The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 5

Discussion in 'Marvel's The Avengers' started by Thread Manager, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcvader Lurker #1

Yup, there were a couple of cordoned off lines for different Avengers showings when I got out of mine today.

2. redfirebird2008 Registered

Nikki will never live that one down. :woot:

3. Jordanstine Registered

My 3rd showing in XTG / IMAX 3D was about 50% full, but that was Friday night at 10:15 pm in IMAX 3D (must see).

We sat next to a family with 3 boys, and they were loving it!

All 3 boys probabaly between 7 to 11 years old kept hollering that their mom kept telling them to shush! One boy was Thor, one was Hulk, and one was Iron Man as their favorite, and when one of the heroes did something cool, they would showboat it off to the other 2 of his brothers.

It's all good!

4. riprat Registered

I saw it yesterday again, in Edmonton, Alberta Canada for a 7pm showing and the place was packed. They had it on 6 different screens but mine was very close to full and very rowdy! People love this movie! Hope it keeps going and going! Love the idea of the open cross-pollinating MCU, with minor cameos from established characters in individual films! We'll see...

5. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

Should get to #1 domestic for the year by Tuesday, I think.

6. Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

I'd love for that to happen but I think Twilight will get that honor. Remember: chicks loves gay, glittering vampires that twinkle in sunlight. The only good vampires are the ones that kill humans.

7. nimrod Registered

Hi, Carlos, welcome to the hype.

We can hope but i don't think it likely that it will get to 600 million domestic.:yay:

8. darthmagic Registered

Does anyone know how much it made today?

9. nimrod Registered

You do realise that the previous Twilight movies domestic take has been around 300 million while Avengers is projected to do up to 570 million domestic. :yay:

10. Mysteryman Registered

The original"Not A Record!"headline was referring to the midnight screenings.
    Nikki just didnt change it as the weekend progressed.

11. Gamma Burst Registered

I hope you're joking.

12. DarthAlani Registered

The Highest grossing Twilight films barely scrapes $300m domestic. Avengers is going to wipe its ass with Twilight.

13. Jordanstine Registered

UPDATE:

$44.5M according to Nikki.

Still waiting on RTH, but The Avengers is now guaranteed at least $101M to $104M record breaking 2nd weekend!

WOW!!!

14. 04nbod I need to debrief you

Saying Edward is gay is an insult to gay men. He's one of yours, deal.:cmad:

15. itchyscratch Registered

44.5m is amazing, and it might yet go up even higher when the final figure comes in.

16. PokeJ Registered

I'm shocked at how successful this movie has been. I never partook it has being a 4 quadrant film. I thought this movie would be more designed for the nerds/fanboys like me.

17. Nemesis Prime Registered

I'll be seeing it in a few hours and helping it go over the $100 mil mark this weekend. I'll be posting a report afterward. Hopefully the theater will be filled (11am showing) with plenty of loud people in the audience. :)

18. spider-neil spins a web any size!

saw avengers for the 4th and final time (before the blu ray hits).
    the cinema was pretty empty but it was 5.30 on a saturday afternoon

19. Raiden Wakanda Forever

Yes! 100M weekend here we come! :applaud

20. Xeno That's America's ass!

It's funny that Dark Shadows, which the naysayers here have warned for months would stop The Avengers dead in its tracks, could only muster $28.5 million for the weekend. When I said that the trailers and clips for DS looked like crap, I was assured that the GA would lap it up because Depp is so beloved. Guess I can chalk up another "Toldja!" though maybe I shouldn't quote Nikki Finke on that.

21. Hyde Ooga-Chaka

Omg. I never realised Nikki Finke is like 60. Considering Avengers is doing better than Avatar than it was at this point of it's release, $2B is actually a real possibility.

22. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Avatar was much bigger overseas (made 2BN there by itself)! Avengers is acting like a regular blockbuster with great legs which is astonishing given how large it opened. Despite its massive record breaking weekends so far, it is still following usual box office trends unlike Avatar which basically didn't understand the concept that box office is supposed to go down significantly week to week.

23. Xeno That's America's ass!

Any questions about whether The Avengers has legs domestically have been answered. It dropped only 50% in its second weekend, which is phenomenal for a blockbuster. TA accounted for 75% of the tickets sold this weekend, as well.

24. Raiden Wakanda Forever

Well, Japan won't even have TA until August, and imo that market there could push it pass 1B in foreign box office, and TA could end up with 1.B-2B WW when it's all said and done. But I agree that Avatar did not follow conventional box office trend, and thanks to its December release it had box office all to itself for months, and that's why it could substain its phenomenal run.

TA's OW is amazing, but to drop *only* 50% in its second week is just as incredible. It proves that TA isn't just an ordinary blockbuster, and it will indeed make history.

25. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

It will probably have 1BN in a few hours :word: so I'm sure it will finish somewhere between 1 & 2BN (hopefully nearer 2 than 1). Beating 2BN is a completely different story. It would need abnormal legs to achieve that and as you say unlike Avatar's release date which allowed it months to itself, Avengers is the first big summer film and will have to contend with every other big summer film in its next few months. I'm glad we're talking billions and not hundreds of millions anyway (or 10s of millions in Dark Shadow's case :woot:).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.