The Avengers (2012) vs Justice League (2017)

Kane52630

T-800 User
Reaction score
anGtW6e.gif

m7p0MrQ.gif

Those two shots perfectly encapsulate the awful cinematography of both camps.

Was the poll really needed?
I mean, to see how much distance there is?

justice league was same bad as Justice League War and currently Justice League new 52 adapted line up.

Both Avengers movies top Justice League. If you told my 10 year old self that I would feel like that I would have cursed you out.

How appropos, just came back from seeing Justice League. So I'm going to compare these movies in multiple categories.

Visuals: Avengers
- For all its glorified TV style, Avengers doesn't make as many cheap-looking choices as Justice League. I am the last, last person to notice weak CGI or bad lighting or cinematography and I genuinely was taken out of the movie.

Story: Avengers
- [blackout]Both have very basic stories, and so much so that they almost have the same story, which is a bit of a strike against Justice League. That said, Avengers has strong subplots and consistent arcs that Justice League just... lacks.[/blackout]

Shared Universe Effect: Avengers
- Justice League is, unlike Avengers, a true sequel whose stakes and references are only meaningful after experiencing previous films, but Avengers, while it functions as a standalone rightfully earned it's spot as the team up defining film, as it essentially merged three different franchises into one, and created a new franchise-creating franchise out of them.

Humor: Justice League
- There are some really genuine gags in Avengers, some so good that callbacks are still funny five years later, but while the humor in Avengers seems to pull down the stakes, the humor in Justice League seems like an awkward coping mechanism, which did not take me out of the movie, unless I remembered how joyless and anti-funny previous films were.

Action: Avengers
There are some really hard hits in Justice League that had me a little bit excited, but most of it is forgettable. Avengers gets you from Loki taking on SHIELD and by the time Iron MAn is fighting Thor, you're invested, to say nothing of the Avengers bouncing off of each other effortlessly.

Fanservice: Avengers
- Justice League tried so hard. [blackout]Superman here is almost entirely fanservice, and perhaps his entire 'arc' is delightful Whedon-esque love for the character. Colors are vivid,
and he is temporarily neutralized by the thing that always does so for superman:
distant imperiled nameless citizens. The end credits stinger swings even harder for the fences, which is why it misses so thoroughly.[/blackout] But Avengers, even when it sort of blahs on 616 is sort of an ultimate exercise in fanservice from its conception, and little bits, such as the teasing of Avengers Tower, Hulk's first words, shout outs to LMDs actually work against that, making it seem as though they're afraid of 616, but in the end... it's a film that is about doing the superhero team up comic book style, an so it thrills fans in ways Justice League does not. [blackout]After all, Barry Allen and Arthur Curry are original characters with silver age backstories. Not much service to be had there.[/blackout]

Public Reception: Avengers
With 207M opening weekend, and Justice League on track for a little under half that, Avengers is more popular, but even critics have taken to Avengers more than Justice League, with Avengers at around 92% fresh, and Justice League around 40%.

Edge: Avengers

While Justice League is not quite as bad as some have made it out to be, it is never this:
51BvMwI.gif

Last edited:
How appropos, just came back from seeing Justice League. So I'm going to compare these movies in multiple categories.

Visuals: Avengers
- For all its glorified TV style, Avengers doesn't make as many cheap-looking choices as Justice League. I am the last, last person to notice weak CGI or bad lighting or cinematography and I genuinely was taken out of the movie.

Story: Avengers
- [blackout]Both have very basic stories, and so much so that they almost have the same story, which is a bit of a strike against Justice League. That said, Avengers has strong subplots and consistent arcs that Justice League just... lacks.[/blackout]

Shared Universe Effect: Avengers
- Justice League is, unlike Avengers, a true sequel whose stakes and references are only meaningful after experiencing previous films, but Avengers, while it functions as a standalone rightfully earned it's spot as the team up defining film, as it essentially merged three different franchises into one, and created a new franchise-creating franchise out of them.

Humor: Justice League
- There are some really genuine gags in Avengers, some so good that callbacks are still funny five years later, but while the humor in Avengers seems to pull down the stakes, the humor in Justice League seems like an awkward coping mechanism, which did not take me out of the movie, unless I remembered how joyless and anti-funny previous films were.

Action: Avengers
There are some really hard hits in Justice League that had me a little bit excited, but most of it is forgettable. Avengers gets you from Loki taking on SHIELD and by the time Iron MAn is fighting Thor, you're invested, to say nothing of the Avengers bouncing off of each other effortlessly.

Fanservice: Avengers
- Justice League tried so hard. [blackout]Superman here is almost entirely fanservice, and perhaps his entire 'arc' is delightful Whedon-esque love for the character. Colors are vivid,
and he is temporarily neutralized by the thing that always does so for superman:
distant imperiled nameless citizens. The end credits stinger swings even harder for the fences, which is why it misses so thoroughly.[/blackout] But Avengers, even when it sort of blahs on 616 is sort of an ultimate exercise in fanservice from its conception, and little bits, such as the teasing of Avengers Tower, Hulk's first words, shout outs to LMDs actually work against that, making it seem as though they're afraid of 616, but in the end... it's a film that is about doing the superhero team up comic book style, an so it thrills fans in ways Justice League does not. [blackout]After all, Barry Allen and Arthur Curry are original characters with silver age backstories. Not much service to be had there.[/blackout]

This should be required reading on some boards.
Fair and thoughtful.

You also point out how JL doesn't work on its own.
This should stress even more how masterful the MCU has been, all considered.

This thread is pointless.

This thread is pointless.

Agreed, but someone was bound to post this, and at this point it feels like a mercy killing, so let's just get it over with.

Justice League, beyond merely existing, offers nothing to warrant being compared to The Avengers.

It does feel like karma though. From Snyder and all his comments about how B-list Marvel is, to David Ayer and Jason Momoa verbally sticking their middle finger at Marvel, to the legions of Snyder fans who continuously peddled conspiracy theories and slandered everyone and anyone who didn't find Snyder's work enticing, there was an air of grandiosity about this entire DCEU project.

Agreed, but someone was bound to post this, and at this point it feels like a mercy killing, so let's just get it over with.

It’s only going to devolve into bickering. I suggest this thread be closed now because it’s not needed. Everyone knows what the better movie, lets not pretend this is a real contest in any way.

It’s only going to devolve into bickering. I suggest this thread be closed now because it’s not needed. Everyone knows what the better movie, lets not pretend this is a real contest in any way.

This is dumb. Silence everyone because someone is going to get their feelings hurt.

When in actuality its definitive statements like yours that are going to really rub people the wrong way. Stating your opinion like its fact.

This is dumb. Silence everyone because someone is going to get their feelings hurt.

When in actuality its definitive statements like yours that are going to really rub people the wrong way. Stating your opinion like its fact.

I’m not trying to silence anyone, there’s nothing this thread can bring that can’t already be discussed in the MCU v DCEU thread.

Well it's 27 - 0, so I think you can bet some DC fans voted for Avengers.

Look if they had a poll of Dark Knight vs The Incredible Hulk, I'm pretty sure you'd have the exact same expected results. Doesn't mean you have to hate The Incredible Hulk, I certainly don't.

In a few days you may want to update your signature:
We live in a world where Thor Ragnarok > Justice League

I may have spoken to soon.
Probably.

I mean, it could even become:
We live in a world where GoTGvol1 > Justice League

Anybody up for a bet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"