The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'The Avengers Sequels' started by Lord, Dec 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleO_Stark

DoubleO_Stark Well-Known Member

2. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

The great part about that interview is that the door is also now open from Warners for a *Batman* cameo in Avengers 2, too 2

3. DoubleO_Stark

I know! Seems like everyone wants a piece of Marvel money, might just be a DC Marvel live action crossover yet!

4. Incredible Hans

Incredible Hans I'm always hungry!

Just a reminder... Kevin Feige said about Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver:

We both have them. There's a specific arrangement with those two characters that would allow us to use them with "Avengers," but not discuss or reference their mutant or Magneto-related lineage. They can use them as mutants and as Magneto's relatives, but cannot have anything to do with "The Avengers."

5. BH/HHH

BH/HHH You Are My World

I don't think the Wasp would work personally I guess I just can't picture it

6. cherokeesam

Yeah, that's the way I've always understood the way Feige said it, and I'm glad he clarified. A lot of posters here were still under the illusion that it's an either-or thing, but he clearly shows that BOTH Marvel and Fox can do their own versions of Wanda & Pietro, within those limits he stated.

7. AvengeME

AvengeME Well-Known Member

Eh.... too much baggage. There are other supporting characters in the stables. Wonder Man, Ms. Marvel, Pym, etc. No need to bring in mutants or radically alter their background. Mutants don't fit the MCU... not yet.

8. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

I agree :up:

9. Carnage27

Carnage27 No one's puppet

I really, really, really don't want to see a bigger team next time out. I don't think the movie can handle any more big players.

10. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

It's supposed to be a smaller more personal movie, so the villain has got to be someone who can connect with the heroes very personally. I would say either the Masters of Evil or Ultron.

11. Carnage27

Ulton is the best choice, IMO. While Masters of Evil would be interesting, it's a lot of villains. Ultron could end up being a creation of SHIELD's experiments with the tesseract and maybe some work from Banner and Stark.

Because honestly, there's no reason to bring Pym in, IMO.

12. L0ngsh0t

L0ngsh0t Well-Known Member

For those that want Ultron......i think it's pretty clear who the villain in A2 will be....and it's not Ultron

13. OsGom

OsGom Mind-Taker

I think going forward they should have a story arc somehow involving [BLACKOUT]Thanos[/BLACKOUT] in every solo Avenger movie until A2.

He is the right villain to use in my opinion. At least until Hank Pym is introduced. IMO Ultron doesn't work without Hank, besides he is the gateway to bringing in the Vision.

14. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

I don't think it's clear. How do you reconcile that with Whedon's plans for a smaller more personal sequel?

Wow, what a refreshing perspective! Most people are like "No, Ultron MUST be of Pym, Pym NAO!!!!1!"

I personally would love if the Avengers, corporately, were responsible for Ultron's creation. Perhaps it starts with Jarvis, corrupted by a judgment call/mistake Cap makes in his film, and powered by the Cube that Thor lets slip away/gives up, that copies Black Widow and Hawkeye's training (perhaps shades of Super-Adaptoid, perhaps Super-Adaptoid is his Mark I version!)... maybe even some Vibranium as his shell from Black Panther (since Adamantium is owned by Fox)... all that good stuff.

That way, when Ultron starts pulling personnel files and really tearing up the characters emotionally, they have an emotional tie to him already.

15. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

Yeah and if Ultron was supposed to be in A2, he would have been in the post-credit scene and not the other super villain that we saw in A1.

16. Carnage27

If [BLACKOUT]Thanos [/BLACKOUT]is the villain of 2, it's not the film Whedon wants to make. That's for sure. I'll take the word of the filmmaker as well as Marvel's desire to make this a long lasting universe over an easter egg, which could easily be a set up for a very long term plan.

Besides, you'll be waiting till the end of the world for Pym to show up. He's not going to.

And putting [BLACKOUT]Thanos [/BLACKOUT]in the next one...there'd be no where to go but down from that. I'll stick to my prediction

17. souNdwAve89

souNdwAve89 Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised if the tease of Thanos was really just a tease and he might not be the villain in The Avengers 2. Considering how the Marvel Studios heads keep saying that Edgar Wright is near completion or is completed with the Ant-Man script, there is a possibility of them adding Ultron for The Avengers 2 and then Thanos for the third. This would only work if they decided not to go with the Civil War storyline for The Avengers 3 (Kevin Feige talked about it).

18. DoubleO_Stark

How in the bluest of blue hell do they expect to pull that off without at the very least, Spiderman?

Now that I think about it, if Fox, Marvel and Sony co produced a Civil War movie that would be amazing but that's like trying to convert a Muslim into an atheist.

19. Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel SHAZAM!

Agreed on all points. Just because You-Know-Who made a cameo appearance, that doesn't mean that he's going to be the villain in Avengers 2. Think of him like Emperor Palpatine in Star Wars. He's mentioned, but he doesn't actually become a physical threat until the last film of the trilogy. Likewise, Thanos is the sort of villain that you build up to and end a trilogy on. There's no way he's going to be the halfway point villain and cap it off with Ultron. Not only would that completely deflate Thanos, but it doesn't make narrative sense. You build tension. You don't deflate it in your third act. And going from Thanos, a harbinger of universal armageddon, to Ultron, who'd probably be the MCU version of Skynet, would be a massive deflation of whatever tension they build up over the series.

Not to mention the announcement of the cosmic films they're planning, like Guardians of the Galaxy. They're not going to do away with Thanos so quickly when they have a movie coming out which has no less than FOUR characters who're personally tied to him in one way or another (Moondragon's family was killed by Thanos, Drax was created to destroy Thanos, Gamora was raised by Thanos, and Adam Warlock is the Avatar of Life and opposite number to Thanos, the Avatar of Death). Bringing Thanos into Avengers 2 and defeating him would be a complete waste when there's a cosmic movie coming which can potentially make use of him as well.

20. Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel SHAZAM!

He NEVER said they were doing it. He said if they were to do it the soonest it could be is in Avengers 3.

And personally, I hope they never do it. Civil War was awful. If they put it to film they may as well bury the MCU, because they're going to make the audience hate at least half of their heroes.

21. souNdwAve89

souNdwAve89 Well-Known Member

Well, I didn't state that he confirmed it 100%. He only talked about it on a podcast, which is what I previously posted.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  22. usagicassidy

usagicassidy Well-Known Member

The thing is, they don't need to be brought in specifically as "mutants" (I'm sure they'd still referencing their powers as a manifestation) or alter their background too much.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are a pivotal part of The Avengers world, and as we saw in the cartoon Wolverine and the X-Men, both characters can be pretty badass.

My problem with characters like Wonder Man or Ms Marvel (though I'd never argue against more chicks) is that they're so 'super powered' and 'otherworldly' we already have characters like Thor and Hulk who are mega-ridiculously-powered.

My problem with Ant Man and Wasp is that I just don't think tiny people would translate well to a non-animated film. Personally I'd rather just not see them.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are both incredibly unique when looking at the rest of the Avengers, and their powers could be visually appealing. Plus, putting Scarlet Witch in could set up for an Avengers 3 or 4 where she goes bat**** crazy and who wouldn't want to see that?

If we were to have Wonder Man and Ms Marvel in an Avengers film, I'd rather have them as Simon Williams and Carol Danvers who help or assist the Avengers/SHIELD in the 2nd film and during the course of the film something happens to them, setting them up for superheroes in Avengers 3. For Ant Man and Wasp, I'd rather just not go there. Ever. lol.

23. cherokeesam

Good gawd, no. The *only* non-Avengers movie I could see him featuring in would be the Guardians of the Galaxy film in development, or possibly even Thor. He has no role in the solo exploits of Cap, Iron Man, or Hulk.

I agree on the rest of it. I'm tired of hearing all this Ant-Man hate & denial...Pym *is* on the way, like it or not. And with him comes Ultron. You can't have one without the other, no matter how badly you want to retcon the Marvel Universe.

24. BigThor

BigThor God of Thunder

Clearly, people are put far too much stock in Thanos being in the after credits scene for The Avengers. Why in the heck would Marvel use Thanos as the villain for Avengers 2 when he's the ultimate bad guy?

"Oh let's use Thanos in Avengers 2 then bring out the big guns in Avengers 3....uhhh who's bigger than Thanos?" <------ Makes no sense

Definately :cool:

I'm pretty satisfied with Thor and Hulk being the high powered guys but if they do add WM or MM I'd rather it be Ms. Marvel.

Agreed :up:

Hank Pym is TOO important to the Marvel universe to not be included, hell he was in even mentioned in THOR.

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  25. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

For somone who doesn't follow marvel comics what is the deal with
    thanos
    . What makes him so powerful or whatever that he couldn't work right away in the sequel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.