Age of Ultron The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - - - Part 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
CW in the comics had so much potential but they had to twist characters for anything to make any sense. The way the MCU is set up, a CW idea makes perfect sense -- not a page-to-screen adaption, though.

Essentially CW just continues TWS "living in a world of grey" idea. Neither Stark nor Rogers are bad or good -- they just have strong beliefs in what is best for the world. It's no different than what we're seeing now with people fighting over whether we need to deal with ISIS or not. On one hand, it's hard to sit back and watch the terrors they commit, and on the other it's massive resources that ultimately create more issues and yadda yadda. Neither right or wrong. (And no lets not get into a political debate here)

If the fallout from Ultron is as big as rumored, Tony being a changed man makes sense. We know Rogers will always fight for "freedom". And we talk as if there aren't a lot of characters, but they're adding SW/QS/Vision alone to the roster in AOU alongside Falcon, WM, AntMan, Strange (I think it'll be out before Cap 3 right?), DD, Cage, IronFist, Jessica Jones, Deathlok, Blizzard, plus they might introduce BP/CptMarvel at some point.

Realistically it doesn't have to be as large as what it was in the comics with EVERY character getting involved. If it's only a small handful on screen with "mentions" of others out there, it still would work.

So Cap 3 becomes, essentially, Civil War? Wow.

Here's something else to consider: if the rumors that Spidey is going to join the MCU are true, then Cap 3 is the most likely place for that, with the "Iron Spider" arc pitting Steve and Tony against each other to win the heart and mind of Parker.

Add to that the likelihood that Cap 3 ends with a Fallen Son scenario, with Bucky picking up the shield posthumously from Steve, and this becomes a busy, busy movie.

Just reposting since I caught the tail end of the last thread
Then you have if true RDJ demanding more screen time, having a 40mill payout and then more if Cap 3 does better than TWS which is likely anyway based on how great TWS was, follow ups to a great movie always earn more. How does that make Evans feel, he knows he is gonna be overshadowed in his final Cap film.

Plus how does this all fit in with Hydra, Crossbones and Bucky.
While I’m excited that Downey Jr. is more-less confirmed for Captain America 3, I’m not excited that Downey basically wants a massive role in the movie ....

[snip]

Basically Downey wants a bigger role in Captain America 3, which means more screen time, which means more money. The dude got a paycheck for $50 Million on Avengers alone and has to-date racked up a $300 million paycheck for being in the Marvel universe. Downey’s bigger role could potentially cut into Sebastian Stan’s time/ongoing plot as Bucky Barnes and Steve’s journey to find him and get answers.
Agree with these points, I'm concerned about this as well *IF* this is indeed the storyline they're going for (as I've indicated in the CA3 thread). I fully acknowledged that they could easily make it work without sacrificing anything or making it feel like anyone's screen time has been downgraded in order to have Tony in. I had doubts, reservations, skepticism about GotG as well and I was very pleased that Marvel ended up proving me wrong/erased my doubts and won me over in the end.

Just, right now, as of this moment, gut reaction to the news and all that - these are concerns I have. While I'm not expecting Cap's search for Bucky to be a huge 'sole focus of the movie' plotpoint, I am hoping it gets a decent amount of screentime (especially since Bucky/Winter Soldier wasn't in TWS all that much/didn't have that many lines) because I feel it deserves adequete time to work itself out and be resolved, and I'm not expecting Bucky to be a quick fix either with them just finding him and everything being hunky dory. With what we saw him go through in TWS in the bank vault scene - and realizing that, most likely, he's been through that alot, there's got to be some serious mental trauma. RDJ wanting his role to be more substantial has me worried about it will do to the side-plots like that. Someone on the CA3 thread - in response to someone else who said that Steve still needs to take center focus in CA3 - said "Downey is getting paid $40m to do this movie, he isn't taking a backseat to anyone". There's something wrong with that - this is a Captain America movie and the sad thing is, even if/when said in a joking manner, I'm concerned that's going to be the case. I don't see this as a similar situation to BvS because (as far as I'm aware) that was known pretty early on that it would be a team up. This film has been getting sold as Captain America 3 for a while now, when they announced what film would have that date, they said Captain America 3 - not Cap vs. Iron Man, or Avengers 2.5 or whatever. Captain America 3. It needs to be a Captain America film first and foremost.

Sorry, I went on for a bit there. As I said, I hope I get proved wrong on my concerns/that they end up being baseless, I know it's still early in the news that we're getting about this, and going forward I will try to not let my concerns cloud my judgement.

Apologies if what I said didn't make any sense.

"Cap 3: Civil War" or "Avengers 2.5" would *still* be essentially a Cap movie. He's still the hero of his own film, even if the main plot involves Tony Stark as the antagonist, and a Cap-led Avengers as Steve's supporting cast.

Yeah I mean, Cap pretty much was THE main character of Civil War, if ya get right down to it.
Spidey was probably the secondary protagonist.

But yeah, I'm really concerned that the excellent threads established in Cap 2 will be forgotten due to the 40 million dollar RDJ factor

I doubt that, hydra will be addressed in AoU and I'm certain they haven't forgotten about WS, he was hit and I doubt he'd be anything less than integral to plot.

I am really pissed if this Downey-in-Cap3 is true,first the whole new avengers in Cap3 and now this! Well I thought,maybe if they have similar characters in the new avengers(Black Widow,Hawkeye,Falcon,War Machine) it will be okay,but with Donwey they might as well name it 'Avengers 2.5'

Its damn frustrating man,the thing I used to love about Marvel,their audacity to go for the things which seemed risky and not just playing it safe,is fading fast

This is Captain America,while I am not opposed to a cameo,I don't want RDJ in it.Most people agree that he is one of the people who made the MCU possible,but recently he has been head strong and tries to micro manage the director/writer,it was on his insistence that they decided to give Pepper Potts a bigger role in IM3 which arguably ****ed up the final 20 minutes of the movie

The movie is called Captain America 3 for a reason,it is a goddamn Captain America movie,it just has to be him and his supporting cast(BW,Hawk Eye,Sharon Carter and Bucky) and not everybody from the Avengers and their father

"Cap 3: Civil War" or "Avengers 2.5" would *still* be essentially a Cap movie. He's still the hero of his own film, even if the main plot involves Tony Stark as the antagonist, and a Cap-led Avengers as Steve's supporting cast.

I see another Spider-man 3,in a way that how wonderfully the first two movies set up Harry Osborn as the Villain and how spectacularly the third movie ****ed it up by trying to be too ambitious

Cap3 could end up doing the same with Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier

So, now we have Iron Man v Captain America: Dawn of Civil War

:oldrazz:

And like it usually happens, fanboy rage about how is not a true Cap sequel anymore, Tony Stark stealing the show, too many characters... you know the drill !!

Seriously, all that matters is the quality of the script, if it is rock solid, the Russo brothers should take care of the rest. But, it can't be as good as the original Civil War without the X-men. Also, this rumor of leaving Thanos for Avengers 4... I think it would be better to have him in Avengers 3 to end the original trilogy with a bang, and have Avengers 4 as the beginning of a new team, but we'll see.

IDK, it always seemed strange that the X-Men more or less sat out Civil War when it was so connected to the idea of Mutant Registration

but there was only 200 mutants left at that point, so I guess it was smart they stayed out of it

Civil War minus the X-Men would probably make a lot more sense, actually

It is my understanding that Thanos is still the bad guy of Avengers 3. While Cap 3 will begin the Civil War storyline, but the actual superhero civil war will only happen in Avengers 4. Cap, Thor, and Hulk will be left out of Avengers 3 because they will either be outlaws or distracted by other things. Iron Man will lead a SHRA-approved Avengers team in the third film, and team up with the Guardians against Thanos.

IDK, it always seemed strange that the X-Men more or less sat out Civil War when it was so connected to the idea of Mutant Registration

but there was only 200 mutants left at that point, so I guess it was smart they stayed out of it

Civil War minus the X-Men would probably make a lot more sense, actually

There was only 198 of them and they were already corralled at the Academy being watched over by O.N.E.. Bishop sided with pro-Registration and was given autonomy to investigate their own kind.

yeah well that was another bad character moment
why any mutants, and especially Bishop, would be Pro-Registration is beyond me
so again, point stands that the story makes more sense when the mutants are left out

yeah well that was another bad character moment
why any mutants, and especially Bishop, would be Pro-Registration is beyond me

Bishop was a cop. He believed in law and order. Let's not kid ourselves, we're talking about vigilantes for the most part.

Thanos will be Avengers 4. No way Cap, Thor and Hulk sit out the Thanos fight

Cap 3 will be amazing, don't fret trust in marvel and the russos

Well, if Guardians don't team with the Avengers until Avengers 4, it does make sense as one of the stars of Guardians (Zoe Saldana) may not be available for Avengers 3 (due to the Avatar movies and Star Trek 3).

So Cap 3 becomes, essentially, Civil War? Wow.

Here's something else to consider: if the rumors that Spidey is going to join the MCU are true, then Cap 3 is the most likely place for that, with the "Iron Spider" arc pitting Steve and Tony against each other to win the heart and mind of Parker.

Add to that the likelihood that Cap 3 ends with a Fallen Son scenario, with Bucky picking up the shield posthumously from Steve, and this becomes a busy, busy movie.

Personally, I'd hope that if/when Cap dies, Falcon will take up the shield. It's role that fits him much better than Bucky.

I think part of my disappointment with the direction they're going in is in the likely fact that we won't see the Avengers of the comics anytime in the near future, outside a marketing standpoint.

First film was an origin story, but there were no "Avengers" Avengers by the end; just a group that came together to for a specific event then went their separate ways. Sure, friendships have been sparked and a foundation's been laid out, but there was no Avengers Tower/Mansion, no normal day-to-day interactions from the team, no historically-established team dynamic after working together on multiple occasions. Then there's the matter of characters like Thor and Hawkeye feeling so distant from everyone else. All of that was fine and to be expected for the first film, though.

Then in Age of Ultron, it looks like we're getting something more akin to that, but rumor has it the team will break apart by the end. And given the situation and supposed premise for Cap 3, it kinda makes sense.

Then follows a Civil War-based story that puts Steve and Tony at odds, followed by what is rumored to be an all-new Avengers team in A3 or a "Marvel superhero" film where everyone will fight Thanos, Avenger or not.

And if that's indeed the case, I'm a tad disappointed. The "Avengers" will feel more like a few individuals that just happened to cross paths on a few occasions rather than one whole team. Contrast that with other recent adaptations like EMH, where despite members going in and out of the team throughout its run, it still felt like there was a strong team dynamic and ideal "definitive" members even when they weren't all together.

In foresight, even the GOTG might feel more like a team and they didn't even need an entire phase of setup.

I really hope Joss absolutely knocks this outta the park and it is the best Marvel movie to date. His last one has to be the best and since all this news about what's coming next sounds completely awesome, I don't want it to overshadow his work

I think part of my disappointment with the direction they're going in is in the likely fact that we won't see the Avengers of the comics anytime in the near future, outside a marketing standpoint.

First film was an origin story, but there were no "Avengers" Avengers by the end; just a group that came together to for a specific event then went their separate ways. Sure, friendships have been sparked and a foundation's been laid out, but there was no Avengers Tower/Mansion, no normal day-to-day interactions from the team, no historically-established team dynamic after working together on multiple occasions. Then there's the matter of characters like Thor and Hawkeye feeling so distant from everyone else. All of that was fine and to be expected for the first film, though.

Then in Age of Ultron, it looks like we're getting something more akin to that, but rumor has it the team will break apart by the end. And given the situation and supposed premise for Cap 3, it kinda makes sense.

Then follows a Civil War-based story that puts Steve and Tony at odds, followed by what is rumored to be an all-new Avengers team in A3 or a "Marvel superhero" film where everyone will fight Thanos, Avenger or not.

And if that's indeed the case, I'm a tad disappointed. The "Avengers" will feel more like a few individuals that just happened to cross paths on a few occasions rather than one whole team. Contrast that with other recent adaptations like EMH, where despite members going in and out of the team throughout its run, it still felt like there was a strong team dynamic and ideal "definitive" members even when they weren't all together.

In foresight, even the GOTG might feel more like a team and they didn't even need an entire phase of setup.

Great post Shikamaru!

The fact that they might break up after Age of Ultron, then have Civil War as the third phase just excites me for the finale... When Thanos comes to earth in The Avengers 4. That's when you'll get the movie you're describing. The ultimate team up, the chemistry, everyone pulling in the same direction to achieve the primary goal that assembled them in the first place. To protect the people of earth as their Avengers.

wow - this is a lot to take in. i can't believe we are having these discussions. in my wildest dreams when i was a kid, i didn't think this will happen. wow.

ok...from all this news...i am now starting to think one of those marvel movies they scheduled will be thanos' quest. i think with so many movies and a major overall storyline of cap vs. iron man...there may have to be a movie totally devoted to thanos to properly give us the story about his search for the gems and then by the end, he will have them all (or just one left) and that will lead to the avengers...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back