huge change on Logan as a character. Its hard for me to picture him making some more questionable decisions after. Hes a full on hero and practically a caretaker last we see him in the film franchise. Doesnt mean he cant go ape **** on bad guys, but if hes making some disturning bad moral choices, it could seem a bit off for his character imo. There should be limits once a character has already gone through change. I take it Aronofskys was pre X Men, so this might have been more acceptable for the character to grow and learn here from some more disturbing moral choices, but if its post meeting the X team I dont think it would go to well.

I trust Aronofsky as a film maker and think it would be awesome to see his version of the character. Im sure it would be radical change on screen from what weve seen. Doesnt mean others will or should agree.

23. Cagefighterkip

Cagefighterkip Mr. Golightly

Fingers crossed the script just leaks on online. I wouldn't mind checking out a pdf of it.

24. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014 Champion

So, because Wolverine works for a crime lord, him watching a woman molest another woman is excusable and in character? This has NOTHING to do with it not being for kids, and everything to do with it being out of character. Wolverine has shown far more chivalry over the years than to allow that to happen. It is simply not Wolverine. You could easily do the Yin/Yang stuff with Wolverine being a violent killer. THAT is very in line with Wolverine as a character, as he is vicious and mercilessly kills. But, this scene showcases an aspect of Logan that was never there before, and it is one I firmly feel Wolverine wouldn't do. Making him get off on lesbian molestation isn't somehow more realistic.

Wolverine doesn't have to be for children, but am I asking too much in asking for a mature film that is actually in line with the moral center his years in comics have firmly made clear? Not just add shock value to "be more mature"

25. Rac

Rac Deadite

I have no problems with those scenes. The lesbian scene is "extreme", but not totally out of character for Logan. He has a dirty mind, and it's from the time he didn't give a ****.

Even the interrogation thing is something we've seen in the comics. Somewhere in the Origins run.