Sequels The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's *one* of the most powerful cosmic villains in the Marvel U, but he's not THE most powerful, nor is he the end-all, be-all, "ultimate" Avengers villain that some people here erroneously claim him to be. Hell, he's not generally associated with the Avengers specifically, but instead acts as an ubervillain to Marvel's more cosmic characters, like Adam Warlock, Silver Surfer, Guardians of the Galaxy and Infinity Watch.

He is far more powerful than Loki, that's for sure, but there's still a ton of villains and groups in the Avengers rogues' gallery that can give the team one helluva fight for many sequels to come. Posters here are just exaggerating (and are just plain wrong) when they act like he needs to be saved for the climax, because (they believe, wrongly) that Avengers will have no more "big guns" to fight after him.

Okay, I said something kind of rude to you, which you don't deserve, because you are one of my favorite posters here. so I appologize and am deleting it. Sorry guys on top of a bit of explosive anger syndrome, Jon gets cranky and rude when he doesn't sleep.

Last edited:
I would love to know who they will cast in a sequel...

I thought it would be cool to see Bruce Willis as Thanos and as Death, you know who would be really interesting? Zooey Deschanel. She has that otherworldly beauty but she's cool as well. Both she and Bruce would work wonders with Whedon's wit I reckon.

I could see them sort of being like the Baron and his wife from 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang'. You know, gooey and sickeningly sweet with love one second, kind of masochistic the next.

:doh:

The X-trilogy began with a bang and a massive battle in NYC. The sequel went smaller in scale, and involved just a small-scale assault on an "abandoned" military base/lab, and yet the stakes became *much* higher....and most folks consider X2 to be the best in the trilogy. Then the "build up" led to the highest stakes of all, and a massive no-holds barred clash of Mutant and Brotherhood....and everyone *hated* it. POTC and TF continually follow the formula you've laid out, and it's worked great for box office, but *lousy* for story.

Bigger is not better. There comes a point where audiences just get numbed to that kind of overkill. Whedon has already hinted that TA2 will be smaller and more personal; and yet I can guarantee you that he'll still be increasing the tension and building the drama *without* having to make a sequel that's "bigger" than Avengers 1.

Okay. I am cranky. So I am sorry. We know thanos' goal is to destroy. I think all everyone's point is, atleast mine, regarding the whole, ruling universe thing, is that, its letting us know he is going to be a universal threat. thats it.

Maybe I am only speaking for myself. But when I bring up the ruling the universe thing (only to be chewed out by you :p ), my point was that he said the universe will be his (obviously thanos just destroys) but my point is that it is letting us know that he will operate on a universal level, which will OBVIOUSLY be to destroy. thats that. I think the whole ruling thing is irrelevant. When I bring it up, i just think it lets us know that he WILL be a universal threat, and will not be dumbed down in power, and threat.

Which is freakin awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
He can still appear in Avengers 2, in a *smaller* role. That's what I'm saying. The big face-off doesn't happen until Avengers 3, but Thanos is still a visible presence (with dialogue and everything) in Avengers 2. And a fairly prominent role in GOTG, *if* GOTG comes out before 2017.

what the hell are we disagreeing on here!? haha. Non of us are doubting he will appear in avengers 2. Its just, we don't think he will be the main threat. Hell, at this point, I am expecting, as is everyone else, for Thanos to appear in ATLEAST Avengers 2 and 3. Thor 2 is also a safe bet.

Im a bit late, so if any of you want to ignore my explosion of posts here, feel free too,

I keep forgetting about multiquote, its 4:30am, I wanna multiquote them, and then delete them, so it will all be one post..but i cant figure out how to delete. mods, feel free to merge these. I am sorry.

quadruple post -_-

Last edited:
what the hell are we disagreeing on here!? haha. Non of us are doubting he will appear in avengers 2. Its just, we don't think he will be the main threat. Hell, at this point, I am expecting, as is everyone else, for Thanos to appear in ATLEAST Avengers 2 and 3. Thor 2 is also a safe bet.

Im a bit late, so if any of you want to ignore my explosion of posts here, feel free too,

I keep forgetting about multiquote, its 4:30am, I wanna multiquote them, and then delete them, so it will all be one post..but i cant figure out how to delete. mods, feel free to merge these. I am sorry.

quadruple post -_-

Yes, we *do* agree that Avengers 2 will feature Thanos. And I'm not saying you're wrong that Thanos will go on to be the main threat in TA3; I'm saying there's a couple of possible ways to go here. Your way is one way, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that approach (as long as, again, Thanos warrants at least a cameo in TA2). But I *personally* believe another approach will be the one Feige uses, and that's the "Phase" approach; in which case the Thanos story will be self-contained within the Phase II movies, and they'll move on to a new universal threat in Phase III.

Either way works fine for me....the only thing I *can't* see happening is Thanos not showing up in another film for the next 5-6 years.

What if avengers 2 isn't the first time the avengers ? Like between movies, they worked together, fought random villains and whatnot.

That would leave space for supplement material like comics or whatever.

It just seems odd for them to wait4 years to reform.

In the MCU's continuity it would probably only be between 18 Months and Two Years since the Avengers by the time Avengers 2 rolls around.

Chances we see GOTG cameo to help spin off that movie?

Avengers is the team up movie that's jam packed for time. I don't see them spending already needed for the stars screen time, in a movie that is only successful because other movies build up to it, to spinoff another property.

Here's a clever way to do CIVIL WAR imo... have it occur at the END of Avengers 2 and have "Phase 3" of the solo movies take place during CIVIL WAR. Thus leading up to Avengers 3: Reassembled (vs Thanos).
The ending sequence got me thinking that civil war might be up next in line, and i don't think it has to follow the comic page per page to be successful, yes more characters are needed but i think it works into the story line as we think it will be Thanos for the final curtain call. Marvel did say the 2nd one will be more about the characters...why not divide them and then have them assemble again for the final fight for Earth in the 3rd one, makes sense to me if they were to go in this direction.

There will be no Civil War. Whedon is a fan of comics and knows what he likes. He won't be adapting Civil War, because it's ****.

It was his idea to use Thanos, that's an indication of where the franchise is going.

Who should play Kang, if they go that route in TA2? Viggo Mortensen anyone?

i cnt see Kang in the next avengers movie or the third one..after Loki staging an alien invasion im just not seeing where Kang would fit into this..didnt he do pretty much the same thing in the comics..I feel next villian is going be Thanos since he was featured at the end of the first film it just makes logical sense

I think Thanos will continue to have an ominous presence in future Marvel films. He'll be the "Emperor" so to speak.

The first film did well to build him up as a threat, and we didn't even see him until the credits. I think the best thing to do is carry on hinting at this powerful being behind the scenes, then when he does finally turn up in all his glory, it's a true "holy ****" moment and by then everyone who has been along for the Marvel ride will know and understand what all the fuss is about.

Thing is, going along with the time frames we've already seen, that means we wouldn't get Thanos in all of his glory for like 5-6 more years from now. Not so sure I view that as a positive. They better do him better justice in Avengers 2 if that's the case .... not just casually using showing him. He's definitely got to be interactive.

i cnt see Kang in the next avengers movie or the third one..after Loki staging an alien invasion im just not seeing where Kang would fit into this..didnt he do pretty much the same thing in the comics..I feel next villian is going be Thanos since he was featured at the end of the first film it just makes logical sense

Kang isn't an alien; he's very much human, and earthling.
time travel =/= space travel

Hey all, I haven't posted here since 2008, when we rightly considered the difficulty that Iron Man 2 would have in balancing S.H.I.E.L.D.'s role in a story where Tony would find himself part of a bigger universe. (It's funny, I also proposed a joint Iron Man/Hulk movie back then, which people shot down, but now doesn't seem so crazy.) Now it is 2012, just after The Avengers has come out, the MCU has gotten even bigger, and I want to join in on the speculation!

"It is a signal to all the realms that the Earth is ready for a higher form of war."
~Thor, The Avengers

"By not trying to. By being smaller. More personal, more painful...
By being the next thing that should happen to these characters, and
not just a rehash of what seemed to work the first time. By having a
theme that is completely fresh and organic to itself."
~Joss Whedon, interview with DigitalSpy, March 2012, about how to make Avengers 2 "bigger."

(Technically, both of these quotes are by Joss Whedon.) Thor's blunt statement (and Cap's disturbed reaction) about the direction Earth was heading gave me chills during that awesome 6-way argument scene in TA. Thoughts of RDJ and co. facing the Infinity Gauntlet, the Kree-Skrull War, Secret Wars, etc. entered my imagination. Then The Other uttered the words "court death" and Thanos appeared in the mid-credits scene, and I was equally stoked.

But then I remembered Joss Whedon's interview from back in March. "Being smaller" and "more personal" does not seem to mesh with "a higher form of war" or flow in the general direction the MCU is heading with Thanos and Guardians of the Galaxy somewhere down the road. If Joss writes/directs TA2 as we all hope he will, it probably won't follow one of the "bigger" storylines (perhaps TA3 will do so). This leads me to a couple of questions, similar to some that have already been discussed in this thread.

1) If we assume TA2 goes "smaller" and "more personal," organically taking the logical next step from TA, how can you do so and while still advancing the overarching narrative that ultimately leads to a bigger epic involving someone like Thanos?
I've seen a few members mention The Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi as a model to follow, but it seems much harder to accomplish for TA2/TA3 given that it's not centered around one character like Luke Skywalker. I trust that Joss will figure it out, I just want to know what you guys think about going "smaller" with an actual team, not centering on one main character. (The X-Men Trilogy comparison helps, except to think about the third one hurts my heart.) I'm not a big comic book reader, so maybe some of you can educate me about some lesser-known Avengers stories that accomplish this well.

2) What do you think will be sprinkled into IM3, Thor 2, and Cap 2 as they lead to TA2, and do you think they will hint at/lead to a) a "smaller" and "more personal" storyline, or b) "a higher form of war"?
Phase I led us to "a bigger universe" and ultimately a bigger story in TA by sprinkling SHIELD, the Cosmic Cube, and references/appearances/cameos of other heroes into the first five movies. With the apparent disparity between Thor's and Joss's words in mind, it is interesting to speculate how Phase II will play out as they lead us on the path to TA2.

Just remember.. Me and bigthor said it first... With the antman rumors...and the whole....smaller thing...avengers 2..ultron.... It's Guna happen. 2014. Cap 2. Antman. And GotG. Avengers 2. Ultron

Black Panther may be the next new hero in the MCU:
http://latino-review.com/2012/06/05/exclusive-standalone-marvel-movie-cap-takes-place-wakanda/

EXCLUSIVE: The Next Standalone Marvel Movie After Cap Takes Place In Wakanda!

Posted on 6.5.12 by El Mayimbe

BREAKING
Earlier today I blew up my own twitter feed in the quest for new followers and boy did twitter nation respond!
Anyway, there has been much speculation as to the upcoming two Marvel films which have yet to be announced. It’s painfully obvious one of them is going to be the sequel to the Avengers.
But what about the other one?
Without further adieu, let’s get right to it…
Hell yes folks…
THE BLACK PANTHER is going to headline his own film!
How do I know? Let’s say I got it from FOUR different trusted sources.
Marvel is going BIG TIME after the urban film audience and I applaud them for that. Last year, it was reported that Marvel hired Mark Bailey to pen the script and I hear the script is fantastic.
The clues were always there. They showed Wakanda on the map in Iron Man 2 and Captain America’s shield is made from Vibranium which also hails from Wakanda. The Black Panther has a long development history which at one point had Wesley Snipes attached to star. Marvel got the rights back to the character in 2005.
The Black Panther has a HUGE urban following. Growing up in NYC, even though I’m more a Luke Cage fan, every Boricua I knew had crazy love for T’challa.
Who do I think got not only the physicality but the acting chops to play the character?
My money says Nate Parker from Red Tails.
From Wikipedia
The title “Black Panther” is a rank of office, chieftain of the Wakandan Panther Clan. As chieftain, the Panther is entitled to eat a special heart-shaped herb, as well as his mystical connection with the Wakandan Panther god, that grants him superhumanly acute senses and increases his strength, speed, stamina, and agility to the peak of human development. He has since lost this connection and forged a new one with another unknown Panther deity, granting him augmented physical attributes as well as a resistance to magic.
His senses are so powerful that he can pick up a prey’s scent and memorize tens of thousands of individual ones. T’Challa is a rigorously trained gymnast and acrobat, showing mastery in various African martial arts as well as contemporary ones and fighting styles that belong to no known disciplines.
So there ya have it.

But considering what was said he may not be a new Avengers member.

I'm pretty sure he'll end up a part of The Avengers roster by 2015.

I think what Feige means is that there won't be a SHIELD presence in BP as there was in every MCU film of Phase I.

I would prefer Ant-Man too, but there's still the possibility that it's pushed to 2014 as the 3rd MCU film of that year, or that it's released in 2015

I think this sucks. I was hoping for guardians and antman in 2014. Gr...cause antman would maybe lead to ultron. Bahhhhhhhhhhhhh crap. I really don't care about black panther at all. Baaaaaa

You'll probably still get ANT-MAN IN 2014, but I too preferred GOTG over BP. Not to mention, they just made more sense with Thanos on the horizon.

I would prefer Ant-Man too, but there's still the possibility that it's pushed to 2014 as the 3rd MCU film of that year, or that it's released in 2015

Could be. Based on that avengers comic.... It seems like GotG is Gunna happen soon. And I want avengers two to be ultron. With more thanos behind the scene. But that wont happen without antman. So ya...bummed out about this. This aside.. Black panther was the last Stand alone movie I wanted to see

Could be. Based on that avengers comic.... It seems like GotG is Gunna happen soon. And I want avengers two to be ultron. With more thanos behind the scene. But that wont happen without antman. So ya...bummed out about this. This aside.. Black panther was the last Stand alone movie I wanted to see
What avengers comic?

Wait... Is BP suppose to be in 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee