The Dark Knight Rises The Art of The Dark Knight Trilogy

Pauluz

Sidekick
Reaction score
I have seen a few photographs of this book by members who have purchased it so we know it's out there. What I'd like to know; is there anything new from the previous films in there or is it just a straight combination of all three? How is the content for TDKR? A bit on the lightside as the TDK art book? Any spoilers?

Anyone? I know a few people here own it.

It's the making and art of the entire trilogy. It talks about the creation of each screenplay for each film. Casting, production design, visual effects, practical effects, music, artwork, pre-production, production, and post production.

All of it is covered in this book with amazing behind the scenes photos, artwork, and promotional artwork. Cast and crew interviews as well.

It's a coffee table book. But, if you're a fan of what Nolan has done so far, you need this book. I'm almost done reading it.

I have seen a few photographs of this book by members who have purchased it so we know it's out there. What I'd like to know; is there anything new from the previous films in there or is it just a straight combination of all three? How is the content for TDKR? A bit on the lightside as the TDK art book? Any spoilers?

There's a photo on the back cover, I think, that has all of Nolan's rogues gallery on it. I'd love an HD scan of that.

This is in the process of being shipped to me. Of all the books, this is the one I've been anticipating the most.

This is in the process of being shipped to me. Of all the books, this is the one I've been anticipating the most.

Same, though I also have the History of the Batmobile book, which is nice, but the real surprise was the Dark Knight Manual book. Its very well done and comes with a lot of goodies, such as blueprints, stickers, and even real replica Joker cards.

but the real surprise was the Dark Knight Manual book. Its very well done and comes with a lot of goodies, such as blueprints, stickers, and even real replica Joker cards.
Yes, that's a very good book and I have it too. A lot of care was put into it.

Same, though I also have the History of the Batmobile book, which is nice, but the real surprise was the Dark Knight Manual book. Its very well done and comes with a lot of goodies, such as blueprints, stickers, and even real replica Joker cards.

SWEET. That one sounds even more up my alley. I had to buy the Joker poker set just for the excellent Joker prop cards.

It's the making and art of the entire trilogy. It talks about the creation of each screenplay for each film. Casting, production design, visual effects, practical effects, music, artwork, pre-production, production, and post production.

All of it is covered in this book with amazing behind the scenes photos, artwork, and promotional artwork. Cast and crew interviews as well.

It's a coffee table book. But, if you're a fan of what Nolan has done so far, you need this book. I'm almost done reading it.

That sounds excellent! Could you tell me if the content of the previous books is recycled (I'm not talking photographs or concept art but rather layouts). Is there anything new of the previous films? It's definitely a book I'm going to buy.

That sounds excellent! Could you tell me if the content of the previous books is recycled (I'm not talking photographs or concept art but rather layouts). Is there anything new of the previous films? It's definitely a book I'm going to buy.

A lot of the stuff is new to ME.

I can't wait to buy this book.

I have received it today, an excellent and very big book but I must admit, it's a bit light in concept art. But any fan will absolutely love it!

I have received it today, an excellent and very big book but I must admit, it's a bit light in concept art. But any fan will absolutely love it!

I bought it today when I was at Midtown and been reading it since. I was hoping to see some early drafts of the Bat-Suit but it's really light on concept art but reading about the creation of the Tumbler and how Christopher Nolan created the original concept from clay was really incredible and the fact that the Batman Begins suits was filmed in a lot of darkness due to the look of the texture (which gave it mystery & effect) and that TDKR was the real test for the 2nd suit due to the outside shots were great reads. I also loved the detail the book goes into about the casting, all in all it's a great read.

Theres alot of pictures (press pics, images from the movies) but there are also scenes taken in different angles and a few concept pieces also there is a page that show unreleased posters to Begins that look really great.

Last edited:
Reading this now. This is a solid behind the scenes book, not much new here for die-hards. I'm a little turned off at how Nolan and Goyer keep getting quoted about how they came up with certain concepts that already existed in the comic books.

They may not have come up with some of those concepts, but they sure as hell tweaked some of them and made them much more intriguing than in the funny pages.

The Tumbler, Bane, Batsuit, Gotham City, Catwoman's accessories, Batman's fighting style, Bruce's origin/training, etc.

How so?

Does it show other concepts for Two Face's look? I am interested in seeing some of the other "less extreme and more realistic" versions that were scraped in favour of the final version.

For instance, I may not be the biggest comic book historian, but I don't exactly remember The League of Assassins training Bruce.

Then, we have Nolan's Dark Knight suit which featured chain mail, kevlar-dipped plates and razor-sharp launchable gauntlets.

The Tumbler was a concept twist to The Batmobile. It's basically a Tank/Lamborghini with a F-117 Nighthawk body.

For instance, I may not be the biggest comic book historian, but I don't exactly remember The League of Assassins training Bruce.

They didn't. Bruce trained with dozens and dozens of martial arts and other masters of various disciplines, including ninjas, and other experts from every corner of the globe. I can't see having the League of Assassins train him as an improvement over his comic book origins. Its kind of just a watered down version of it. It works for story purposes, but it pales in comparison to his actual origins.

Bruce later encountered Ra's Al Ghul, and at one point later in their encounters, while they were working together, Batman actually trained the League of Assassins.

Then, we have Nolan's Dark Knight suit which featured chain mail, kevlar-dipped plates and razor-sharp launchable gauntlets.

All this is based on the comic book Batsuit, which has been described as layered Kevlar armor and mail since about the late eighties/early 90's. Jean Paul Valley used a type of chainmail armor when he took over for Bruce during KNIGHTFALL after Bane broke Bruce.

I don't know that I've seen razor sharp launching gauntlets in the comics, but the gauntlets and fins have often been shown to be a defensive/climbing measure, and various versions of Batman have had launching projectile bat weapons before BEGINS/TDK came along, including Jean Paul Valley in KNIGHTFALL, who fired bat-shurikens from his gauntlets. BATMAN BEYOND also featured these, and I think Batman kept them around for a while before TROIKA if I remember correctly.

The Tumbler was a concept twist to The Batmobile. It's basically a Tank/Lamborghini with a F-117 Nighthawk body.

Yes, but its one that, other than visually, is born of the comics, and even visually owes some inspiration to them. The Batmobile has always been a supercharged roadster, and that's what The Batmobile has been since the late eighties/early nineties, a combination of sportscar and fighter jet. There are even versions that have been more tanklike in the comics, as well as Batmobiles that jump, fly, etc.

They didn't. Bruce trained with dozens and dozens of martial arts and other masters of various disciplines, including ninjas, and other experts from every corner of the globe. I can't see having the League of Assassins train him as an improvement over his comic book origins. Its kind of just a watered down version of it. It works for story purposes, but it pales in comparison to his actual origins.

Bruce later encountered Ra's Al Ghul, and at one point later in their encounters, while they were working together, Batman actually trained the League of Assassins.

All this is based on the comic book Batsuit, which has been described as layered Kevlar armor and mail since about the late eighties/early 90's. Jean Paul Valley used a type of chainmail armor when he took over for Bruce during KNIGHTFALL after Bane broke Bruce.

I don't know that I've seen razor sharp launching gauntlets in the comics, but the gauntlets and fins have often been shown to be a defensive/climbing measure, and various versions of Batman have had launching projectile bat weapons before BEGINS/TDK came along, including Jean Paul Valley in KNIGHTFALL, who fired bat-shurikens from his gauntlets. BATMAN BEYOND also featured these, and I think Batman kept them around for a while before TROIKA if I remember correctly.

Yes, but its one that, other than visually, is born of the comics, and even visually owes some inspiration to them. The Batmobile has always been a supercharged roadster, and that's what The Batmobile has been since the late eighties/early nineties, a combination of sportscar and fighter jet. There are even versions that have been more tanklike in the comics, as well as Batmobiles that jump, fly, etc.

The argument we are making is not that they aren't born of the comics, just that the films took some of these concepts and made them more intriguing, in some cases much more so. And they did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"